Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for?
Quote | Reply
So it occurred to me, that all my former fellow squad/platoon or team members who are still into guns have actually some credentials when it comes to being a successful competitor (competitive Biathletes or on a sports shooting/skeet competition squad).

Most of them don't collect semi-autos and just stick to self defense (handguns) and almost exclusively have competition pistols or rifles, if they actually compete and face the music.

So any of you semi-auto 'collectors' here have any verifiable credentials (district, regional, national) in the sports arena (e.g. USA Shooting)?

Looks to me you just go to the range, spray as many as possible bullets across the hillside to decompress and engage in some sort of fantasy on how you'd wipe out any real or imaginary enemy of yours?
I have seen these 'collectors' in action at the range, and have been less than impressed by both their conduct and abilities.
All very personable and "great guys" for sure, with that certain sliver of something not being quite right.

Me? I was done with guns after Military and am getting back into sports archery as legs, lungs and heart slow down. A fantastic and demanding sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I inherited my father-in-law's M1, along with a pile of .30 cal about 10 years ago.

Haven't fired a single round.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I collect bicycles and haven't earned any verified credentials.

Thank you for your service. I won't comment on your question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't call myself a collector. Florida doesn't have hillsides. I don't like wasting ammo.

Handgun: IDPA, GSSF, and have done a little IPSC. Best finish was 2nd in the Georgia State Championships, IDPA (2004 I think, some years back).
Shotgun: Sporting clays (NSCA) & tried FITASC (it's hard). Sporting clays is very fun, but I'm better with a 1911. Shotgun sports can be a really spendy hobby.
I don't generally play rifle games, but HighPower rifle has always looked interesting -- high cost of entry to just try it out, unfortunately.

I've completed hundreds of hours of professional training with the above systems to include FoF, CQ, and weapon retention. I'm no high-speed low drag velcro ninja Tactical Teddy, just someone who likes to learn, practice, and improve.

edit: Other than trying to take a cheap shot at people, why would you care? Everyone who has been to a range as seen their share of newbies, competent shooters, know-it-alls, and just plain idiots. The latter is why I no longer frequent indoor, public ranges or those with only bays on static lines.
Last edited by: gotsand: Oct 6, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
Wouldn't call myself a collector. Florida doesn't have hillsides. I don't like wasting ammo.

Handgun: IDPA, GSSF, and have done a little IPSC. Best finish was 2nd in the Georgia State Championships, IDPA (2004 I think, some years back).
Shotgun: Sporting clays (NSCA) & tried FITASC (it's hard). Sporting clays is very fun, but I'm better with a 1911. Shotgun sports can be a really spendy hobby.
I don't generally play rifle games, but HighPower rifle has always looked interesting -- high cost of entry to just try it out, unfortunately.

I've completed hundreds of hours of professional training with the above systems to include FoF, CQ, and weapon retention. I'm no high-speed low drag velcro ninja Tactical Teddy, just someone who likes to learn, practice, and improve.

edit: Other than trying to take a cheap shot at people, why would you care? Everyone who has been to a range as seen their share of newbies, competent shooters, know-it-alls, and just plain idiots. The latter is why I no longer frequent indoor, public ranges or those with only bays on static lines.

Because he's an asshole as I duly pointed out in another thread. He can't help himself. He has to be that way to make him feel better about himself. Notice the insult followed by.. well I am doing this which is far superior to anything you are doing. Classic asshole who needs to take a dig at others to try and prop himself up.
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

I just want to highlight that little bit and let you know that, on this rainy autumn day, it made me smile. Thank you.

P.S. I once won the flurry shoot at a local sporting clays competition in the U.P. Other than that, I was consistently 2nd best at my local sporting clays range.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:

Because he's an asshole as I duly pointed out in another thread. He can't help himself. He has to be that way to make him feel better about himself. Notice the insult followed by.. well I am doing this which is far superior to anything you are doing. Classic asshole who needs to take a dig at others to try and prop himself up.

You're not good at online stalking and your immature tantrum is annoying at best.

Now go back to your room and play with your toys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your answer. I do not consider that question a cheap shot.
It was a question about irrational versus rational behavior.

Rational: Practice, Challenge, Competition
Irrational: The rush and the addiction to the 'feeling' of power when firing an auto, causing large destruction and damage (yes, been there, experienced the rush, the getting lost..).

I want to find out if semi-auto and auto weapon 'collectors' fall mostly in the irrational/primal group.
Especially when they do not acknowledge that fact and claim solely altruistic motives.
I consider this to be of concern.

Just take >Orpheus< here, he would probably start shooting, begin frothing at the mouth and not stop until he jam's or runs out of ammo....and then commit suicide in his altered state of mind.

There is great Neuroscience out there that explains the 'wiring' and processes governing our irrational self (and hence that of shooters).
The irrational path exists in every human's brain.
It is up to us if we start setting foot on it, which makes it much easier to go down that path (see alcohol).

