Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets?
Quote | Reply
I hate making blanket posts like this that appear to be easily answered but research is what got me to this point. I understand with older p2 and p3 bikes the frame geometry was different. Mainly the headtube being lower on the p3. It looks like in the newer models, 2017 to current including the p5, cervelo frames share the same geometry. The p2 and p3 look to share the same frame completely. The only difference between the p2 and p3 is the fork and the components. So if I spend the extra 2800 on a p3 ultergra di2 vs the p2 is the components? I spend the extra $2800 on an $1800 groupset? And if i'm looking at the Cervelo site right that's basically how the line up is spec'd for 2018. p2 is only available in 105. p3 can be had ultegra or ultegra di2. Ive gotta be missing something.
Last edited by: smboudreaux: Oct 12, 17 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [smboudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P2 fork is about 1mm wider on each side compared to the P3. Other than that it’s the same frame

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [smboudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frames are virtually identical. There's a very minor difference in the forks that you'd be hard pressed to see if the two were side by side. Basically, you're paying for a group set and a nicer cockpit.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add to that the fact that the two forks are aerodynamically identical (as confirmed by Cervelo themselves).
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddsg wrote:
Add to that the fact that the two forks are aerodynamically identical (as confirmed by Cervelo themselves).
\

I don't believe that is true. The S2 and S3 are similar, same frame, but different fork with the S2 fork being wider to make it cheaper to produce. They windtunnel tested the S2 vs S3 and there was no difference (or at least it was below the sensitivity of the wind tunnel).

The differences between the S2 vs S3 fork are similar to that of the P2 vs P3 fork. And the head tube and downtube area is similar, so maybe you can translate the S2 results to the P2, but maybe you can't. If I had to bet, if there is a difference, it is very small. I would buy the P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smboudreaux wrote:
I hate making blanket posts like this that appear to be easily answered but research is what got me to this point. I understand with older p2 and p3 bikes the frame geometry was different. Mainly the headtube being lower on the p3. It looks like in the newer models, 2017 to current including the p5, cervelo frames share the same geometry. The p2 and p3 look to share the same frame completely. The only difference between the p2 and p3 is the fork and the components. So if I spend the extra 2800 on a p3 ultergra di2 vs the p2 is the components? I spend the extra $2800 on an $1800 groupset? And if i'm looking at the Cervelo site right that's basically how the line up is spec'd for 2018. p2 is only available in 105. p3 can be had ultegra or ultegra di2. Ive gotta be missing something.

No more P2 Di2? That's a shame.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

I don't believe that is true. The S2 and S3 are similar, same frame, but different fork with the S2 fork being wider to make it cheaper to produce. They windtunnel tested the S2 vs S3 and there was no difference (or at least it was below the sensitivity of the wind tunnel).

The differences between the S2 vs S3 fork are similar to that of the P2 vs P3 fork. And the head tube and downtube area is similar, so maybe you can translate the S2 results to the P2, but maybe you can't. If I had to bet, if there is a difference, it is very small. I would buy the P2.

Damon Rinard who used to work for Cervelo posted on here that the differences in forks was about 1 second over 112 miles.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I had the S2/S3 confused with the P2/P3.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
smboudreaux wrote:

No more P2 Di2? That's a shame.

Unless I'm looking at the cervelo site wrong, it's very structured now. P2 is strictly a 105 bike. I sorta understand. It's a smarter business model. I don't understand the 2800 and on for 1800 worth of parts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're looking at the site correctly. however, there are plenty of NOS P2 Di2's.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
you're looking at the site correctly. however, there are plenty of NOS P2 Di2's.

What does NOD mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOS...New Old Stock, brand new leftovers from prior years.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 4.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Damon Rinard who used to work for Cervelo posted on here that the differences in forks was about 1 second over 112 miles.

1 second? whats the point of manufacturing to forks?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the story went something like this....

They designed/tested a nice narrow and aero fork for the P3
Previously mentioned narrowness required more expensive high modulus carbon to make stiff enough/safe enough to produce
When it came to spec the P2 the cost of the fork was considered prohibitive
Designed a fork with a thicker crown cross section to make it less expensive to produce
Never took it to the tunnel and just shipped it

After the bikes had shipped they went to the tunnel and said...hey lets test this and they turned out to be within margin of error of each other.

Now the real question is why do they still produce the more expensive fork...unless it is lighter...but still.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo has been making some interesting decisions on their bikes.

The P2/P3 frames, Magura hydraulic on the P5, P5-X beam bike instead of double diamond frame, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m also looking at the P2 or P3 for my next tri bike since I like that they use a standard cockpit and brake setup which is easier to work on. Cervelo looks like they’re running a sale on 2017 models and list the following on their website.
P2 with 105 - $2400
P2 with Ultegra Di2 6870 - $3200
P3 with mechanical Ultegra 6870 - $3400

Assuming I could find these three models in my size, I wold be leaning towards the P2 with the Ultegra Di2 6870. Since the 2018 P3s have the new Ultegra 8070, would you guys still get the 6870?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if retailers will sell the 2018 P2 as a frameset only? I like the new frame, but not the stock groupset or cockpit
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo won’t sell P2 as a frame set

Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get a P2 frame set for $2400 :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [metallicllama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I went through this debate and ended up with a 2017 P2 with Ultegra Di2 for $3,200. Fantastic value IMO. The other choice was a P3 with Ultegra mechanical for around the same price, but I didn’t see the advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Cervelo won’t sell P2 as a frame set

yea but the retailer can do whatever they wanna do. i doubt it would be advantageous to the customer though. the chance of a shop doing it is very, very small b/c they will experience no return.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. My LBS had Black Friday/end of the year pricing, and I was also able to pick up a 2017 P2 Ultegra Di2. It was actually a factory 105 build, but the shop swapped out the derailleurs and shifters for the same price difference as the Cervelo Di2 upgrade. The sales staff said the P2 Ultegra Di2 was their best seller this year and Cervelo could not keep them in stock so I was happy they offered to convert the bike to Di2. Cannot wait to take the bike out, but I'm out of town for work for the next month.

Just wanted to check a couple things since the shop converted mine and they did not have any factor P2 Di2 builds to compare with. Does the P2 Di2 build come with the 3 port or 5 port Di2 junction box? My bike got built with the 3 port. I was considering upgrading to the Di2 TT brake levers in the future, but would also need the 5 port junction box. Not sure if I will upgrade soon since the Profile Design base bar does not look like it has great routing for the Di2 wires from the TT brake levers. Although, one of the main reasons I wanted Di2 was for shifting at the brake levers. Also, do the Di2 builds come with the Shimano programmer to connect to your PC?

For the previous post wondering about the P2 frame set cost, it might be better to try and pick up a 2017 model on sale. With sale pricing, you could get a complete 105 P2 for around $2400.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [metallicllama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
metallicllama wrote:
Does the P2 Di2 build come with the 3 port or 5 port Di2 junction box? My bike got built with the 3 port.

Yes, the P2 Di2 has 3port.
You could get avoid buying another EW90 by using some combo of JC130/JC41/JC200
Maybe route it all into a JC41 at the bars and put the EW90 on top of the seatpost.
Lots of things that can be done with Di2.

The stock bike just has the external battery charger. If it had an internal battery the charger connects to your PC for firmware updates.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Cervelo P2 vs P3 - same frame, different groupsets? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks cyclenutnz. I was not sure what the factory Di2 build came with, and thanks for confirming. I also did not know there are Di2 options for junctions and splitters that can work with the 3 port junction box. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to upgrade the to the Di2 TT brake levers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next