Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport?
Quote | Reply
Detroit Marathon website states runners need to carry their passport during the race since the course travels into Canada. How did you carry your passport? Did you protect it with a ziplock or something? Carry a fanny pack?
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it says you need to carry a WHTI compliant document. Your passport is one such document, but you may instead carry (assuming you have one) a Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License, or Trusted Traveler Program Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST), all of which are less bulky than a Passport.

Personally, I'd probably get the Passport Card and sew it into a pocket on my top or shorts.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 11, 17 16:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a Spibelt to carry a passport and it worked great. Also held my cell phone which was good to have for all my selfies...

https://spibelt.com/...he-original-spibelt/
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much to both of you. Too late to get any of the other forms.

Did anyone actually check to see if you had your passport on you? What is the risk of not carrying it?

Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the full, and the half 3 times. Never have a run with any sort of ID. Make sure your bib is visible and don't leave the course. It's a great race, especially the first half. Remember there are two big hills, the bridge and the tunnel. Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Did anyone actually check to see if you had your passport on you? What is the risk of not carrying it?

Thanks, John

WTF??????????

Are all of the THOUSANDS of people running the Detroit marathon ACTUALLY being STOPPED AT THE BORDER and checked-REALLY??????????????????????????????????

And then, are they checked on their way back into the USA-REALLY??????????????????????????????

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the full with my passport in a SPIbelt. I was never asked to present it and I don't think that's something that really happens. But it could happen, which is why you're told to carry proper ID.
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

WTF??????????

Are all of the THOUSANDS of people running the Detroit marathon ACTUALLY being STOPPED AT THE BORDER and checked-REALLY??????????????????????????????????

And then, are they checked on their way back into the USA-REALLY??????????????????????????????

I think you are making fun of my question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run the full three times and carried only an enhanced drivers license with me, never had an issue. There is usually a document check during packet pick up. Keep your bib visible and the border guards won't bother you.

The tunnel is only like mile 7-8 of the course but can be surprisingly tough with the long grades and temperature changes on cooler years...it can be quite warm down there.

Quote | Reply
I have a belt that you can slip a phone/ID into. So that's where my passport goes. There will be plenty of pouches/options at the expo.

The risk of not carrying it is a rather unpleasant discussion/dentention by border security. It's not worth that. Don't mess around, carry your passport/border ID just in case.

That said, the only real risk of being stopped at the border is if your bib isn't visible on your front. This isn't the race to bandit -- believe it or not, people do it.
Last edited by: jeremyscarroll: Oct 11, 17 20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

WTF??????????

I absolutely am NOT making fun of your question; I AM questioning race directors that don't have this figured out for you, the participant, in advance!

If I have trained and paid to run a race, I expect to have a relatively unobstructed path to the finish line. Courses with trains, car traffic, or border patrol agents stopping your forward progress should not be chosen.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

WTF??????????

I absolutely am NOT making fun of your question; I AM questioning race directors that don't have this figured out for you, the participant, in advance!

If I have trained and paid to run a race, I expect to have a relatively unobstructed path to the finish line. Courses with trains, car traffic, or border patrol agents stopping your forward progress should not be chosen.

The fact that you cross an international border is exactly the reason people choose to run this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Thanks, John

WTF??????????

The only people I've ever heard about being stopped are people who didn't have bibs. They'll pull people at the expo for advanced screening. There's no actual threat of being stopped at the border if you do things correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run the race multiple times and always carried my passport in a running belt or pocket. I have never been stopped, but have seen Border Patrol question runners whose numbers weren't visible or who had hydration packs. I carry it for peace of mind.

To the question above, you have to show your passport or enhanced driver's license to pick up your bib. I was pulled for a random screening once but it usually a quick and easy process. If Border Patrol can't see your bib when you cross, you will know about it in a hurry.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the point of having your passport on you is in the unlikely event anything goes wrong and you have to leave the course, you have identification.

Say something happens in Canada where you cannot continue, you'll need your passport to get home.
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
I believe the point of having your passport on you is in the unlikely event anything goes wrong and you have to leave the course, you have identification.

Say something happens in Canada where you cannot continue, you'll need your passport to get home.

Thank you to all, I appreciate the responses. I will figure out a good method to carry it. I didn't want to get it all sweaty or covered in gatorade as I use it for work travel. But I will carry it just to ensure to hassle.
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I've only missed this race twice in the last 17 or 18 years. Carried a birth certificate back in '99 or 2000, and haven't carried anything since. That being said, I usually ignore all the emails they send (because there are so damn many), but this year happened to open the one that said we had to carry ID. I have NEXUS now and a small zippered pocket in my race shorts, so I'll likely carry that. I don't think I've ever seen a single runner stopped though.

Quote | Reply
Gervs wrote:
I believe I've only missed this race twice in the last 17 or 18 years. Carried a birth certificate back in '99 or 2000, and haven't carried anything since. That being said, I usually ignore all the emails they send (because there are so damn many), but this year happened to open the one that said we had to carry ID. I have NEXUS now and a small zippered pocket in my race shorts, so I'll likely carry that. I don't think I've ever seen a single runner stopped though.

Thanks,. I think I also read no hydration belts? I usually run with a fuel belt so I guess that is out too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen people stopped carrying hydration packs; in theory, they are big enough to smuggle something in. I have never seen anyone stopped for a hydration belt or a hand-held bottle (which I have done multiple times).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, if you are in need of a method to carry your passport (belts, etc.), there will be opportunities a'plenty to purchase them at the expo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the pleasure of spibelting passports for myself and my wife this year. Didn’t have the foresight to get cards instead of books. All that said, I wouldn’t mind being detained in Windsor for a while. Haven’t been there since I was 19. Got a shoe thrown at me while singing karaoke at the Crazy Horse. I guess Mr. Jones sounded better in my head than on stage. Otherwise it was a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do not make you show it on the way back but my hunch is one of the concerns is that if you end up quitting the race for some reason and get stranded in Canada needing a ride back, you end up being a normal traveler and will have a heck of time getting getting back into the US without a passport if you are not running with the other runners. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
They do not make you show it on the way back but my hunch is one of the concerns is that if you end up quitting the race for some reason and get stranded in Canada needing a ride back, you end up being a normal traveler and will have a heck of time getting getting back into the US without a passport if you are not running with the other runners. ;-)

Yes - this makes sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Detroit Marathon - Run with your passport? [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
I've seen people stopped carrying hydration packs; in theory, they are big enough to smuggle something in. I have never seen anyone stopped for a hydration belt or a hand-held bottle (which I have done multiple times).

Good to know about the hydration belt - I prefer to carry my own fluid when possible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next