Not sure why I get so involved, as we are also hard-wired to stick our heads in the sand until self extinction.

Penance, I guess.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 7, 17 2:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Thanks for your answer. I do not consider that question a cheap shot.
It was a question about irrational versus rational behavior.

Rational: Practice, Challenge, Competition
Irrational: The rush and the addiction to the 'feeling' of power when firing an auto, causing large destruction and damage (yes, been there, experienced the rush, the getting lost..).

I want to find out if semi-auto and auto weapon 'collectors' fall mostly in the irrational/primal group.
Especially when they do not acknowledge that fact and claim solely altruistic motives.
I consider this to be of concern.

Just take >Orpheus< here, he would probably start shooting, begin frothing at the mouth and not stop until he jam's or runs out of ammo....and then commit suicide in his altered state of mind.

There is great Neuroscience out there that explains the 'wiring' and processes governing our irrational self (and hence that of shooters).
The irrational path exists in every human's brain.
It is up to us if we start setting foot on it, which makes it much easier to go down that path (see alcohol).

Not sure why I get so involved, as we are also hard-wired to stick our heads in the sand until self extinction.

Penance, I guess.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
orphious wrote:

You're not good at online stalking and your immature tantrum is annoying at best.

Now go back to your room and play with your toys.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love shooting and used to go the range at least once a month. Now that I have young children and I'm in grad school I don't have the time. I'd like to get more training and get into three gun at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
So it occurred to me, that all my former fellow squad/platoon or team members who are still into guns have actually some credentials when it comes to being a successful competitor (competitive Biathletes or on a sports shooting/skeet competition squad).

Most of them don't collect semi-autos and just stick to self defense (handguns) and almost exclusively have competition pistols or rifles, if they actually compete and face the music.

So any of you semi-auto 'collectors' here have any verifiable credentials (district, regional, national) in the sports arena (e.g. USA Shooting)?

Looks to me you just go to the range, spray as many as possible bullets across the hillside to decompress and engage in some sort of fantasy on how you'd wipe out any real or imaginary enemy of yours?
I have seen these 'collectors' in action at the range, and have been less than impressed by both their conduct and abilities.
All very personable and "great guys" for sure, with that certain sliver of something not being quite right.

Me? I was done with guns after Military and am getting back into
sports archery as legs, lungs and heart slow down. A fantastic and demanding sport.

Riiiigghhhttt. What colour is the boathouse at Hereford?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Me? I was done with guns after Military and am getting back into sports archery as legs, lungs and heart slow down. A fantastic and demanding sport.

I'm curious if you actually have any first hand knowledge of folks with semi-auto weapons, because your description, and my friends who do own semi-autos, couldn't be more different. One of my good friends has at least one semi-auto, and is also extremely proficient with a bow, usually bagging an elk per season with it. My other friend has several semi-autos, but practices with them and other weapons and is very proficient with them as well; definitely not the spray and pray type.

Quote | Reply
Pretty funny Duffel Blog entry: Point/Counterpoint: We should talk about gun control vs. I’m going to shoot your liberal face

Sounds kind of like the LR.

POINT: I remember the first time I handled an assault rifle. Shortly after my entry into Army basic training, the drill sergeants explained that this weapon, an M4 rifle, would need to be with me at all times. We were taught everything about it, from how to use it, how to clean it, and of course, how to shoot it. And when I went to Afghanistan, I did plenty of that. But I don’t really know whether this same type of weapon belongs on American streets, especially in the wake of deadly massacres in Las Vegas, Orlando, and sadly, so many other places.
COUNTERPOINT: Look at this stupid liberal snowflake right here. I can tell he’s a stupid communist-sympathizing Killary supporter just by reading his first sentence, where he mentions “assault rifle.” That term is completely made up. No one would call an M4, or an AR-15, an assault rifle — except for a liberal piece of shit like this guy, of course. Did you even serve?
Last edited by: trail: Oct 7, 17 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have rarely seen people just shooting as fast as they can at the range. But when I do I get a lot of free brass usually.
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
I have rarely seen people just shooting as fast as they can at the range. But when I do I get a lot of free brass usually.

NOOOO flashback. (About 50% of my childhood was spent picking up brass, and the other 50% loading them).
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
windschatten wrote:

I'm curious if you actually have any first hand knowledge of folks with semi-auto weapons, because your description, and my friends who do own semi-autos, couldn't be more different. One of my good friends has at least one semi-auto, and is also extremely proficient with a bow, usually bagging an elk per season with it. My other friend has several semi-autos, but practices with them and other weapons and is very proficient with them as well; definitely not the spray and pray type.

