Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goals were 6 swims (did 5, and one was only 100 yards because I got to the pool late - but that's okay), 3 bikes (did one, but bike mileage equalled run mileage for the week!), and a day off from running (done).

Totals 9775 yd swim, 46.5 mi bike, 46.5 mi run

Goals for this week - do a good job alternating fast runs with interval runs. Finish a metric century on Saturday. Swim 5x. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had another easy week.

Quote:
I'm traveling this week but I'll commit to a yoga class, a trainer ride, an [ocean] swim, two runs, a session to assess my off-season strength training plan, and daily p/rehab.
I did all of the above, went to the east coast for a lovely wedding, and spent time with my family.

I've been in recovery mode for the last two weeks. TrainingPeaks probably thinks I'm dead. I've been exercising but I've also eaten too much, drank too much, and generally lazed about it. That's all been lovely but I'm ready to get moving again.

This week I'll aim for 3 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, and 1 yoga class.

On a personal note, this Wednesday will be 365 days since I started running again after last summer's time on disabled list. This is my first year of consistent, injury-free training and racing since I was in high school. I'm in my thirties now so this is an arbitrary but important personal goal for me.

I hope everyone has a great week of training!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Women!

Nice yardage and mileage, TC. I pale in comparison.

Glad you had a splendid week, SoCal.

I had a pretty mediocre week last week. Damn the water is cold! I missed Wednesday's OWS because of work. Sunday it was a balmy 57 degrees. YIKES. I swam faster, though. I'm still sticking with my OWS routine even though the weather is changing. This is the most consistently I've swam in over 10 years. I was semi-consistent for about 3 months in 2014, but nothing more than that in forever. I'm seeing solid gains and am moving up in the rankings. I'm solidly in the A- group now. Two more OWS on the schedule for this week. With all the OWS, I'm trying to decide if I should renew my membership at the gym (pool). I guess with winter coming I probably should.

I did three very light sessions on the bike, to total 2:15 for the week. My legs just haven't wanted to do more yet. This week I'm aiming for 4+ hours in the saddle.

I have picked up on the running. I did an 18-miler on Saturday as a guide with a friend (she's blind) training for NY. We were both ready to throw in the towel at mile 9, but we pushed through and finished amazingly strong. My legs aren't too angry with me. I might pick up a 1/2 marathon race in a couple of weeks since I have the mileage built up. We're also doing a 20-miler on Friday the 13th of October, so I may just throw in a marathon if I can find one that doesn't interfere with my back-to-back 70.3 and Oly 10/28 and 11/5. I want to get 4 runs in this week and hit a nice trail run for the weekend. It has been a long time since I've run the mountains (remember all those pictures I used to post!?).

I've also decided it is time to shed 20 pounds. I've let my weight creep up over the last year, when I was already 15 pounds heavy. My kid grew up, became a man, and moved out. Since then, my husband and our friends have been reliving our 20's and partying it up. Hey, it's Tuesday. Drinks? Sure! Wednesday. Night out? Sure! Damn calories. Oh well. Time to grow up and be 40 again. I guess I'll start out by trying drop below 160. Alcohol and appetizers will make 160 an easy goal. The hard part will be saying 'no' to all my girlfriends! We have so much fun! Gah. Oh well. I hate being fat. Of course, all that fat has really helped with 57 degree swimming.....

Rock on, Women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Sep 26, 17 3:24
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies! Glad to hear training is going well. Boy, do I relate to recovering from injury and/or weight gain! I've had a stress fracture and ITBS in the past and am also currently working at getting that weight back down. It's so frustrating, and I'm not a spring chicken anymore, haha. Anna, sorry to hear your children are sick! Sending you healing thoughts so your family can get healthy and back to normal soon.

I had a bad cold two weeks ago so last week was great by comparison. Five runs, two rides (one outside), and two weights sessions. I had to cut Sunday's run short because it was 94 degrees (34 for my Canadian friends). I can do hot, I can do sunny, and I can do no breeze, but all three was just too much for me on Sunday. So my husband and I played hooky and had a few drinks by the pool instead. =) I won't hit 100 miles for the month, mostly because of being sick, but I'm surprisingly OK with it. Also in round number news, my total training time last week was 9 hours, 52 minutes. WHY OH WHY didn't I add it up beforehand so I could do 10 minutes of yoga to hit an even 10? Or run one more mile? GRRR! A minor frustration for a typical Type A triathlete, I guess. Haha

We have a big work event Saturday so I am going to really try to hit a workout every weekday. It was 94 again yesterday so I ran on the treadmill, boring but much cooler and I have Netflix. I'd like to run 4-5 total times this week, do at least 2 trainer rides, and lift twice. Hitting the pool and extra stuff will be tricky, but we'll see what I can fit in.

