Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here)
Quote | Reply
This just in: our remaining testers post reviews after their target races: a hot and hilly 70.3 Worlds, and IM Wisconsin.
Just in time for IM 70.3 World Championships, and leading into Kona and your late season races where this product will be served on course, read what your fellow Slowtwitchers have to say after a 30 day test of the new Gatorade Endurance Formula.
The new Gatorade Endurance Formula has no artificial flavors or sweeteners, uses beta carotene for color, and features a much lighter taste. Featuring a multi-carbohydrate blend, Gatorade Endurance New Formula helps endurance athletes maintain performance and lowers the risk of stomach discomfort during a hard training session or race (ideal benefit at 2.5 hours+).
Testers were asked to pay particular attention to:

• Previous nutritional issues during training and racing
  • How they used Gatorade Endurance New Formula during race prep
  • Flavor and product preferences, lightness of flavor, and lightness of flavor over time (>2 hours)
  • Perceived energy short term and over a sustained period of time (2.5 hours or longer)
  • Convenience of use
  • Digestibility
  • Other comments and suggestions

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Sep 14, 17 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post the back of package nutrition info breakdown? Much appreciated!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athletic Background: Was an athlete in high school and drinker in college. After college I eventually starting running and doing marathons. Eventually I got a little bored just running around everywhere and found triathlon. I've been in the sport about 6 years now, mostly focused on half distance races but have done 1 full. This year I have been focused on shorter races. I'm a solid MOP athlete, hoping to work my way to the front eventually.

Nutritional Background: I typically use Power Gels and regular Gatorade in training and then whatever the race is serving typically.

Product Received: I received 2 tubs of Gatorade Endurance, 1 Orange, 1 Cherry and 1 box of Gatorade endurance packets that were designed to make 24 oz bottles.

My Review: I used this product exactly as designed, which is actually a little rare for me. In training I typically use regular Gatorade powder mix but typically make it stronger than the directions call for because I like the flavor better that way. Since I was writing this review I thought it was best to follow the directions exactly. I thought that would allow me to provide the best feedback on both the flavor and the effectiveness. From a flavor perspective I had different opinions on all 3 flavors. At first I used the cherry mix. Cherry is not typically a flavor I would buy on my own but I found the taste to be excellent. It was definitely my favorite of the 3. I'm not sure exactly what it was but it was different and good. Orange was up next, to me one of the classic Gatorade flavors. For some reason this flavor didn't meet my expectation, I usually like orange Gatorade and this didn't taste like it at all and I didn't really enjoy it. Lemon line was the last flavor I tried, another classic flavor. I found this to be very similar to regular lemon lime Gatorade and quite tasty.

I used Gatorade endurance for all racing and training for about 4-6 weeks. This included runs as short at 45 minutes and rides as long as 4 hours and everything in between. I felt like it provided sufficient nutrition for all of the workouts, whether they were short and easy or long and hard. Also, I had no issues stomaching it at all, though I feel like I have a pretty strong stomach and haven't ever really had issues digesting nutrition.

I had two sprint triathlons during this period and used the Gatorade Endurance Formula for both of them and found my nutrition/hydration to be great during both. While some may not think much of a sprint, races in North Carolina in July and August are HOT! I typically drink at least one bottle before each race and at least one during, if not more.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed the Gatorade Endurance New Formula. It is my first experience with Gatorade Endurance outside of races and it will not be my last. I don't know that I will use it every day in training, I plan to use it for longer efforts and will definitely be using the Cherry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some of this at a race two weeks ago - it was delicious! I wish it were easier to find in stores.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Background: 45yo male, lives in Missouri (can get hot/humid)
Did distance running/CC in youth, 8 years in USMC, adult sporting included marathons, cycling, CF, and roller derby.
3rd year triathlete, primarily Oly and HIM distance.
This past year I typically placed in top 1/4, AG podium on a few small/local Oly distance races.
Doing first full IM at Louisville this October. I requested to join this review primarily because it would be nice to try what is being served on-course.

