Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike?
Quote | Reply
Anybody know anything about Dolan Bikes in the UK? I've been trying to get some answers from them about a road bike they sell. Two emails and messaging on FB, nothing.

I've been searching for a small road bike built around 650c wheels. Dolan Bikes was referenced in an ST thread about this. I checked their website and indeed, they have the "Micros," a carbon frame built around 650c wheels.

The geometry info on the site is incomplete. Basic info such as chainstay length is unavailable. First email I sent got an auto response that they were at a show. OK, I understand. Waited. Nothing. Emailed again. No response. Sent a FB message, got a quick response with responder wanting to know what address I emailed and what I wanted to know. Provided that information. Crickets. Messaged again asking if someone was going to get back to me. Crickets.

Anyone know anything about the Dolan "Micros" bike? Or an alternative stock carbon 650 bike? Thanks.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC Canyon started doing some 650 bikes in the smaller sizes in their female range? I have no idea how 'pink' they are but might be worth a look?

I have a Dolan Prefissio Bike in a 50cm that I built up for my Missus as her winter bike but it has 700's on it so not a lot of help for you sorry. I do remember I had zero contact with them though, just ordered the frame online and it turned up a few days later
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give this a try:

https://culpritbicycles.com/...ucts/2016-junior-two

They are active on ST as well. When you click on the link, you will see the username at Culprit Bicycles to PM.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I looked at the Canyon website. In spite of all the press hoopla earlier this year about the new women's bike line, it looks as though they are now only producing road bikes with 700c wheels. And the 2017 line was built on 650b, not 650c. Sigh, my search continues.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try Calfee. He makes great small bikes with 650. I have the Luna and will be getting another.
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSP, did you get a Culprit bike? I'm wondering how the alloy frame rides.

Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frenchfried, do you have the 650c Luna? What type of bottom bracket is it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a phone number on their website? I can ring them for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+44 1695 581166 Thanks!

Most important questions are
1) is the bike UCI legal?
2) what is the wheelbase length?
3) what is the chainstay length?
4) what is the uncut fork length?
5) what is the effective top tube length?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:

1) is the bike UCI legal?

No Dolan frames are UCI Approved (which would have guaranteed their legality). If they were, they'd be listed on the UCI's LIST OF APPROVED MODELS OF FRAMES AND FORKS. (Sorry, capital letters thanks to the UCI.)

Since it's not on the list, then to be UCI legal (different from UCI Approved), it must both:
(a) comply with the UCI regulations, and
(b) have been for sale before the Approval process was defined.

Scroll down here for the gory details:
http://www.uci.ch/...ns/equipment-165067/

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that link, Damon. Went though it and none of the bikes I'm considering are on it.

That is some set of rules to wade through.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry Dolan started off as a traditional frame builder. I think Chris Boardman workec for him for a while (he certainly rode his bikes). I am guessing a lot of the Dolan bikes are now made in China along similar lines to Planet X etc. A lot of top riders in the UK have ridden Dolan track bikes including Wiggins and Cavendish. http://www.cyclingnews.com/...otic-track-machines/

I know a few people rode their TT bikes locally without issue.
Last edited by: boing: Oct 8, 17 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will ring tomorrow and post on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
SSP, did you get a Culprit bike? I'm wondering how the alloy frame rides.

No, although before carbon fiber was a "thing", I owned my share of aluminum-framed bikes. At 17 lbs for a road bike at that price and with semi-custom paint, I probably will in the near future.

I am committed to buying a road bike where I can swap out the 650 wheels from my tri-bike if need be...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do contact them find the front-center and fork rake (and/or trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An update: Dolan Bikes sent an FB message today that they are working on a response.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rang them this morning someone is ringing me back

So far I have it is uci legal!
Last edited by: Stumps: Oct 9, 17 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Dolan Bikes in the UK? Alternatives for a stock carbon 650 road bike? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's unclear to me, given the info from Damon, how they can say it is UCI legal. Dolan has three bikes on the UCI approved list, but not the Micros (650).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the phone this morning they said it was a new bike.

When I spoke to them this afternoon they said they were in the process of sending you an email. Hope that helps.

Let me know if not can ring them again tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes you just have to go for direct action! Turns out these guys are 15 mins away ha ha.

Most important questions are

1) is the bike UCI legal? No and not planning to be at the moment.
2) what is the wheelbase length? C2C 935mm
3) what is the chainstay length? C2C 390mm
4) what is the uncut fork length? 300mm
5) what is the effective top tube length? C2C 480mm

Fully built up ultegra model with spinergy wheels is 7.5kg

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, that's funny. Did you see the bike? What did you think? Thanks for the measurements.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you do contact them find the front-center and fork rake (and/or trail)

Stumpy,

No email from Dolan. Can you take another 15 minutes trip to get an answer to Jaretj's questions? As I've been teaching myself about bike geometry impacts handling, and the differences between tri and road bikes, I've come to appreciate the importance of trail.

As an aside, I don't think I've ever had such a hard time getting info on a bike. Not sure what that means.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will trytomorrow they will be shut now.

I might have to call as I have lessons tomorrow.

I think it is a small company that has grown significantly.
Last edited by: Stumps: Oct 12, 17 8:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next