Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution
Quote | Reply
So, to kill some time until Saturday, let me start the 50th post in the this Forum about the unused screws above the Bottom Bracket on thousands of Cervelo P2, P3 and P5. Looking around in the worlds transit zones, I really don't understand why somebody hasn't jumped on this yet. I understand the measurements are unique for every size, however with 3D printers being more widely available it shouldn't be the biggest obstacle anymore, and people who spend 3-10.000 USD on bicycles usually have some money left for smart storage solutions. Here is what I have gathered so far:

1) TorHans apparently has the 3D printer files ready for years, however waiting for (the money from?) Cervelo. If Cervelo didn't confirm for many years, they will certainly not do it anytime soon when they want to sell the P5X with the main selling point of integrated storage/nutrition solutions. So these files sit on a server somewhere and will never see daylight, while lots of people wait for exactly this product. A little bit of a shame. Having contacted them, they said it is intellectual property and they are not giving it out. I totally understand that, but it is a shame
2) Drag2Zero said they will be looking into producing something for the P Series similar to what Sebastian Kienle will be using on Saturday in Kona on his Scott Plasma 5. However, no news on that front, and they didn't answer my question for updates yet. Having a look at my P5 with the Elite Crono bottle the shape doesn't look too different to what the Scott Plasma unit currently has, I wonder if anyone has tried to make it fit with a few alterations?
3) You can find a few "do it yourself" options in this forum, some converted from other units, and some built completely from scratch. Some interesting approaches for people who love to work on their bikes, but nothing that would satisfy the masses of bike owners out there
4) Did I miss anything?

Pleased to hear your thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
let me start the 50th post in the this Forum about the unused screws above the Bottom Bracket
Please don't. It's not too late to delete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
Ben6 wrote:
let me start the 50th post in the this Forum about the unused screws above the Bottom Bracket

Please don't. It's not too late to delete.

It is now!!!

He he he

"So, to kill some time until Saturday, let me start the 50th post in the this Forum about the unused screws above the Bottom Bracket on thousands of Cervelo P2, P3 and P5. Looking around in the worlds transit zones, I really don't understand why somebody hasn't jumped on this yet. I understand the measurements are unique for every size, however with 3D printers being more widely available it shouldn't be the biggest obstacle anymore, and people who spend 3-10.000 USD on bicycles usually have some money left for smart storage solutions. Here is what I have gathered so far:
1) TorHans apparently has the 3D printer files ready for years, however waiting for (the money from?) Cervelo. If Cervelo didn't confirm for many years, they will certainly not do it anytime soon when they want to sell the P5X with the main selling point of integrated storage/nutrition solutions. So these files sit on a server somewhere and will never see daylight, while lots of people wait for exactly this product. A little bit of a shame. Having contacted them, they said it is intellectual property and they are not giving it out. I totally understand that, but it is a shame
2) Drag2Zero said they will be looking into producing something for the P Series similar to what Sebastian Kienle will be using on Saturday in Kona on his Scott Plasma 5. However, no news on that front, and they didn't answer my question for updates yet. Having a look at my P5 with the Elite Crono bottle the shape doesn't look too different to what the Scott Plasma unit currently has, I wonder if anyone has tried to make it fit with a few alterations?
3) You can find a few "do it yourself" options in this forum, some converted from other units, and some built completely from scratch. Some interesting approaches for people who love to work on their bikes, but nothing that would satisfy the masses of bike owners out there
4) Did I miss anything?

Pleased to hear your thoughts! "

Last edited by: Ai_1: Oct 12, 17 3:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
So, to kill some time until Saturday, let me start the 50th post in the this Forum about the unused screws above the Bottom Bracket on thousands of Cervelo P2, P3 and P5. Looking around in the worlds transit zones, I really don't understand why somebody hasn't jumped on this yet. I understand the measurements are unique for every size, however with 3D printers being more widely available it shouldn't be the biggest obstacle anymore, and people who spend 3-10.000 USD on bicycles usually have some money left for smart storage solutions. Here is what I have gathered so far:

4) Did I miss anything?

Pleased to hear your thoughts!

Just curious, but does anyone know why would TorHans be waiting for money or anything else from Cervelo? If they already have a spec, the ability to produce, and a pretty large number of potential buyers (a good % of whom would probably jump on something like this), why wouldn't they just bring it to market? It seems like a pretty solid bet they would sell a large number, so I must be missing something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably because it is a slower setup than nothing in the frame, and all around inferior to a behind the seat setup, which can be made drag neutral or even make you faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Probably because it is a slower setup than nothing in the frame, and all around inferior to a behind the seat setup, which can be made drag neutral or even make you faster.

