Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jemele Hill Suspended
Quote | Reply
Took them a loooong time to decide to do something:

"Jemele Hill, the controversial ESPN anchor who called for fans to boycott the NFL after labeling President Trump a “white supremacist” on Twitter, has been suspended for two weeks by the network.
Hill violated the company’s social media guidelines a second time, according to ESPN, after she called on fans to take indirect action against the Dallas Cowboys after owner Jerry Jones told players they would be benched if they didn't stand up during the national anthem."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's like she's trying to get fired

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmeer wrote:
it's like she's trying to get fired

Of course. She will sue then, and then they'll settle with her and she will get money and not have to work, if you call what she does working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

"Jemele Hill, the controversial ESPN anchor who called for fans to boycott the NFL after labeling President Trump a “white supremacist” on Twitter, has been suspended for two weeks by the network.
Hill violated the company’s social media guidelines a second time, according to ESPN, after she called on fans to take indirect action against the Dallas Cowboys after owner Jerry Jones told players they would be benched if they didn't stand up during the national anthem."

I’m not going to defend Hill against her punishment. If she violated ESPNs policy, then she should probably be suspended, especially since she was reprimanded previously. But in this case, she didn’t really call on fans to take action against the Cowboys. She told fans that if they wanted to make a statement, they should do it themselves by communicating their dissatisfaction with advertisers, rather than demanding that key players for the Cowboys take the risk on themselves by protesting and possibly being benched.

In the realm of offensive Tweets, this series doesn’t even register, in my mind.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny
Women talking about sports and politics
It's so funny

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
But in this case, she didn’t really call on fans to take action against the Cowboys. She told fans that if they wanted to make a statement, they should do it themselves by communicating their dissatisfaction with advertisers, rather than demanding that key players for the Cowboys take the risk on themselves by protesting and possibly being benched.

In the realm of offensive Tweets, this series doesn’t even register, in my mind.
Agreed. This is either a make up call, so to speak, or ESPN doesn't like people messing with advertisers.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
It's funny
Women talking about sports and politics
It's so funny

Well played, sir

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I’m not going to defend Hill against her punishment. If she violated ESPNs policy, then she should probably be suspended, especially since she was reprimanded previously. But in this case, she didn’t really call on fans to take action against the Cowboys. She told fans that if they wanted to make a statement, they should do it themselves by communicating their dissatisfaction with advertisers, rather than demanding that key players for the Cowboys take the risk on themselves by protesting and possibly being benched.

The message I got was it's OK to call the President a White Supremacist but don't dare go after advertisers....It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

The message I got was it's OK to call the President a White Supremacist but don't dare go after advertisers....It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world...

Or it could just be a case of, first offense gets a warning, second gets a punishment. But hey, if you really want to see political conspiracy,....

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Or it could just be a case of, first offense gets a warning, second gets a punishment. But hey, if you really want to see political conspiracy,....

It’s not a political conspiracy.

It is about the almighty dollar. Don’t upset the people that pay the bills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pointless story warning:

The sports editor of the MSU student paper was a friend of mine in college. He was a bit of a screw-up but a remarkably talented writer. Jemele was a couple of years behind him. When he graduated, Jemele got his editor position. He was pissed about it. He considered her a no-talent hack who was getting promoted over more talented students because she was a black woman. I've been reading her stuff for 30 years and can't disagree about her lack of talent

It only got worse when she graduated and got a columnist position at the Detroit Free Press. Last I heard he was writing for a local paper in North Dakota. I can only imagine how her celebrity grinds on him.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

You mean your boss will get mad if you fuck with the people who pay you? It is almost as if that makes perfect sense and doesn't require any conspiracy.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

If I were Jemele I wouldn't worry too much. ESPN needs her every bit as much as she needs them.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

If I were Jemele I wouldn't worry too much. ESPN needs her every bit as much as she needs them.

I keep hoping that she announces her engagement to Kap during this vaca.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

The message I got from this post is you wear a tinfoil hat. Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
davec wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

You mean your boss will get mad if you fuck with the people who pay you? It is almost as if that makes perfect sense and doesn't require any conspiracy.

Dingleberry my boss would have fired my ass after the first transgression.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
SH wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I keep hoping that she announces her engagement to Kap during this vaca.

Kap is allegedly selling out for a contract
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's not a pointless story--it's relevant and thanks for sharing it.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Pointless story warning:

The sports editor of the MSU student paper was a friend of mine in college. He was a bit of a screw-up but a remarkably talented writer. Jemele was a couple of years behind him. When he graduated, Jemele got his editor position. He was pissed about it. He considered her a no-talent hack who was getting promoted over more talented students because she was a black woman. I've been reading her stuff for 30 years and can't disagree about her lack of talent

It only got worse when she graduated and got a columnist position at the Detroit Free Press. Last I heard he was writing for a local paper in North Dakota. I can only imagine how her celebrity grinds on him.

I thought her lack of talent was evident due to the fact she graduated from MSU.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Thom wrote:
Pointless story warning:

I thought her lack of talent was evident due to the fact she graduated from MSU.

I didn't know one had to go beyond that point. I assumed everyone knew that is a joke degree.
Quote Reply
Re: Jemele Hill Suspended [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

It's certainly no Purdue, the Harvard of Central Indiana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Pointless story warning:

Couldn't agree more with that assessment of her. I remember reading her first articles for ESPN and thinking that they were abysmal. Back in college anyway when I cared about ESPN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
JSA wrote:

It's certainly no Purdue, the Harvard of Central Indiana

Yes, I have always been embarrassed by my engineering degree from Purdue University ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still don't know who this person is. And I feel better knowing that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next