Prev Next
I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT
Quote | Reply
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

I am 5'10". I weigh 160 lbs

I wear 34" levis - though depends on style

Today i bought a new jacket. XL is tight with a t-shirt. I have to buy XXL

How is this remotely possible. What size would i be wearing if i was 220 lbs and 6'4"

I am sure clothes have gotten smaller in last 25 years
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 6’2 -190

32 waist jeans and size L for most shirts.

Are shopping in the kid’s section?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'5" and a lean but athletically muscular 140 (at least in the chest and legs...arms & shoulders aren't very big at all...but legs look like the quads & glutes should be on someone 10" taller than I am). Sizing is all over the map these days dependent on designer, the fit in the particular style/line, and whether or not they have vanity sizing. I'm a 28 waist in chinos and most jeans from Gap and Banana Republic, for example, but a true 30 in selvedge denim from companies like Gustin that don't use vanity sizing. Some size XS T's I wear from some companies fit like size S from other companies; size S from some companies fit smaller and tighter for me than XS from other companies.

I don't care what the label says because of the inconsistencies between designers, but do wish that more companies had better disclosure and more consistency with what their sizing measurements are in multiple places on the particular piece of clothing so I could more easily order clothes online without having to try everything on.

Andrewmc wrote:
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

How is this remotely possible. What size would i be wearing if i was 220 lbs and 6'4"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'6 and 135lbs. I think clothes have gotten bigger. I might as well shop in the kids section. Half the companies I like don't make a size small then half of retailers don't stock smalls anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I'm 5'6 and 135lbs. I think clothes have gotten bigger. I might as well shop in the kids section. Half the companies I like don't make a size small then half of retailers don't stock smalls anymore.
Ditto, I was gonna say the same and I'm not sure what the OP's seeing--maybe it was a particular brand or something.

I'm 5'9" and have fluctuated between 200 (college) and 155 (lean triathlon days), I'm about 165 right now. When I was younger I wore L and occasionally XL for something like a sweatshirt I wanted bigger. Now I'm almost exclusively M with the occasional S (i.e. certain Polo brand polos I need to get in S). Same goes for pants/waist sizes, at a similar weight in HS I was wearing size 34-36 pants, now I'm wearing 32-33.

I think if anything things have gotten bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lately the trend for men clothes has been slim and skinny fit. As a guy with big butt and legs I have to buy most of my pants up a size and have the tailor make adjustments. I also have to avoid any slim fits shirts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some hiking clothing brands are much smaller than most other clothing. Not sure if they have always been smaller, but a normal jacket in large, might require an XL in hiking jacket. I think at least part of it is many normal brands have gotten larger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

Abercrombie?

I'm about your size and wear mostly medium or large T-shirts, 15.5" collar, 38-40" chest, medium shorts, and have a 33" waist. But in Abercrombie I'm an XL...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must be a lot fatter, because I see the opposite.

When I came out of college I was 6'1" and about 165 lbs. Very low muscle mass. I now go about 210 - 215. Most of the 50 lbs is good weight but how do I still wear 34" pants 50 lbs later?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure you're 160 lbs? If you are, I think you may be shopping in the kid's dept., or at least a store with really messed up sizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others, in recent years I've seen actual clothing sizes get bigger relative to sizing on the label. Maybe that's primarily an American phenomenon though - you recently moved to France, correct? Maybe you're confronting French sizing as opposed to UK/US/something else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

You're in France. Start smoking unfiltered cigarettes and the pounds will melt off
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Like others, in recent years I've seen actual clothing sizes get bigger relative to sizing on the label. Maybe that's primarily an American phenomenon though - you recently moved to France, correct? Maybe you're confronting French sizing as opposed to UK/US/something else?

This is my observation, too. Primarily getting wider, not longer. Some XL stuff is ridiculously wide. Another thing I've noticed is the decreasing availability of 34" length in pants. Some stores don't carry 34" in stores, only online.
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Gustin. Their standard length is 34" for everything. It's annoying as someone whose length is 30" to have to get things hemmed, particularly with the lack of tailors locally who do a good chain hem for denim, but their quality is fantastic and pricing is crowdfunded consumer direct low, so it's worth the hassle to me.

