Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trent,

The pad stack of 649mm from the fit report is correct. The 634mm was just what I figured it would be to the top of the armREST (ignoring the pad), as that was the figure I had to use on the Felt calculator. But anyhoo, the calculator said a 54 frame, and you're saying a 54 from my retul fit report, so sounds promising.

I get what you're saying about the 54 needing less pedestals too - that makes sense.

There aren't any Felt dealers near me, but I'll definitely take your advice when I manage to find one that has a couple of frame sizes I can try out. Just hope the standover height isn't too tall for my short legs! ;)

Cheers,
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also 5'6" but with 31 measured inseam. My local Felt dealer is currently thinking a 51cm for me just based on phone conversations. I am currently on a Felt B10 52cm.
I hope to go by next week to visit his shop with my current bike. Unfortunately he has a small shop and not too many bikes on the floor and only has the IA in a 56 at the moment.

He is thinking that a 54 will be less flexible to fit down compared to fitting up from a 51 in my case. I will just lean/trust on his experience.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I would go small. When I got mine, I called ahead to make sure that the shop had the two potential sizes that I could fit. I wanted to eliminate, as much as possible, the risk that the shop would steer me to inventory on hand rather than the true best fit.

I am 5-10 with a 30" inseam. I ride a 54. It seem like you are all leg with a shorter torso; therefore a smaller bike would give you a likely shorter reach that you might need.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I wanted to eliminate, as much as possible, the risk that the shop would steer me to inventory on hand rather than the true best fit.

I am 5-10 with a 30" inseam. I ride a 54. It seem like you are all leg with a shorter torso

On the first point, I think that's the reason I ended up with an Argon18 - I went in for a fit with the intention of getting a Cervelo P2 (a brand they didn't stock), but once the fitter saw me looking at the Argon I think he had ÂŁ signs in his eyes. I really should have learnt my lesson this time and gone to an independent fitter!

So it seems for 5'6 and 30" inseam (long legs, shorter torso) a 51 might be right. For me, 5'6 and 28" inseam (normal torso, short legs), perhaps the 54 is better? But it's probably not quite as straightforward as that.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I right in thinking that the larger frame will also be more stable, less twitchy? I find that my xs small size Argon18 can feel quite unsteady, although I realise there's an element of rider skill along with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Felt it's recommended you get the largest frame you can fit on. It's faster that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the larger frame will also be more stable, less twitchy? I find that my xs small size Argon18 can feel quite unsteady, although I realise there's an element of rider skill along with that.

Not directly answering your question, but my LBS (a listed fitter on ST) told me that in his experience, even a properly setup IA is going to be twitchier than something like a P2, which he considers more of a cruiser. And to be clear, he wasn't saying "This is a twitchy bike," but just comparably. It's a racy bike.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Seat post [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question: Do have to travel by plane to join a 70.3 and therefor have to unpack my bike. Can I simply "take out" the seat post" or will the inside of the screw (the counter part inside the post) fall down?
any experience?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
Nicolopolus wrote:

Not directly answering your question, but my LBS (a listed fitter on ST) told me that in his experience, even a properly setup IA is going to be twitchier than something like a P2, which he considers more of a cruiser. And to be clear, he wasn't saying "This is a twitchy bike," but just comparably. It's a racy bike.

But that is a very interesting point, especially as ironically the P2 was the bike I had intended to buy before I was pushed to the Argon! I wonder why the P2 is supposedly less twitchy? Different rake angle on the fork? From what I've read the Specialized Shiv is really stable too. I could do with a test day on all these bikes!

I wonder if an IA16 in a 54 frame will be more stable than an Argon18 in an x-small?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's interesting, I don't really know. And ultimately, I don't know if I would take that as gospel, but I'm relaying an opinion I trust from someone who works at a multisport-specific shop, so I tend to give it credit.