Side note: Do any of you use TrainerRoad? I have a subscription and have done the odd workout but would like to try an actual training plan over the winter. I'm wondering if there's any advantage over the Sweet Spot Base and the mid-volume Olympic Triathlon base, for example, or if I should just pick one and go with it.

Pic is of me after my run Thursday, hahaha -- I had dead bugs under my nails. SOOOOO GROSS!!!!!!!!!!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TC, your volume and consistency are admirable.

SLO, good on you for staying consistent but BRRR! It's 10 degrees warmer down here (I haven't even put my wetsuit back on!) but lots of swimmers are already giving up for "winter" -- I'm going to send them north to toughen up! When it gets too cold up there, you have an open invitation to swim with me (well, way faster and in front of me) should you find yourself in LA.

Anna, thank you! That's really nice of you to say. My account is more words than pictures and as self-indulgent as it is Instagram has been really helpful for me. I've found a supportive community of athletes/former athletes and enjoy having to think and write out my feelings as I navigate this weird little journey we are on. Y'all should PM me your handles so I can follow you too :D
I hope you find your motivation and that you and your children all feel better soon.

Midtown, glad you're feeling better! And cute picture too! Good work planning ahead, I hope you fit everything in.

Have a great week everyone.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm even more flattered :)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh all those bugs are so gross! But replied to you because yes, I am a TR user and use it consistently over the winters because -40 & snow isn't exactly conducive to anything else. I've been using it since 2014 so might be able to help if you have a question.

My goals were 3 rides (YES), 2 run (YES) and 1 non-pre-run strength session in the hope that I will actually do it (NOPE).

This week is a bit out of sorts for me because I was out of town most of the day yesterday and by the time I got home I had drunk three lattes and had overdosed (for me) on caffeine. It was terrible. I also have evening classes (6-10pm) three nights this week. And then I'm out of town on the weekend too. So I shall aim for 3 bikes (1 done) and 2 runs and if one of those runs is a hike/walk in Lake Louise instead I won't complain.

I bought myself a dress yesterday; it is more girly than I would normally buy but I'm really pleased with the purchase. (This is not really relevant to anything but it's been a while since I bought a fancy dress so I thought I'd mention it.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
omg icky bugs! I would not have run in that. Your are tough.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On a personal note, this Wednesday will be 365 days since I started running again after last summer's time on disabled list. This is my first year of consistent, injury-free training and racing since I was in high school. I'm in my thirties now so this is an arbitrary but important personal goal for me.

That's awesome. Congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna, the Alps must have been beautiful.
The kittens are good! They are starting to eat some solid food and drink water. They often put their feet in the water bowl, as they're still learning what it is, and that's funny. They do a lot of gentle fighting, which is adorable.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right, I forgot you're my go-to TR resource (kidding, kidding). I was scrolling through the plans and wondering if there's any real difference between starting with the Sweet Spot Base or the Olympic Triathlon Base, for example. But Michigan winters are also long and cold so I'll probably have the chance to go through all of them, haha.

Also that dress is super cute. It's funny to see ourselves dressed up when we're in spandex and tech tees so often.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
The kittens are good! ... They do a lot of gentle fighting, which is adorable.
omg pics please

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the TR guys offer this advice for picking plans: if you are doing swim & run as well as bike, then picking a triathlon specific plan may make more sense because those are designed to take into account the training stress from doing 2 other sports as well. When the revamped tri plans first came out I had just been doing sweet spot base and I seem to remember I was fine but this was a couple of years ago and I never saw the tri plan through because of my knee injury.

How much time you have is another factor; I work off the basis that I am unlikely to be able to ride outside consistently until mid-late April and in a bad year, May. This means I have a reaaaaaalllly long indoor season. At the moment what I'm doing is Sustained Power Build as I have a cycling trip to Tucson in December and I want to be relatively strong for that. Once I get back I'll start the base/build/specialty cycle again with sweet spot etc. The oly base looks like it is 6 weeks, the sweet spot is twice as long.

And you might get good results whatever plan you pick because I always find it's the fact of the structured training that is most effective, the actual details of the training less so...

TL;DR: do whichever plan seems more fun to you, stick to it, that'll get you the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures of the dress, please! Pictures of the kittens, please! And more pictures of people looking cute despite a bug tornado, please!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 25 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I lack the technical competence to upload a picture so here is a link instead: http://littlecondo.tumblr.com/...myself-a-dress-today

(I have chosen a file, uploaded it as an attachment and clicked "inline" but when I preview the post there is nothing. Where am I going wrong?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great dress, you look fantastic!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect, that's what I needed to know. I figured picking something and sticking with it was the most important. Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Reply