Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New QR PR6 disc
Quote | Reply
Didn't see anyone post this yet, so here you go:

http://www.quintanarootri.com/...x-disc-electric-blue

I would definitely like to see some more photos if anyone is in Kona at their booth.

marceves.com
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [skiermarc127] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah there is another post about it, but that thread is more about anticipating it and then the typical 'let's trash disc brakes' posters.

I have been in touch with QR about it as I plan on getting it - my first new tri bike ever as I typically buy used. However in this case, there are features on it that I want that I can't buy used.

Here is a bit of info that might help folks:

The frame only includes the Qbox in the back, the integrated stem and bento box (it is attached to the stem), the thru axles, fork and seat post. It does not include anything else. They are not sure of the depth of bolts to mount the disc brakes - something they are new to as this is their first bike with disc brakes.

I saw one poster who said they wish QR had changed more on this bike and specifically wanted the fork to look like the Scott Foil. Yes, that would be nice. However, if you notice, the Scott Foil has exposed brake lines whereas the QR PR6 does not. I believe the exposed brake lines hurt aerodynamics more than not having a bit of extra carbon on the fork partially shielding the disc brake caliper.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned in another thread I liked their new red frame and I'm digging the blue as well. In general I think the bike is really nice looking - nice lines, angles, not complex, and clean. From a looks standpoint, it's head and shoulders above it's disc breathern (P5x, SuperSlice, and Parlee TTir) IMHO.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know its not just QR.....but I still find it really disappointing/silly that a bike's price point is 10-12k US. Ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how people can really get excited about any new bikes anymore...They are so highly priced now, it just kills likelihood of ownership for most (and certainly for me...and I'm not some broke student or min wage earner).
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The fact that every time a company comes out with big updated change (speed cconcept, IAx, P5x, PRsix disc, etc) we're looking at a model costing 5 figures is a bummer. You could point fingers in a lot of directions as manufacturers are coming out with $4200 wheels, $1000+ aerobars, $465 saddles, etc. I do wonder if one of these companies decided to offer it at half the price if they could make more money with a higher volume on a lower margin. That said, I Annie Hed said on Lance's podcast a while back that they were really busy trying to keep up with demand for the P5x

I still get exited for two reasons. I like 'window shopping' and reading about new tech and what not. Kin of like I like reading about and looking at high end cars even though I can afford them. The second is that eventually the tech trickles down to affordable models.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are talking about a Premier Bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I know its not just QR.....but I still find it really disappointing/silly that a bike's price point is 10-12k US. Ridiculous.

+1

I got really excited when I saw the startingprice.. until i realized it was the framesetprice. Seems like i'll be rolling along on my 10y/o p3c until bikemanufacturers get their shit togheter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what does this all mean for the prices of other QR bikes? Will the rim-brake PR6's become much cheaper? If so, how quickly?

What about the PR5 and 3? Any effect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I'm going to get the frame only and do a build that will be better than their $12.5K version for around $9K. Yes, $9K is still nuts. But, my current bike is from 2004 and since I don't frequently buy a bike and will keep this one for the next ten years, I feel it is a good long-term investment, particularly for me since I have had a head on collision with a car due to a rim brake failure (the manufacturer settled with me) and I want the extra safety of a disc brake no matter how much anyone on this forum mocks their uselessness.

Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of interest, did you have a rim fail, or a brake caliper fail?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brake pad. It was less than a month old and you could tell from the wear pattern that it was defective.

Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having just bought a PR6 at the beginning of this year, I'm not in the market for a new one any time soon. But I sure do like the new colors. And I like the disc braking (vs carbon rim braking which is better than it used to be, but still not fantastic).

Pricing for new tri bikes is still driving me crazy. As much as I love these bikes, and have a soft spot for QR/Litespeed, these are too rich for my blood at the moment.

I 2003, I bought a Kestrel Talon SL, w/Hed Aerobars, full DA, 2(!) sets of Hed aero wheels (Alps and H3s), etc. Everything on that bike was at the very top of the market, and it's nearly exactly what Macca was riding to insanely fast IM times. I paid $5k for all of that. I got a deal on the two wheel sets and I already had a Powertap wheel, so lets even call it $6k. Still...if you take inflation since then...you come up well shy of $8k. That's just a mid-market, decent race machine set up today. It sure doesn't even remotely begin to cover the cost of the rigs under the pros. Some of those are probably punching well past $20k if they're running the new Zipp 858s, etc. If you want just a decent, nicely appointed DA race machine, you're still well above $10k.

I get it...things aren't free. And I don't think the brands are just pulling prices out of their asses. I'm happy to pay when I can justify it. There is a reason things cost what they do, for the most part. But the market is leaving me behind. Which is somewhat disconcerting, because my earning power is much, much greater than it used to be. At the end of the day, I just can't justify $10-15k for a bike. I've put about $5k into my QR and it's just about perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad (and not surprised), that I am not alone in my sentiments. The thing is, if lovers of the sport, that have good incomes, are feeling this way (being pushed out of buying new) , then what does it say for the likelihood of growth / ease of entry for the sport? IMHO, this is the bigger problem, that doesn't seem to phase the bike makers right now, but it should!
If you can't get guys, who have 5k+ into an older bike to justify / want to buy the new price points, how the heck do you think newbies are going to? Not gonna happen... And for the few that do, it's a very small pool, imo.
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't know how this improves. I run a lot of programs that involve high end engineering, product design and development. That costs a lot to do. The level of design we're asking of bike manufacturers does NOT come cheaply at all. The amount of design, test, and product support we expect is probably the biggest driver of these costs we're seeing. The days of Steve Hed, the tinkerer, and Ernesto, the lugged steel artist bringing us magically cool bike stuff are gone. We've got real, and very expensive engineering and design involved. It's hard for me to gripe too much or demand a cheaper bike when I know what these things cost to do well.
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
I honestly don't know how this improves. I run a lot of programs that involve high end engineering, product design and development. That costs a lot to do. The level of design we're asking of bike manufacturers does NOT come cheaply at all. The amount of design, test, and product support we expect is probably the biggest driver of these costs we're seeing. The days of Steve Hed, the tinkerer, and Ernesto, the lugged steel artist bringing us magically cool bike stuff are gone. We've got real, and very expensive engineering and design involved. It's hard for me to gripe too much or demand a cheaper bike when I know what these things cost to do well.

As an engineer myself, I agree with what you said.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New QR PR6 disc [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
brake pad. It was less than a month old and you could tell from the wear pattern that it was defective.

As an FYI disc brakes have brake pads too.
Quote Reply