Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman louisville question
Quote | Reply
hey folks,

can anyone from the area suggest a good indoor or outdoor pool for some laps prior to the race?

also, any information regarding riding the course? we have a van that can transport the bikes to anywhere on the course, just not sure what makes sense. looking to do a bit of riding tomorrow but the traffic around here seems crazy and it didn't seem very bike friendly.

thanks!

john
Quote Reply
Re: ironman louisville question [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a Y in town - I don't fancy a dip in the river pre-race

They will probably give you a day pass if you bring ID
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that there is actually a practice swim in the river on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you get out of town, the course is a lot of country riding. Go out to the "loop".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might check out the Baptist Milestone complex:

http://www.baptistmilestone.com

They have a great facility with numerous levels of equipment and a sizable pool (25 yd, I think). You can get a free pass for trying it out. Or could probably buy a week pass as well.

As for riding, I haven't done the course in years, but I'm pretty sure it still uses River Road. I'd drive down to the water tower (at River Road and Zorn Ave). There are lots of boat ramps with parking lots. I'd avoid rush hour times, but you could get in a decent ride on the course (assuming it still goes that way).

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman louisville question [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ktri wrote:
Once you get out of town, the course is a lot of country riding. Go out to the "loop".

+1 on the loop. There are some pretty busy areas on the stock portion of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman louisville question [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we decided to just do a 30 min out and back on river road. judging from googlemaps, there seems to be a decent shoulder. we'll be in a pack of 5-8, so hopefully be a bit more visible.

i'll check out the Y and other facilities suggested.

thanks for the info!

any super healthy food options? fruit/acai bowl/juice shop kinda gigs to suggest? whole foods is 8 miles away.. blegh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mary T. Meagher Pool is a public pool. $5 to swim. 25m on one side, 25y on the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Mary T Meagher pool
Quote Reply