Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadian Hostages Freed...
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read the first reports I thought it was odd that they had three children all born in captivity. Now the story is even more odd. Are devout Muslims okay with divorce? He was briefly married to Khadrs sister and it was her third marriage.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
When I read the first reports I thought it was odd that they had three children all born in captivity. Now the story is even more odd. Are devout Muslims okay with divorce? He was briefly married to Khadrs sister and it was her third marriage.

Depends on sect or interpretation. Generally, divorce is accepted and there are a few legal forms of it, and then the specifics are governed by sharia.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First I had heard of this. We always thought they were just plain dumb to go backpacking in an Afghanistan war zone. This makes the story even more interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Globe has a story this morning and there is contradictory information on how they were rescued but all of the accounts are vague.

The Pakistan government says their military, acting on a tip from U.S intelligence, intercepted the car that was being driven by the abductors after it crossed from Afghanistan into Pakistan, with the family in the trunk. There was a fire fight with all the abductors being killed.

The Whitehouse made a statement but did not mention the firefight. Trump, of course, said they were rescued because of his new found clout with Pakistan but also of course, provided no details. John Kelly was also cryptic and simply said they were working with their "partners in Pakistan."

Chrystia Freeland said the Canadian government played a big role in the negotiations and that they didn't pay a ransom (usually when they come out and say that it means they did but don't want it made public).

Boyle's father, a Federal Judge in Ottawa, said that he had received a call from his son who told him they were freed from the trunk of a car after a firefight killed the abductors (essentially confirming the story from the Pakistan government).

The interesting part to me is that after they were rescued, the Canadian (Boyle) refused to get into the U.S transport plane fearing he would be taken into custody by the U.S because of his past connection to the Khadr family.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and did they go hiking in Afghanistan when his wife was already pregnant? the whole story is weird.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course they chose to come to Canada. They will now chill for a bit, then sue the government for say, not rescuing them sooner which is against their right and freedoms and our dear leader will apologies and pay out 10 mils, a la Omar.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course they chose to come to Canada. They will now chill for a bit, then sue the government for say, not rescuing them sooner which is against their right and freedoms and our dear leader will apologies and pay out 10 mils, a la Omar.

Well, our Dear Leader has to be "fair" to everyone so that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Khadr connection is a bit disturbing, I also find it odd that there was no mention of his previous marriage to Omar's sister when they were originally "abducted".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Manchurian candidate situation
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Manchurian candidate situation

Let`s not forget that the wife is 'Murican. We do have mixed marriages every now and then :-)
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Oct 13, 17 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Canadian Hostages Freed... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hostage" now has 15 charges against him...

Clearly a victim of the #metoo campaign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I saw that, this story continues to get weirder.
Quote Reply