I do know them (hard to avoid as we share the same facilities), but you are correct, I nowadays avoid people who fervently own them.
Met too many 'crazies' while still on active duty (one actually emptied a magazine in my direction while on Guard walking between ALVBs with the pontoons 'settling' due to falling temps).
Was maybe personal (<orpheus>?), but afaik he still 'collects' (despite having had to lug that damned thing around 24/7 and being unable to hit a thing).

Getting a deer with a bow is not an objective measure of proficiency (and not something necessary either).
Around here I could kill one with a spear if I'd take my time and needed the meat for survival.
I am talking Tournament Olympic Archery...can't 'tame' that.

Again, "practice" and "proficiency" are not quantifiable terms. The one poster who won Second at his neighborhood skeet tourney, might have a (thin) leg to stand on.

I 'practice' and consider myself fairly 'proficient' (compared to an average bow-owner) with a sports-bow over all olympic distances, but I am a long way from being "competitive" and having something to show for.
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 7, 17 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you 'collectors' here have something to show for? [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drew_235 wrote:
I just want to highlight that little bit and let you know that, on this rainy autumn day, it made me smile. Thank you.

P.S. I once won the flurry shoot at a local sporting clays competition in the U.P. Other than that, I was consistently 2nd best at my local sporting clays range.

Being second best in sporting clays around here would put you in some very elite company. I try to block out the fact that many are shouldering guns that cost as much as my car, although beating someone doing so is pretty sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
spot wrote:
windschatten wrote:

I do know them (hard to avoid as we share the same facilities), but you are correct, I nowadays avoid people who fervently own them.
Met too many 'crazies' while still on active duty (one actually emptied a magazine in my direction while on Guard walking between ALVBs with the pontoons 'settling' due to falling temps).
Was maybe personal (<orpheus>?), but afaik he still 'collects' (despite having had to lug that damned thing around 24/7 and being unable to hit a thing).

Getting a deer with a bow is not an objective measure of proficiency (and not something necessary either).
Around here I could kill one with a spear if I'd take my time and needed the meat for survival.

Again, "practice" and "proficiency" are not quantifiable terms. The one poster who won Second at his neighborhood skeet tourney, might have a (thin) leg to stand on.

I 'practice' and consider myself fairly 'proficient' (compared to an average bow-owner) with a sports-bow over all olympic distances, but I am a long way from being "competitive" and having something to show for.

I didn't say deer, I said elk. Bull elk. They are very skittish and not easy to take down. One must be very proficient not just with the bow, but with all manner of knowledge of the animal and outdoors skills. Not sure why you feel the need to denigrate anything and anyone doing something you don't particularly approve of.

Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 9, 17 21:42
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took 3rd at Worlds, class B AFTA back in the late 90s. I was trained by a former Vietnam Nam Sniper Instructor. A Mustang . Shooting was all about knowing your inner self and connecting with your subconscious.
It's funny how a refined discipline like that can monitor your every wrong or right done off the range before a shoot.. i still have the competition rifle with scope set up and would never sell it .
A friend of mine , ex marine , has quite a collection. He once brought over a variant of an M16 ...we shot it out back ...sooo wicked , can’t imagine ever pointing and shooting that at friendlies.
I shot an AR15 with double hollow points at the range..unless you are going into battle or you just like to collect cool machines..i see no other reason to own one.

Peace out brothers and sisters

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
spot wrote:
windschatten wrote:
spot wrote:
windschatten wrote:

I didn't say deer, I said elk. Bull elk. They are very skittish and not easy to take down. One must be very proficient not just with the bow, but with all manner of knowledge of the animal and outdoors skills. Not sure why you feel the need to denigrate anything and anyone doing something you don't particularly approve of.

Yeah, very skittish, all those elks....Right!
http://www.coueswhitetail.com/...-11m-elk-a-nuisance/
(First hit on foockle)

Not sure why you think it is o.k. for your kind to do the same and worse, and then get all snowflakey when called on it?

Anyway, I got my answer here, thanks for playing.

Elk and other animals aren't stupid; a lot of them will move towards human habitation during hunting season. The vast majority of the time, you can't shoot them there. Elk deep in the woods are very smart and if you don't maneuver carefully with regards to the wind and your scent, you aren't going to get a shot. But you clearly don't have a clue, anyway; thanks for trying to pretend you know anything.

And, not sure what answer you got, except the one you already confirmed through your bias.

Quote | Reply
I used to be a USPSA master class shooter and shot limited and open class primarily. When I stopped competing I sold all my stuff which included several SVI and STI limited/open guns, a couple custom Caspian 1911s, several performance shop revolvers and my AR. Competition guns are fun and really expensive but they aren't useful for much else. Now I only own stuff for protecting the house and primarily prefer revolvers.

Some of the guys that I was in with are all into guns and some even work for companies that train law enforcement and military. Most of the guys just moved on with their lives and stopped collecting weapons. I train military personnel still and am around every conceivable type of military weapon so the luster has definitely worn off over the years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next