Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycle in rain or indoors?
Quote | Reply
I post a lot of newbie questions. I am almost ready for IMFL. I have a long ride tomorrow. It looks like it's going to rain. What do most of you seasoned IM do? Train indoors for 5 hours or bike in the rain for 5hrs. It's going to be a cold rain. I'm in Ontario and fall is here. I basically want to max out all of my long rides and am having a hard time deciding indoors or miserable outdoors. I am slow and new cyclist. I think I will have a 7 hour bike at best more likely 7.5 and there's a good chance I'll have a 4 hour run. I am a runner and new to cycling and swimming. It's been a learning curve!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [Laurabranson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally ride indoors when it rains. Yes, it's good to train in wet weather in case you race in it to learn how to handle your bike, but riding on the road is already with some risk. Reduced visibility and stopping ability for drivers along with slippery bike tires just makes me hop on the trainer.

I won't can a ride due to 20% chance of rain or scattered showers, but solid rain chances move everything indoors for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I personally ride indoors when it rains. Yes, it's good to train in wet weather in case you race in it to learn how to handle your bike, but riding on the road is already with some risk. Reduced visibility and stopping ability for drivers along with slippery bike tires just makes me hop on the trainer.

I won't can a ride due to 20% chance of rain or scattered showers, but solid rain chances move everything indoors for me.

Me too. A 5 hour trainer ride is one hell of a training ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh god! 5 hours on a trainer? I can't even comprehend thinking that's an option. I'd be out in the rain, in the cold, and in the dark...before I'd do a 5 hour indoor session. that's me.

But, as a new cyclist...possibly not comfortable in cold+rain...discretion might be a good choice. On the other hand...why is this an "either / or" choice? Why not both? I've done that many times....start on the trainer while the conditions suck, and then get out there as soon as they improve. Dunno what your hour by hour forecast looks like. But, if there is a window where it isn't going to rain....aim for that? Maybe get a little wet riding in for practice...then switch to indoors to get the whole ride in.

Random thoughts....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how bad I expect it to rain, but I also have a dedicated rain bike too w/ fenders, wider tires, MTB pedals, etc. I'd generally avoid thrashing my race set-up w/ the extra grit/wear and all, but that also assumes you already have enough miles under your belt to be comfortable w/ the race set-up already. I know other folks who are more used to indoors, but I really would rather be outside even if it requires extra raingear and such.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
I post a lot of newbie questions. I am almost ready for IMFL. I have a long ride tomorrow. It looks like it's going to rain. What do most of you seasoned IM do? Train indoors for 5 hours or bike in the rain for 5hrs. It's going to be a cold rain. I'm in Ontario and fall is here. I basically want to max out all of my long rides and am having a hard time deciding indoors or miserable outdoors. I am slow and new cyclist. I think I will have a 7 hour bike at best more likely 7.5 and there's a good chance I'll have a 4 hour run. I am a runner and new to cycling and swimming. It's been a learning curve!

I would avoid steep descents in rain if you're new to cycling. That said, biking in the rain is actually easier than driving in the rain. You can't hydroplane (within the bounds of typical cycling speeds) but you need to dramatically increase estimated stopping distances. Assume drivers don't see you (more than normal).
Last edited by: aravilare: Oct 12, 17 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With less than 4 weeks to go, there's more chance of getting sick or hurt doing a 7 hr wet ride.
Do an indoor ride, forget the 7 hrs on the trainer rubbish.
have you done any long trainer rides?
can you schedule the ride for another time in this week?
maybe add 30-60 min onto your longest trainer ride.

Now Slowtwitch, let's help the guy out with a sample 3-4 hr trainer ride
for my suggestion
3 hrs, no much longer
15 min warm up, the longer the better really
5-6Ă—30 (25 minutes at a steady rate, something that you feel you can hold, but know will eventually turn you to jelly, 5 min rest, toilet break, spin whatever)
15 min cool down
Shower,, give some extra time to the family, or take wife girlfriend or whatever to lunch. at a guess, you may have already used up a lot of goodwill, so getting some back pays dividends.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I'm a lady lol but often one of the guys and it's a 5 hour ride :-). I was just thinking the same thing - what if I get sick. My children have the runniest noses and one has a fever. Im popping the vitamins like crazy. I have done a 4 hour indoor ride. I actually really enjoy it. I get very lost in my head as an introvert it's not a bad thing, or I watch Netflix. My 5 hour ride is to be followed by a 1 1/2 hr run. I only have tomorrow for a long ride and then I have next Friday for another. With kids and running a small business every ounce of time is calculated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
Hi!

I'm a lady lol but often one of the guys and it's a 5 hour ride :-). I was just thinking the same thing - what if I get sick. My children have the runniest noses and one has a fever. Im popping the vitamins like crazy. I have done a 4 hour indoor ride. I actually really enjoy it. I get very lost in my head as an introvert it's not a bad thing, or I watch Netflix. My 5 hour ride is to be followed by a 1 1/2 hr run. I only have tomorrow for a long ride and then I have next Friday for another. With kids and running a small business every ounce of time is calculated.

