Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with?
Quote | Reply
Little bit of office water cooler, winning the lottery, conversation here. BUT as the post says, If you had an unlimited coaching budget, who would you go with?
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttreise wrote:
Little bit of office water cooler, winning the lottery, conversation here. BUT as the post says, If you had an unlimited coaching budget, who would you go with?

Not sure what he costs but I would probably look at Jim Vance and/or David Tilbury Davis. I wouldn't get the idea that an unlimited budget gets you a better coach though.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr Michele Ferrari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the hottest female pro or model i could find or that would have me.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ttreise wrote:

Not sure what he costs but I would probably look at Jim Vance and/or David Tilbury Davis. I wouldn't get the idea that an unlimited budget gets you a better coach though.

Agree on more money does not equal better coaching.

Also interestingly, Bolton coached Kanute through the Olympics but Vance now gets a lot of the publicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ttreise wrote:

Also interestingly, Bolton coached Kanute through the Olympics but Vance now gets a lot of the publicity.

Yes and Zucco coached Kanute before Bolton. I realize Vance may take some credit now but my liking of Vance really goes back to 2012, maybe it was 13 when he started to time the first mile of the Ironman runners at both Kona and Ironman Arizona, showing how those that started out too fast paid the price by the end of the marathon. Regardless I looked into his coaching just now and it is up to $500 a month I just can't fathom any coach being worth that price for an amateur. At some level coaching isn't rocket science and the typical athlete needs someone to hold them accountable, hold them back, and provide some direction.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would spend the money on craft beer and coach myself.

#winning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would happily coach you for an unlimited budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Dr Michele Ferrari
Well played
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg Popovich. Great coach. Greater human being.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay, then how about unlitmed budget/no life obligations to join what ever tri "crew" anywhere in the world. IE Lindey's team in Boulder, Suttons team in Puckett*(?)
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I would spend the money on craft beer and coach myself.

#winning
Yep, that's about right.

My reason for not having a coach (or "coaching myself") is not that I can't or don't want to pay a coach. I don't have a coach because I don't want a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone who could be on deck 2-3 times a week to help me with my swim. Also, in this ideal world, they would have a good grasp of sports nutrition and would meal plan and come over and cook for me. It'd be nice to not have to spend time thinking about or doing those things anymore.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would form a small team with athletes that are similar to my abilities.

Realistically at my level, I would gain more from training groups than a high level coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for most would be better to take money for time off work to train maybe 3.5 day work week haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttreise wrote:
okay, then how about unlitmed budget/no life obligations to join what ever tri "crew" anywhere in the world. IE Lindey's team in Boulder, Suttons team in Puckett*(?)

Lovato has a great group in Boulder and is a top notch guy and coach.

The Apex crew is also awesome. Neal Henderson, Grant Holicky, etc... working with Cam Dye, Flora Duffy, and a lot of other great athletes and up and coming ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on a group setting, Training alone sucks aside from the lack of having to coordinate scheduling with others.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ttreise wrote:

Yes and Zucco coached Kanute before Bolton. I realize Vance may take some credit now but my liking of Vance really goes back to 2012, maybe it was 13 when he started to time the first mile of the Ironman runners at both Kona and Ironman Arizona, showing how those that started out too fast paid the price by the end of the marathon. Regardless I looked into his coaching just now and it is up to $500 a month I just can't fathom any coach being worth that price for an amateur. At some level coaching isn't rocket science and the typical athlete needs someone to hold them accountable, hold them back, and provide some direction.

Maybe. I guess you can ask Kanute if he thinks my fee is worth it? Take a look at his season. And of course, the season isn’t over yet. Value is in the results.

And $500 is my starting fee , not “up to”.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ttreise wrote:

Maybe. I guess you can ask Kanute if he thinks my fee is worth it? Take a look at his season. And of course, the season isn’t over yet. Value is in the results.

The question is about amateurs not professionals. I love where you have taken Ben Kanute's results to, but I am not going to recommend any amateur pay $6000 a year as a starting point. And no, I didn't mean "up to" as that was the ceiling, I meant it as your fees have move from a period of time up to $500. Regardless there are better recommendations.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Oct 11, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
Value is in the results.

No. Value is in the results (with a coach) that are incremental/above and beyond would-be results (without a coach).

And, that's an absurd fee, but good for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you didn't answer the question of the OP.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Unlimited Coaching Budget, Who would you go with? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
JimVance wrote:
Value is in the results.

No. Value is in the results (with a coach) that are incremental/above and beyond would-be results (without a coach).

And, that's an absurd fee, but good for you.

That was exactly what I meant, sorry I didn't state it specifically. The reason to hire a coach is generally because you aren't happy with your current results tho, no? The value of the difference is clearly individual.

I don't know what your career or hourly wage is, but I would bet if you lined it up with the effort to coach someone, it would be close or more than that.

I have no problem saying I am not the best coach for everyone, nor the most affordable. And that's ok. I will just keep proving my value in the results of my athletes.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn’t Joe Friel up to like a $1k a month when he was coaching age groupers or that an urban legend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd move out west and go with johnnyo. Smart guy with great insight having been a pro. And there's this:

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Appreciate the nod Thomas, very kind.

Regards

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next