Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp wheel safe to ride or turn into art project?
Quote | Reply
Got this wheel in a package deal with some other bike components. Owner said it was involved in a crash (the rear wheel was toast), and now has some scrapes on the brake track. On one hand, the scrapes look superficial, but on the other hand, its the brake track. Anyone have thoughts on if this is safe to ride? I might turn it into a clock if it isn't...

http://oi63.tinypic.com/qryf60.jpg

http://oi68.tinypic.com/351ee80.jpg

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel safe to ride or turn into art project? [boltz1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would personally make it into a clock with that kind of damage on the brake track. Plus I love wheel clocks...

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zipp offers a crash replacement program. Talk to your local Zipp dealer
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel safe to ride or turn into art project? [KevcoRep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kids pay triple for brake rotors that are blinged up...."drilled and slotted" they call it. Only impact of "drilled and slotted" rotors are additional wear on your car's brake pads.

The wheels don't look that bad to me. My 20yr old Zipp Disk is in much worse shape.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel safe to ride or turn into art project? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

The wheels don't look that bad to me. My 20yr old Zipp Disk is in much worse shape.

No way. Don't listen to this guy. The wheels are toast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question to ask yourself is if the wheels disintegrates underneath you at 30 mph will you feel like you made the right choice.

Or put another way, is the risk worth your life?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NFW. Art project.
Quote Reply