Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SV Delos
Quote | Reply
Anyone else seen this series on Youtube? Last round in Afghan this CIA guy i used to eat breakfast with told me about this series on youtube and got me hooked on it. I guess that's what CIA guys do? Anywho, what a great series where this sail boat travels all over the place. What fun that would be to travel like that. Anyone ever done anything like that?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started following the travels of Delos about 2 years ago. Maybe more.

Cruisers on youtube is kinda a thing. I have a bunch that I follow to do a little living vicariously. I grew up sailing and have done a number of bare boat charters but my wife would never go for a long term trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are youtubers call Gone with the Wynns. They started out living full time in RVs and have now switched to sailing full time. There Channel is pretty interesting. Sometimes a watch a couple other ones for RV info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following their youtube channel for a year now. I"ve watched most of their videos after binging on them late last year. Caught up now and watch their new episodes as they come out.

I think their production, editing, videography is heads and shoulders above the rest of the sailing channels. Especially this last season, they really upped their game. I like Brian's story and they've really paved a path for themselves doing this and maintaining that lifestyle. I think they make a decent living now off Patreon via their videos. They've said they've been approached numerous times from TV people to make what they do into a TV reality show, but have declined. Not wanting to give up any control of the content and decisions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been watching for a few years and look forward to each new video. Good team, great off the beaten path cruising, great vid quality. Hoping to follow in their footsteps on our boat in two years.
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been watching for a couple of years. Always eagerly await new episodes, and I agree that their video shooting and editing is head and shoulders above some of the other channels.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch them some, I like White Spot Pirates and a few others more. She is a German girl who sails mostly alone and really is squared away.
The sailing Youtubers I watch are below, I Patreon support the first two

Sail Life- A danish guy who amazes me with the work he does.
RAN Sailing- Genuinely good people.

Sailing Nervous
Wicked Salty
Coast Life-because he has a Hunter 34 as I do as well.

Oh and if you want to watch a train wreck Sailing Miss Lone Star is it. I hate it but can't turn away.
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New episode out, gearing up for their Atlantic crossing.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen it. But, it sounds kind of like a sailing version of "Long Way Round" and its sequel "Long Way Down" that follows Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman on epic adventure moto tours. They were on Netflix a while ago but can probably be found on various other vid stream services. As a GS rider, I think you'd enjoy both series.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the heads up on the other sailing channels. i will check them out

*and thanks too to other respondents who've pointed me towards some other channels to check out*

Post up some pic's of your Hunter if you don't mind--that would be really cool

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better than LWR is the story on adv rider of the trans siberian off road expedition. Thats amazing. As is the bridge crossing by the insane spanish rally rider
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pedalduck wrote:
I watch them some, I like White Spot Pirates and a few others more. She is a German girl who sails mostly alone and really is squared away.
The sailing Youtubers I watch are below, I Patreon support the first two

Sail Life- A danish guy who amazes me with the work he does.
RAN Sailing- Genuinely good people.

Sailing Nervous
Wicked Salty
Coast Life-because he has a Hunter 34 as I do as well.

Oh and if you want to watch a train wreck Sailing Miss Lone Star is it. I hate it but can't turn away.

RAN Sailing is good.

If you have seen them than check out Sailing Uma. They update weekly and it pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah!! New video came out today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pic of our Tayana 46' Pilothouse - we cruised Mexico and the Sea of Cortez for 6 mos and have sailed to Hawaii. Planning to depart on an open ended cruise in about 2 yrs after our youngest graduates high school.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. I've a interest in sailing but virtually no experience.

While in Panama a few friends and i whored ourselves out via 3x5 cards at the Balboa Yatch Club to 'crew' on various boats transiting the Panama Canal. Only really work involved was keeping the boat centered as we locked up or down. Rest of the journey was via diesel wind transiting Gatun Lake. Loads of fun and these rich old dudes always seemed to have very attractive young female crew members. Good times. Thanks for posting the pic

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way back in 1999 I had visions of sailing around the world. I lived in Vancouver and would go down to one of the marina's and talk about sailboats to anyone who would listen. It wasn't hard to find a receptive audience and I would grill them on the kind of boat I would need to sail through the southern ocean. I met one guy who sailed across the Atlantic and through the Caribbean and we ended up spending days talking about what it would take to sail around the world.

Once I figured out the cost of the boat, maintenance and mooring fees etc., etc. I gave up. I decided to do the same on a bicycle instead, it was a lot cheaper and no chance of drowning. I often watch Youtube videos of things like the Vendee Globe race and in particular anyone sailing in the southern ocean but at least for now, doing it is on hold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Anyone else seen this series on Youtube? Last round in Afghan this CIA guy i used to eat breakfast with told me about this series on youtube and got me hooked on it. I guess that's what CIA guys do? Anywho, what a great series where this sail boat travels all over the place. What fun that would be to travel like that. Anyone ever done anything like that?

/r

Haven't seen the series but I knew a woman who spent ten years on a sailboat circumventing the globe and then some. Apparently she is also the first black woman to do this around the world on a sailboat which she did with her Belgium husband. I lost touch but assume she's a landlubber now. They had an export business where they would sell local art/etc. from places they visited to galleries, etc in Europe. That's how they pulled it off.
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Hunter 34 last month. In a former life I drove Army ships, yes the Army has ships. I’m now just a Mobility Officer and missed the ocean so I thought I’d try this out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/49UAWBBVKyCyxnNr2
Last edited by: pedalduck: Oct 14, 17 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve started watching SV Bora Bora and I’m enjoying it. A British couple on a 40’ Van de Stadt sailboat. Good coverage of repairs and such. No one close to Delos that I’ve found but check this one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
I’ve started watching SV Bora Bora and I’m enjoying it. A British couple on a 40’ Van de Stadt sailboat. Good coverage of repairs and such. No one close to Delos that I’ve found but check this one out.

Last time this thread came up I binged watched the first 10-15 episodes of Delos. Stood up, took about 10 steps and proceeded to puke all over my kitchen floor. Had to take severely outdated Dromamine to get to sleep that night. Had forgotten all about it!
Quote Reply
Re: SV Delos [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something tells me you’re not cut out for a world cruise on a sailboat ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo! thanks

I'm back in Afghan and the OGA dude that turned me on to SV Delos is no longer on station here--so I appreciate the heads up on this new SV series. I'll check it out tonight.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the documentary Red Dot. It’s on Amazon Prime and I think it’s also on Netflix.

Guy sails a 27’ boat around the world nonstop via the Inside Passage and Cape Horn.

Amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gracias Amigo!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this particular youtube category, I am very fond of Free Range Sailing, which features an appealing Australian couple who do, know, and explain the most cool things as they have been circling Australia. Especially if you like fishing, you should check them out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next