Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Surfing Comes to Cen Cal
Quote | Reply
We don't need no stinking ocean. https://www.nytimes.com/...?mcubz=1&mcubz=1

Kelly Slater buys an existing water ski/wakeboarding lake and transforms it into an artificial surf ranch.

About 15 minutes from my house. Guess I will take up surfing. Cowabunga.

Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had a surfpark in Austin for a couple years that looks to be similar technology.

http://nlandsurfpark.com/surf/

Kelly's wave looks much better though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Footage from that place has been floating around for a while (even some "spy" pics before it was officially unveiled). Impressive technology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in a house on the corner of Jackson and 18th Ave. in Lemoore. His Surf Ranch is only a half a mile away from that house. How fun would it have been to have that around back then.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Kelly Slater buys an existing water ski/wakeboarding lake and transforms it into an artificial surf ranch.

Good luck with that. Unless you're a friend of Kelly or a current pro surfer, you'll never paddle out in that wave pool.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Good luck with that. Unless you're a friend of Kelly or a current pro surfer, you'll never paddle out in that wave pool.

Also it's not going to be cheap. Everytime you eat it, not only will you take a hit in the wallet but you'll have a line of people laughing at you.

And you won't learn one of the most important skills of surfing, how to spot waves and move into position. That's like 90% of the skill of surfing.
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can see that crappy golf course in the background of the pics!

Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Also it's not going to be cheap. Everytime you eat it, not only will you take a hit in the wallet but you'll have a line of people laughing at you.

And you won't learn one of the most important skills of surfing, how to spot waves and move into position. That's like 90% of the skill of surfing.

I'm thinking it will be $1000/day, you stand in line with a bunch of other scrubs and maybe get 1 or 2 waves per hour, assuming the machine doesn't go down like a Disney ride (can't remember the last time we were there and the Temple of Doom ride worked). And like you said, you're not developing any of the real skills you need to ride waves of consequence. BTW, does it pull one direction for the rights and then pull back for the lefts?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzzkill

Quote | Reply
Smil'n Hawaiian wrote:
I grew up in a house on the corner of Jackson and 18th Ave. in Lemoore. His Surf Ranch is only a half a mile away from that house. How fun would it have been to have that around back then.

So you're a local then. Go in a bust some skulls!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surf by day, Tachi Palace at night, living the dream!

Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you won't learn one of the most important skills of surfing, how to spot waves and move into position. That's like 90% of the skill of surfing.//

Does that look like a beginner wave that people learn on to you?? I mean really, folks surfing that wave already have all the skills you pointed to and then some. This is a wave to fine tune advanced skills and quite honestly get you in shape. Almost no where in the world would you get such a wave that long where you could do so many different maneuvers. I remember surfing behind a ski boat using the wake and holding the rope, did about 5 minutes and my legs were toast.

Not sure what he eventually plans for this wave park, seems like just a lot of friends feeling it out and creating a lot of buzz at the moment. A grand a day, probably not a bad guess I would say. Only a finite number of people can fit in the pool in a day and I assume like any giant pool it has some pretty large fixed costs + the wave machine. I might even think about it around that price someday, hope I get the chance. It would be brutal if it were like a $100 a wave and you caught a rail on your first turn though!!
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonus: no sharks

Quote | Reply
Sounds like he's also setting it up to hold competition events, so I'm sure that will be a big part of recouping the investment and business model.

Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If people are able to buy ticket passes, I bet they'll be a lower class ticket, lets call it a Kook Pass. Where you have selected lineup areas along the waves path, where you only get to hop onto the wave if the main surfer wipes out. Sad to have that long ass wave go to waste if not.

Or if the rider falls, they just stop the underwater foil making the wave and bring it back earlier instead of letting it run its full course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
You can see that crappy golf course in the background of the pics!

Yep, that's were we hung out instead :(

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Sounds like he's also setting it up to hold competition events, so I'm sure that will be a big part of recouping the investment and business model.

When I was younger and living in Arizona we had a local surf competition at the wave pool. I won the competition and set my sights on becoming one of the big boys out in Hawaii.
One my first run some local douche got in my way and wiped out. His buddies stole my board and chased me from the beach. After meeting a local old timer I finally started to become a real surfer and understand the local culture. Picked up a sweet chick along the way too. Here's a picture of me and her enjoying some quality beach time together.

Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL good stuff!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sailors at Lemoore NAS will enjoy it.

Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Endo wrote:

When I was younger and living in Arizona we had a local surf competition at the wave pool. I won the competition and set my sights on becoming one of the big boys out in Hawaii.
One my first run some local douche got in my way and wiped out. His buddies stole my board and chased me from the beach. After meeting a local old timer I finally started to become a real surfer and understand the local culture. Picked up a sweet chick along the way too. Here's a picture of me and her enjoying some quality beach time together.

And your art set and belt buckle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Endo wrote:

No one listens to Turtle!

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the machinery to make that work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes 10-15 minutes for the water to calm down between waves. From what I understand you can get a "rideable wave" within 5 minutes.

You just can't monetize that unless your clients are wealthy, stupid and surf really well.

Also any live broadcast of a contest would be boring (more so than a regular contest).

This thing is just a private playground.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Surfing Comes to Cen Cal [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It takes 10-15 minutes for the water to calm down between waves. From what I understand you can get a "rideable wave" within 5 minutes.

You just can't monetize that unless your clients are wealthy, stupid and surf really well.

Also any live broadcast of a contest would be boring (more so than a regular contest).

This thing is just a private playground.

The NYT article linked said:

"On Tuesday, the waves ran every four minutes, but the system can be programmed to run every three."

(edit: although they probably need the full 10-15 minutes to let things calm if they want to change direction)
Last edited by: spudone: Sep 21, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whatever floats your boat.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next