If you do a test day, be sure to go to a shop that'll fit you first, get measurements, then set them all up equally, otherwise it's a meaningless comparison, just in case you didn't know. :)

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
I wonder if an IA16 in a 54 frame will be more stable than an Argon18 in an x-small?
I have not ridden a P2 or Argon 18, but I have a 54cm IA16. This bike seems to be the total opposite of twitchy or unstable. If anything, I wish it were a little more responsive in corners. My background is a lot of road riding over 25 years ago. I got on the IA16 from almost no recent prior bike riding, and it has been fine. The only other tri bike I have ridden is a >15 years old Aegis Trident, and the IA16 did not seem significantly different from that one in stability. And, the Aegis was probably a size or two smaller than my IA16.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
.....my LBS (a listed fitter on ST) told me that in his experience, even a properly setup IA is going to be twitchier than something like a P2, which he considers more of a cruiser. And to be clear, he wasn't saying "This is a twitchy bike," but just comparably. It's a racy bike.
I'm surprised to see that comment. I don't find the mine in the least bit twitchy. I wouldn't have thought any properly set up tri-bike should be twitchy for that matter. Aren't they all cruisers? It's not like they're designed for sprints and manoeuvering in a pack!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
justinhorne wrote:
.....my LBS (a listed fitter on ST) told me that in his experience, even a properly setup IA is going to be twitchier than something like a P2, which he considers more of a cruiser. And to be clear, he wasn't saying "This is a twitchy bike," but just comparably. It's a racy bike.
I'm surprised to see that comment. I don't find the mine in the least bit twitchy. I wouldn't have thought any properly set up tri-bike should be twitchy for that matter. Aren't they all cruisers? It's not like they're designed for sprints and manoeuvering in a pack!

I find my E116 quite twitchy, but maybe that's because I'm only about 57kg and a slight breeze is enough to knock me over ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black IA 16 51cm ordered a few minutes ago. I guess I will know soon if it is twitchy or not. If it is as good or better than my ole Felt B10 I will be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked him to compare his experience between the two bikes, so I'm sure his answer was framed on those two against each other, not against something like a road. I'm sure they're both very stable. His short answer was that he recommends the p2 For sitting and cruising long stretches, whereas the IA for people who can sacrifice some stability and relaxation for responsiveness.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Last edited by: justinhorne: Oct 10, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Seat post [sommer00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If possible I would remove the rubber seatpost chanel covers and just push the seat all the way down. If that doesn’t work the seatpost internals are spring loaded so it shouldn’t fall down.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
justinhorne wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. The P2 is quite agile. A handy TT bike. The IA is designed to steer like a battleship with a keel and a pair of oars.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt gave my IA14 a pre-race tune up at the expo in Kona today and surprise,surprise... put on the new calpac and draft box. The calpac is screwed on with slits in the top and is deeper than the prior version. The draft box lid has a hinge on the back of the lid so it won’t fly off. Overall really excited about the updates!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
The IA is designed to steer like a battleship with a keel and a pair of oars.

-SD

This is the best analogy ever, well put Dave
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
justinhorne wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. The P2 is quite agile. A handy TT bike. The IA is designed to steer like a battleship with a keel and a pair of oars.

-SD

Strange! Well, as much as I trust the fitter, I trust yours even more. Thanks for chiming in.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the IA14 with the crappy Calpac. I haven't really looked through this entire thread, but is there a way to replace it? Will Felt replace it? The rubber one is just terrible. The worst part of a fantastic bike!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOPinCO wrote:
Felt gave my IA14 a pre-race tune up at the expo in Kona today and surprise,surprise... put on the new calpac and draft box. The calpac is screwed on with slits in the top and is deeper than the prior version. The draft box lid has a hinge on the back of the lid so it won’t fly off. Overall really excited about the updates!

That is really cool of them. Now...ask them to ship a set to Jeff @ (insert address here)...or to start selling on website. But good for them for taking the initiative to do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
My other car is a Felt. DFL>DNF>DNS.

"There will come a day you won't be able to do this, today is not that day."
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
I have the IA14 with the crappy Calpac. I haven't really looked through this entire thread, but is there a way to replace it? Will Felt replace it? The rubber one is just terrible. The worst part of a fantastic bike!

Looks like you need to have qualified for Kona...

I'm sure they'll inform us MOPers after Kona craziness on how to get them.

MOPinCO wrote:

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:

I went to the shop yesterday to order last year's black IA16. The first time I have seen one in person and the first thing I noticed was Calpac on the shop's floor model seemed to be lifting up around the edges. I am thinking that may be the first thing I will change. I reached out to my dealer this morning to see if he heard anything on purchasing the new draft box as an accessory and have not heard back yet. If it is not available I will go with the Bontrager Concept II box. I was watching another thread with the new Torhans Bento X box and wondered if it would work.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have your LBS contact Felt. I just got mine. $35
Quote Reply

Prev Next