Uncle Arqyle wrote:
wimsey wrote:

This is my observation, too. Primarily getting wider, not longer. Some XL stuff is ridiculously wide. Another thing I've noticed is the decreasing availability of 34" length in pants. Some stores don't carry 34" in stores, only online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in the US they sure haven't. Some of the styles might have a slimer fit, but you can't find the smaller sizes in stores.

I am trying to find dress shirts as my old slim shirts are no longer as slim. My issue is my lack of neck. I am 5'10", 32" waist and a 16" neck. Shirt manufactures assume if you have a 16" neck you are shaped like a pumpkin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to lie about your weight. This is a safe space.
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
This. I buy some pieces from the kids sections and stores only to find some of them too big. Vanity sizing is a mess leaving people not knowing which sizes they really fit.

Quote | Reply
I am up to 235 now 6'0. I have plenty of nice shit hanging in the closet from a few years back when I was in the 170lbs range. Not sure why I keep that shit don't think I'll be fitting in it anytime in the near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

34” waist is morbidly obese around these parts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not here, in 'murica. I am 6'1", 162 lbs and am now shopping for everything size medium.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the same thing. I have a Hanes races shirt from years ago and one from a recent race. The old was is a medium and is larger than the large from the recent race. It would take an XL to get the same fit as the old medium.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Have clothes got smaller

WTF

You are mostly swimming nowadays, correct?

Really, you are 'abnormal'.

You should embrace needing custom shirts/jackets.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 10, 17 21:32
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Lately the trend for men clothes has been slim and skinny fit. As a guy with big butt and legs I have to buy most of my pants up a size and have the tailor make adjustments.
This.

I'm 6' and wear 31W-34L trousers. My waist is good with a 30, but I can't get a 30 over my legs and butt. So I get a 31-34 and have a tailor shop take the waist in a bit.

When I was late teens and 20's, it seemed like we all had 28-32" waists. Every inseam length was available in those sizes. But now everyone is fat so 32-34 is kinda rare in the stores and I have to go on line to find 31-34.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Lately the trend for men clothes has been slim and skinny fit. As a guy with big butt and legs I have to buy most of my pants up a size and have the tailor make adjustments.

This.

I'm 6' and wear 31W-34L trousers. My waist is good with a 30, but I can't get a 30 over my legs and butt. So I get a 31-34 and have a tailor shop take the waist in a bit.

When I was late teens and 20's, it seemed like we all had 28-32" waists. Every inseam length was available in those sizes. But now everyone is fat so 32-34 is kinda rare in the stores and I have to go on line to find 31-34.

This is more or less the story of my life when it comes to clothing.
Pants: 32W-33L. A difficult size to find (32L is too short, 34 often a hair long). Every time I shop for pants, especially work pants, they are sold out of 32W. Regarding work pants, why do carhartts seem to start at size 38W? Where are all these behemoths working in construction wandering around? Every time I buy a new tool belt, I need to make my own belt hole that's around 3" smaller then the smallest hole on the loop. I'm 6' and 190lbs for pete's sake.

Shirts: Large fits me nicely across the shoulders/chest, but makes me look like I'm wearing a pillow sheet across my stomach. Medium fits a little nicer around my mid section, but is too tight across the shoulders/chest. I have long arms so mediums are usually way too short, and for almost every shirt I own, I end up buying a large and having a tailor take it in bit.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: I appreciate i have got a little fatter in 25 years BUT [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I'm 5'5" and a lean but athletically muscular 140 (at least in the chest and legs...arms & shoulders aren't very big at all...but legs look like the quads & glutes should be on someone 10" taller than I am). Sizing is all over the map these days dependent on designer, the fit in the particular style/line, and whether or not they have vanity sizing. I'm a 28 waist in chinos and most jeans from Gap and Banana Republic, for example, but a true 30 in selvedge denim from companies like Gustin that don't use vanity sizing. .

You need these: https://www.keirincutjeans.com/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next