Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville
Quote | Reply
Hi

The weather for Louisville has gone from perfect to hot - real feel of 88 on the run

I have used the aerohead once at eagleman and I was very hot but I was also sick and it was the first hot day of the year

The aerohead is most likely quicker however

I have no heat concerns with the bambino - oddly the aerohead has larger vents so maybe my first experience can be ignored

I am thinking I be cautious and go with the most likely slower bambino

Anyone think the aerohead is hot ?

Thanks Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not had heat issues with it and I've raced some pretty hot races in it.

Seems like there's lots of uncertainty about weather on Sunday still. Accuweather says it will be pretty hot. Wunderground says 78 with afternoon showers, which would be great, but they are also predicting 15 mph winds.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't find the Aerohead to be hot and the Bambino has very little venting.

From my n=4 experience, the Bambino only works really well on people who look down a lot. Probably because of the lack of a tail more than anything. I would categorize it as a mediocre helmet whose best quality is the weight reduction of your wallet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No help on this but where are you seeing 88?!?!? I am seeing 78 with scattered showers. There is a HUGE difference between 78 and 88 as the highs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to consider. If you go the same speed and the bambino makes you produce 5w more to do that vs the aerohead you are generating more internal heat that you have to shed.

In my experience with extensive testing of both I'd comfortable put a large chunk of money on the bambino being the slower helmet

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers guys

I do look down a lot but am sure the aerohead is quicker

I would rather sacrifice 5 watts than overheat

I am taking both and will test for 30 mins Friday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Cheers guys

I do look down a lot but am sure the aerohead is quicker

I would rather sacrifice 5 watts than overheat

I am taking both and will test for 30 mins Friday

Fwiw, I read Brian's post it as you could purposefully ride 5 watts lower and you would be the same speed while generating far less body heat because 5 watts is a lot of heat. End result is same time, less energy expended (Kj), less heat created. Triple win-win-win

But this only work if you can ride 5 watts less.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind it will be in the 50s and 60s for much of your ride in the morning hours. The heat won't really set in until the afternoon. Plus it looks like there may be a good chance for rain. I wouldn't let your fear of the heat dictate your helmet choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snowvols wrote:
No help on this but where are you seeing 88?!?!? I am seeing 78 with scattered showers. There is a HUGE difference between 78 and 88 as the highs.

I was so happy to see them change the forecast over the last two days. I hate the heat, and I love to run in the rain, so if it starts to rain when I get off my bike, I will be thrilled. I did a trail race this summer where it was snowing at the higher altitudes, and I think I was the only person who loved the weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you found the aerohead to be equally fast without the visor?
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was designed around the visor.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and the coach perspective..

UKINNY is perhaps one of the fastest runner in this field. He could make is way back to the front of the race from far behind if needed.

He is a strong rider to start with.... so he as a loaded deck. In situation like this, i like to see the low risk management approach. Pick the helmet that feel best heat management wise (test friday/saturday) and live with it and run faster to make up for it ;)

then, learn to live with the giro for next year!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Oct 11, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bambino looks like it should be a hot helmet, but I've raced it in high 90s temps with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever it’s worth, I rode the Louisville course a few weeks ago in the Aerohead on a 91 degree day and it felt pretty good. I had heard rumors of it being very hot so I wanted to test it on a long hot ride. I would use it this weekend without hesitation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The aerohead is hot AF at least my black one was... Maybe the lighters colors don't get as hot but ventilation is pretty poor. Also, and this might be an issue if humidity is high or raining, it's almost impossible to keep the visor from fogging. I did two 70.3s with it and the first one was downright dangerous where I could barely see the road for the first hour or so and then I had to continuously wipe the visor to see where I'm going. The second race I used a defogging solution, worked marginally better but still had to wipe the visor all the time.
This helmet might be fast and look cool if you're sitting in a wind tunnel but if you crash into a pole or have to mess with the visor every 5 minutes then I'm pretty sure you lose more than 5W.
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the aerohead in humid conditions (south florida) and have not had any fogging issues. As far as ventilation/heat, I have a black one as well and I don't find it any different than any other helmet I've tried. as far as h

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
The aerohead is hot AF at least my black one was... Maybe the lighters colors don't get as hot but ventilation is pretty poor. Also, and this might be an issue if humidity is high or raining, it's almost impossible to keep the visor from fogging. I did two 70.3s with it and the first one was downright dangerous where I could barely see the road for the first hour or so and then I had to continuously wipe the visor to see where I'm going. The second race I used a defogging solution, worked marginally better but still had to wipe the visor all the time.
This helmet might be fast and look cool if you're sitting in a wind tunnel but if you crash into a pole or have to mess with the visor every 5 minutes then I'm pretty sure you lose more than 5W.

Color is not going to make a difference. It is a big chunk of foam, like a Styrofoam cooler. the higher surface temperature of a darker color is not going to conduct through the foam to the inside. Not to mention that the surface is going to have constant airflow over it, to it is not going to heat much more than the lighter color, compared to if both helmets were stationary.

I am waiting for someone to claim that darker helmets are faster. Darker helmets heat up the air. Heated air is less dense. Less dense air means less drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be time to look again at the forecast. I think the weather might make the day ..... interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an Aerohead once for a tt. It fogged despite me treating the lens and it was hot and really heavy. I went right back to my PO9. It's light, comfortable and well ventilated. And from what I read anyway it tests fast on most as well. It seems to be a forgotten about helmet for some reason
Quote Reply
Re: Bambino versus aerohead - hot Louisville [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accu at least showing 70s on the bike which is great and some rain on the run

I don't think I am worried about the helmet anymore

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current forecast on weather.com only has the high at 74...only real variable to keep our eyes on at this point is the wind.