Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is cycling dynamics even useful?
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy my first power meter and I've decided that a peddle based system seems like a good way to go as I have three bikes I regularly switch between and don't want to shell out the money for three power meters or multiple sets for different wheels. The favero assioma seems like a great option at the price its at but that means that I wouldn't get the cycling dynamics that the p1 pedals or the new vector 3s offer. For those of you with experience with this, are those dynamics actually useful for anything besides wasting hours of my time looking into countless metrics that don't really matter? I'm just trying to decide if those are worthwhile enough metrics to cost an extra $200
Quote Reply
Re: Is cycling dynamics even useful? [qwert518] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Is cycling dynamics even useful? [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive read that as well as the powertap blog they wrote about their cycling metrics. I however don't feel like either go into depth about how useful they actually are during training and I was just wondering if anyone feels like they have personally gotten any benefit out of the metrics training wise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Vector 1's (recently upgraded to Vector 2 pods). If you're asking about Vector vs. some other brand, I can't necessarily speak to that. If you're asking about single-sided Vector (3s) vs. double-sided power readings (Vector 3) I'll say this... the cycling dynamics, if they are useful, are for a smarter person than me. For me, they fall into the category of "that's interesting, but not actionable". However, having power readings from both pedals vs. reading one pedal and doubling it to get total power... that's of huge importance. One thing that cycling dynamics have shown me is that I rarely pedal at a 50%/50% power balance from left to right, so simply taking one pedal and doubling the reading is a far inferior technique to actually reading power from both pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the advanced metrics matter, I haven’t seen a way yet. Do the different companies even give equivalent output? I’m not even convinced L/R balance is meaningful outside of injury recovery.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is cycling dynamics even useful? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
"that's interesting, but not actionable"

^^^this. I had vector 1 for a few years and never used it for training. As a diagnostic, once I noticed a huge imbalance but I'd hurt a knee and already knew there was a problem. So, still not useful.

*I gave up on V1 this summer and am now using P1.

Darkwing

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have P1’s. I don’t even looks at the balance. Just give me the total power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was getting a large imbalance at lower power. Found out a cleat was loose. Tightened it. Imbalance vanished.
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Oct 12, 17 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have PowerTap P1 pedals. Everyone gives you L/R balance, so I do not really consider that pedal dynamics. And, I do find it is useful to bring form and fatigue issues to light: I always have a 52/48 balance, but when I get fatigued, I can see it by the shift in L/R balance.

I have never tried to look at the Pedal Dynamics stuff in my P1 pedals. It is a hassle to use PowerTap's app for that. But, I am curious. For example, I would like to see where my power is hitting when doing different form drills. But, if I cannot easily get it on my head unit, it might as well not exist.

If I were buying pedals right now, I would probably get the new Vector 3 pedals. I just love the way they look, and I could have all the dynamics junk on my Garmin 520. But, that does not justify the price premium over the Assinsomnia pedals.
Quote Reply