Possibly, even though they would sell thousands before anyone would take it the windtunnel to find out, and even afterwards.

But unlikely, if Sebastian Kienle is using something similar in Kona. I know every bike is different, but since I don't think he is taking a flat kit with him having the technical service directly behind him, its probably empty, which means his bike is MORE aero with it than without it. And he spends more time in windtunnels and on tracks than some of us spend on the bike at all. Doubt something very similar is more aero on the Plasma 5 but has a major aero penalty on a P5.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lenny07 wrote:

Just curious, but does anyone know why would TorHans be waiting for money or anything else from Cervelo? If they already have a spec, the ability to produce, and a pretty large number of potential buyers (a good % of whom would probably jump on something like this), why wouldn't they just bring it to market? It seems like a pretty solid bet they would sell a large number, so I must be missing something.

The market is too low for something like this. How many people own the newer P2/P3 or P5 that can use this? They would be making a part for 3 bikes only. The manufacturing costs would probably exceed their profit.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the BB bottle in the pics of the Airstreeem bike from Kona.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's to hoping they do it anyway. I mean it's plastic molded/printed into a specific shape that will cost, I dunno $75-$100, right? The margins on each unit should be pretty healthy I would imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was made by the company for that bike

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:

Now D2Z launched a new homepage with their frame storage solution in the shop:

https://drag2zero.co.uk/...-plasma-storage-box/

And they claim: "The placement and shape of the storage box assists with air flow around the frame, improving aerodynamics over no bottle"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To complement the Plasma 5 frame we have designed a Plasma specific storage box.

Don't use it for a P5.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lenny07 wrote:
The margins on each unit should be pretty healthy I would imagine.

You would be horrified at the mould costs for blow moulded plastic (which is the most likely way to make this part). A company would need to be sure of selling thousands of units to make it a worthwhile product
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Now D2Z launched a new homepage with their frame storage solution in the shop:

https://drag2zero.co.uk/...-plasma-storage-box/

And they claim: "The placement and shape of the storage box assists with air flow around the frame, improving aerodynamics over no bottle"

I've been thinking about designing up and 3D printing something similar for the Elite CX bottle on my NP2...I'll be field testing it over no bottle on DT, of course ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
lenny07 wrote:
The margins on each unit should be pretty healthy I would imagine.

You would be horrified at the mould costs for blow moulded plastic (which is the most likely way to make this part). A company would need to be sure of selling thousands of units to make it a worthwhile product

Approximately 800$, it is what cost me mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently in the process of designing a custom fitted storage box for the new P2 and P3 frames. I used all 3 of the screws to help secure it, and I think the bottom screw is invaluable. Once everything is done up tight it doesn't move. That's with the weight of a few C02 cylinders, 2 tubes, minitool and some other puncture related equipment inside too.
Attached are some pics of my work in process, I can only realistically make this using 3D printing, as the internal design is quite unique. I've used 3D printing a lot so I'm confident it'll work.
Currently it's just to put on my own bike, but if others need it I may make a few.

Phillip
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [Seyseys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sign me up for one!!

Quote | Reply
That looks great!
What size is your bike? I believe what didn't make financial sense for Torhans is that frame sizes change the geometry of the down/ seat tubes. So each storage unit would be size specific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesssssssss please! Do you have all the frame size measurements?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seyseys wrote:
I am currently in the process of designing a custom fitted storage box for the new P2 and P3 frames. I used all 3 of the screws to help secure it, and I think the bottom screw is invaluable. Once everything is done up tight it doesn't move. That's with the weight of a few C02 cylinders, 2 tubes, minitool and some other puncture related equipment inside too.
Attached are some pics of my work in process, I can only realistically make this using 3D printing, as the internal design is quite unique. I've used 3D printing a lot so I'm confident it'll work.
Currently it's just to put on my own bike, but if others need it I may make a few.

Phillip

Winner!

If you are going to do a run of several, sign me up for one!

I'm assuming it will fit on the P2 just as well as it fits on the P3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are taking orders, I would also like to beta test this. :) What would you charge and do you need to know individual frame size? That is awesome!

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fantastic, would definitely love to snag one of these.

What exactly is the reason why this doesn't exist already?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested too!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign me up please!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P-Series frame triangle storage solution [timtri13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please share supplier cause tooling in Taiwan is crazy expensive as David said. My stem covers quote is 24,000 usd for my new stem design for plastic injection tooling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next