Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona???
Quote | Reply
So lots of threads on who we think will win or place, but who do you want to win? And lets keep it to the pros please, I know your spouse would look great on the top step of the podium..

For me it is Sebastian Kienle. He embodies all the traits that I loved while competing in this sport and his attitude is refreshing. He got to the top of the mountain and yet wants/needs that view again, but is ok with the climb along the way. With all his success he has felt the intense need to give something back, donating $30k of his hard earned dollars to keep the Kona pools going and free.

On the Womens side I would love to see Heather Jackson win. I have watched her since the beginning when she did Hawaii for the first time as an AG'er. Hell, I was her first agent! I got an email from some guy I didn't know saying he had an extra bedroom he would share to some athlete in need, and somehow Heather's name came across my emails and I facilitated the connection. But beyond that it has been a pleasure to watch her hard fought battle for the past decade to get to where she is now. Some success along the way to keep motivated, but really a journeyman of the sport working for every second of gains in the sport.

Gonna be a tough road for both of them this Saturday, but as we know anything can happen in Kona and someone has to be there at the end to collect the top prize..
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men: Lionel. My head says no and I wouldn't put money on him but I love the story of where he comes from which he notes is why he wants to win.

Women: Rachel. I would like the story of how ridiculous her race schedule had to be to get there and of course, mothers ftw

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men: has to be Sebi for me. monty has captured it perfectly.
Women: Rachel Joyce. Have loved following her since I saw her race Ironman 70.3 in Galway in 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My heart is saying Lionel Sanders but my mind is saying Jan Frodeno.

On the women's side it's all Daniela Ryf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick Lange
Lionel Sanders
Sebastian Kienle

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an American I would love to see winners from the US, so my picks in that regard would be TO & Corbin.

Because of his story, I would not be upset if Sanders won.

For betting purposes, definitely Frodeno & Ryf.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sebastian. For all the same reasons as you.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Hoffman on the mens side. Used to know him and his coach and I like the work he puts in. Super friendly and encouraging person with what seems like good all around life experiences.

Ryf if she kills it. If not then I really just want it to come down to a race. Top ten all within 10 minutes of each other. That would be an awesome article to interview and read about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men: Sebi
Women: Rachel Joyce

Both seem like genuine people with a good sense of humour
Last edited by: Barlow: Oct 12, 17 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men's podium: Lionel, Josh, Sebi
Women's podium: Lucy Charles, Michelle Vesterby, Sarah Crowley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want? Potts. Do it for the swimmers, cap off a career.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want Sanders to win because if he does it will be highly entertaining. Not only in the race but here on ST afterwards as well.

On the women's side, anyone but Ryf. Not really a fan and also like to root for the underdog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potts - Love the way he's raced a lot across all the distances and he's got to be close to retirement.

T.O. - Team RWB and his wife is out of work right now.

Hoffman - Despite his results, he seems to be an underdog.

Thomas, Hanson, Russell, Evoe - Because they are American.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You.

Good luck.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ya Andy would have been my 2nd choice for want, swimmer, longevity, grinder, and the national pride factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Ya Andy would have been my 2nd choice for want, swimmer, longevity, grinder, and the national pride factor.

And he's a really nice guy. Met him at Oceanside this year and he's incredibly cool. Love the guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men's:
1a) TO
1b) Hoffman
3) Sanders

TO and Hoffman b/c both are Americans and just incredibly nice guys. Sanders simply b/c I'm a huge fan.

Women:
1) Joyce
2) Brandon

Joyce b/c of the insane year she's put together the year after childbirth just to get back (and I was already a fan before). Brandon b/c she's local and also just an incredibly nice person, always smiling.
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dream would be a Frodo and Sanders sprint to the finish with Sanders taking it by a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanders for obvious reasons and Sarah P..
But let me say that I honestly can't root against anyone. After listening to all the interviews this week they all seem like geniuinely nice folks and down to earth! Something you don't see in other sports!
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You.

Good luck.

Thats Hughe Blake.. And I needed a lot more than luck over there. Well I guess it would have been lucky one year to have it snow and be 45 degrees with a driving cold rain storm. I could have been a contender...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
men: Lionel all the way, he's so open about his training and gives so much of his time so to his fans, he even met my friend and me for an interview in Mont Tremblant after 6pm, he hadn't had his super, the day of the race. I'm not so sure Frodo is going to run away with it this year, I think he will be pushed much harder on the bike this year.

Women: Daniela and Daniela. She's an UBER biker which I tend to cheer for, and I don't think anyone has a chance to beat her this year.
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men - Ben Hoffman - he's american and has a great set of calves haha! I would love to see him in the end with some of the top Germans battle it out

Women - Rachel Joyce - She has come close for long enough, came back after having a baby and had a great year and it would be nice to see her take the win

Other choices - Terenzo Bozzone, Andy Potts, Linsey Corbin.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta go with Lionel for the men's. The smart money is on Frodo but I don't care. It's his story that gets me, because it's something that a lot of us who came to this sport a little later and took an unconventional path here can relate to. If he wins, there will be some really interesting conversations on here and in the greater triathlon community, too. I'd also like to see an American or two on the podium, and Ben Hoffman looks to have a good chance this year.

For the women's, I'd love to see Heather Jackson win. She's a badass. Or Lucy Charles, because she can probably outswim most of the men's field and apparently her bike and run are getting pretty quick, too.
Quote Reply
Re: New Thread, Who do you want to win Kona??? [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel because I chatted with him a few weeks after he won Muskoka 70.3, we have a similar party hard history, and he hooked me up with his documentary guy.

Pete Jacobs because I am battling a not too dissimilar illness that causes disabling fatigue and he gives me hope I will return to the land of HTFU.

Michelle Vesterby because she's funny.

But I'd put my money on Frodeno and Ryf (who also had some fatigue issues a few years back and shared her treatments with me).

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben Hoffman and Rachel Joyce. I haven't met either of them personally, but from interviews they both appear to be fantastic representatives for our sport who have both finished second in previous years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next