Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Andrew Talansky to race triathlons
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ31xNcgTJK/

"After a short, restful break, I’m officially un-retired and ready to share my next chapter! Growing up in Florida I swam and ran cross country competitively before picking up cycling. See where this is headed? Triathlon, and what’s often considered the ultimate test of mind, body, and spirit: Ironman.
Most often in life we are pulled towards the logical path, but I've always preferred to let my heart and intuition lead me. I’m fortunate to be able to follow my passion--that which inspires and motivates me--and take on the challenge of venturing into the unknown.

As I enter the world of Triathlon and Ironman I’ll be supported by a great group of partners who share my values, excitement, and commitment to this new adventure. I am also looking forward to using this platform to further my work with charitable causes that I feel strongly about.

With much to learn I’ll be in Hawaii checking out #IMKONA next week. Please say hi if you see me swimming, riding, running or out and about with my family and I hope you’ll follow along here to share in the journey."

I'm a lot more excited about Talansky than Tom Zirbel, that's for sure. Otherwise, don't really care.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 5, 17 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Got a chuckle outta this:

• "cjwurfGlad I'll get one kona in before you start dominating!! Good on ya dude, see you next week!! Hope your there to support me 😂"

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this legit or an April fools type joke?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, who can figure out how to look up his swimming and running times from his youth? I'm intrigued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is 28, a world class TT'er, well capitalized, already lives like a pro. If the motiation is there, it will be interesting. Very hard to predict.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And - one should add - utlike many other world class TT-guys, he is actually built like A Runner!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to say who but I know somebody else in the same position as AT who toyed with that idea between world tour contracts.
Those guys risk life and limb for not much more than 150k-200k a year mostly. That's a lot more than most pro Triathletes, but a much harder/riskier and short term job.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Alright, who can figure out how to look up his swimming and running times from his youth? I'm intrigued.

Maybe him? https://tfrrs.org/...8.html?nomobile=true

Not terribly impressive, but I believe this was high school results, but he put his full focus on cycling in college.

For reference, Zirbel ran mid 25:xx in the 8k during college.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Instagram, it looks like he had a kid earlier this year. Having 2 kids under three, I can't think of a worse profession for having a family than being a Wold Tour cyclist.

Without knowing anything about his personal finances, being able to race 6-10 weekends/year seems like a much better option if you actually want to see your kid.

He can also live wherever he wants - looks like Tahoe based on his photos. Not the worst.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is super exciting and I can't wait to see what happens
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the skeptic in me says he's a good dude who was tired of losing to dopers
Last edited by: Cbus: Oct 5, 17 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Cbus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cbus wrote:

The skeptic in me says he'll get a chance to beat some dopers!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Cbus wrote:

The skeptic in me says he'll get a chance to beat some dopers!

A real skeptic would say he is a doper.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Cbus wrote:

The skeptic in me says he'll get a chance to beat some dopers![/quote

This x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His nickname is the pit bull so I don’t think he’ll be lacking in the motivation department. He’s a pretty intense little dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His coach does Ironman distance racing if that matters-
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

This. If he swam competitively as a kid, he should ultimately be fine in that department. Unlike former teammate cam wurf, the guy was one of the tour's top time trialists. No idea about the run potential.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [dutchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dutchboy wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
Cbus wrote:

The skeptic in me says he'll get a chance to beat some dopers![/quote

This x2

The skeptic in me says his doping is better than the dopers in triathlon. Should be fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Longcourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longcourse wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

This. If he swam competitively as a kid, he should ultimately be fine in that department. Unlike former teammate cam wurf, the guy was one of the tour's top time trialists. No idea about the run potential.

We need to know how competitively as a kid. Swimming as a kid is huge, but I have seen plenty of big engines that swam as a kids and they still don't swim that well. The influx of pro riders turning to triathlon is interesting, and while the idea of a less arduous racing seems appealing, the reality is the sport is very hard to make any money at. Meaningful sponsorship continues to dry up and you can't make a living on racing because you just can't race enough and it is too competitive.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you. One need only read Cody beal's year-end blog to see that reality. I'm guessing that he has some plans and/or hopes to monetize all the cycling contacts and goodwill.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Longcourse wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

We need to know how competitively as a kid. Swimming as a kid is huge, but I have seen plenty of big engines that swam as a kids and they still don't swim that well. The influx of pro riders turning to triathlon is interesting, and while the idea of a less arduous racing seems appealing, the reality is the sport is very hard to make any money at. Meaningful sponsorship continues to dry up and you can't make a living on racing because you just can't race enough and it is too competitive.

Talansky is no Cam Wurf. Talansky is more like...Steve Larsen? That seems like a solid comparison. You can definitely make "good" money in pro triathlon, you just have to be a consistent top 5 or 10 at Kona threat to get there. Which, as we all know, is not easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman...yawn..unles he’s trying to go pro
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt he'll need to worry about "going pro;" I'm sure USAT will grant him Elite Status whenever he requests it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predict his triathlon revenue will be in the hundreds of dollars. YUGE!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's going to have sponsors before he's in the water because of who he is. People will pay attention to him for his first year no matter his finishing spot.

I'm hoping he does an Emma Pooley and goes to Zofingen. Swimming is silly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next