You don't get sick from being cold and wet, unless you count hypothermia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be indoors because I value getting home in one piece. Car drivers already have enough trouble seeing cyclists let alone chance it in low visibility conditions.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:

I don't race long course but I ride inside even if it's sunny out. I've done plenty of 3 plus hour rides inside. I stop because I'm tired, not board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laurabranson wrote:
Hi!

Oops, my mistake re gender... but the message is still valid.
If there's illness already in your home, protecting your health has to be the priority.
3;30hr.ride, 30 min run, hot shower, take kids to movies...... or just grab a mini siesta.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I know :-) it's just when my kids are sick they seem to take me out! I know I sound super wimpy! being my first ironman it's big deal :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been doing a lot more inside even when it's nice out. Mostly because I'm nervous about my first 70.3. I'm trying to get as many consistent power rides to gauge my bike leg power as I can. Too much stopping and starting where I typically ride. Over an hour used to be miserable on the trainer. Still don't love it, but I can get through it now. 3 hours is doable, maybe 5 if it was perfect conditions and I'm in the perfect mood. But hell, the mental part is training in its own.
Last edited by: KG6: Oct 12, 17 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am in Ontario too, and if tomorrow is anything like today or yesterday, I would not choose to do five hours outdoors when I could be on my trainer instead.

I find wet, cold and windy training outdoors on busy roads (with stoplights depending where you live) is generally lower quality work than on my trainer.

Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in this situation before. I will usually plan some shorter loops close to home and switch to the trainer if it's too crappy or too unsafe to hit my goals. I also agree with some of the suggestions above, especially a shorter more intense ride. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Ontario person! I have decided to cycle indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Laurabranson wrote:
Hi!

You don't get sick from being cold and wet, unless you count hypothermia.
This. Also vitamins, airborne, etc.. they don't work to prevent cold and flu. Save your money.

I'd ride outside unless the conditions were such to make it unsafe to ride. Only then would I ride the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Laurabranson wrote:
Hi!

You don't get sick from being cold and wet, unless you count hypothermia.[/
quote]
This. Also vitamins, airborne, etc.. they don't work to prevent cold and flu. Save your money.

I'd ride outside unless the conditions were such to make it unsafe to ride. Only then would I ride the trainer.

Would you risk your first Ironman event on this being a fact.
Maybe you won't get a cold from the ride, but you may be cold, miserable and rundown when you get home... and then catch the lurgy from your children.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously - Get Zwift and TrainerRoad.

I don't ride outside between October and April, and that's in the UK, and i'll cover 130 miles a week all winter.
Weekend long ride = Up and down the mountains in Watopia a few times.
Serious intervals required = TrainerRoad.
An hour or so in Sweetspot = TrainerRoad on the iphone controlling the trainer and Zwift for visuals and the fun of belting past people.

No need to fear riding indoors. It is a real pleasure when spring comes and you go outside again for sure, but being cold and wet and the increased risk of injury and cars - no thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift has the diamondback challenge Competition on at the moment, ride 112 miles and you could win a new bike. Unfortunately it's an Andean.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do 5 hours on trainer but then it was 50c outside so AC seemed better option

I'd ride outside if it was rain and reasonable temps but if there was a real chill e.g. single digits and torrential rain i may reconsider
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle in rain or indoors? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a chance - I'd rather poke my own eyes out than spend 5 hours riding inside !

I don't mind riding outside in the rain and the experience is useful but it can get a bit miserable after a while.

Shorten your ride outdoors but ride harder (will help keep warmer), or do 90 minutes of hard intervals on the turbo. Do a run as well - or go for a swim. Or just have a 3 hour lie in :-) !

YMMV but no way I'd dream about riding for that long indoors - each to their own !

LG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ride indoors. I'd cut it to a 3 1/2 hour ride, 45 minute run. Get outside for your run (the rain will feel great at that point!). Can you do a Sufferfest or Spinervals DVD? Spinervals has some good 3+ hour ones. Yes, they are boring and I hate staring at other people cycling for that long, but they are a tough workout and you'll be toast by the end!

Best of luck in your first IM! Get it done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long trainer ride could be beneficial for a race like IMFL where you'll be in the same position and using the same muscle groups for much of the bike giving the layout of the course - good way to simulate what your race will be like. You can break it up a bit with some intervals worked in rather than just slogging it out watching movies the whole time. Be sure to get a run in (30-45 min easy) afterwards if you can in order to simulate what your legs will feel like on race day after that much time on a flat course. I did this both times that I did IMFL and I felt that it helped me.

On the flip side, I do think there is some benefit to riding in the rain - if its going to be cold and crappy then you'd likely be better off indoors, but I do think that you need to have that familiarity of riding in rain in the event it happens during your IM (the second time I did IMFL it poured for the last 30 miles of my ride), just to be used to handling your bike properly and also to be used to dealing with non-ideal weather. I know someone who would absolutely refuse to ride in rain (she had a bad crash once in wet conditions), and one year at IMLP pulled the plug on the bike when the skies opened up (she was just before the Keene descent too) and waited for the sag wagon rather than continuing on.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply

Prev Next