-received the products late July and started using August 1st.
-previously used EFS and Heed for electrolyte drink, GU gels for nutrition.

-Received 2 tubs (32oz/ 38 servings) of Gatorade Endurance (New formula) (1 Orange, 1 Cherry) and 1 box of 12 Lemon/Lime individual packets. And a Gatorade Endurance branded cycling bottle.

- I generally like orange flavoring the most, the cherry surprised me on how well it tasted. The Lemon/Lime was agreeable as well.

- I used the product as recommended on the label. 3 scoops/1 packet for a 24 oz cycling bottle. I found if you fill the bottle 1/3 then add the powder you cut down on the amount to "powder dust" that comes out, and it dissolved more complete than dumping into an empty bottle. Also, it seemed to dissolve better in less-cold water (better in cool tap water than ice-cold)

- The taste was spot on for my liking, not too sweet and a hint of saltiness. Still enough flavor to get an idea of the concentration level. If the temperature was going to be high, I'd add an extra half-scoop and it still tasted good. I even tried it with 5 scoops/bottle, and it still didn't taste bad, not overwhelming and syrupy.

- I used for any training that lasted an hour or longer. 1 bottle for long swims, 1 bottle for each hour running or cycling. I didn't think it provided enough calories/energy for "extended" training events (based on personal preference/needs). For events last more than a couple hours (ie: 5 hour cycling) I also added Carbo-Pro for increased calories.
- I also made a concentrated mix (4-1), adding 1/4 bottle to 1 bottle of water in the BTA reservoir. That worked out well.

- The individual serving packets were convenient for longer training events, I just needed a source of water.

- did not have a discernable GI issues. The only times I did have issue, I could identify the cause (ie: spicy dinner the night before)

- I did feel the electrolyte provided in the product was sufficient for long efforts. I did not use any other electrolyte source (salt tabs or Base salt) during this test period.

- I would use this product more if it were more widely available (mix not available in local grocery stores, individual bottles in quick-marts or gas stations)
Last edited by: srschick: Sep 6, 17 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where might one sign up to test stuff like this in the future?
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [bullmoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bullmoose wrote:
Where might one sign up to test stuff like this in the future?
There will be a post announcing upcoming testing/reviews so that folks will keep their eyes open for the subsequent posts asking for testers for each product.
Our nutritionals generally ask for 10 athletes; slots fill up pretty quickly, in a day.
Historically, we've done them every two years, when there's a new brand or forumulation. Testing begins late June or early July so that testers can get a good training block before their target events.
You can always PM me if you have questions about a specific product.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Can you post the back of package nutrition info breakdown? Much appreciated!

Hi Miles:
Click here for page.
Then click the little box with orange lines on the left and package label will come up.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 1/2 Tbsp (24g) / Makes about 12 fl ozServings Per Container About 38
Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g0%
Sodium 300mg13%
Potassium 140mg2%
Total Carbohydrate 22g8%
Sugars 13g
Protein 0g
% DV
Magnesium0%
Not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CALCIUM LACTATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, GUM ARABIC, MAGNESIUM OXIDE
Last updated on August 24, 2017.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you and I'm looking forward to the feedback and comparison to the 'old' Gatorade Endurance. I'd be curious to try it on the course, but will probably play it safe and use what's been working very well for me personally, EFS Pro.

For me, the 'old' Gatorade Endurace was too high in sugars, which affected water absorption for me, causing water to sit/swish in my stomach vs the water being more quickly absorbed; I'd get dry cotton mouth and was thirsty despite drinking more. I don't get this wit EFS drink mix or EFS Pro, or other mixes like Gu Roctane or Clifshot drink mix, the latter two combined with salt tabs to get the sodium+potassium/hour up. I'm finding EFS Pro used on really hot days is good at 240 calories/hour which provides 2,500m sodium+potassium/hour. The new Endurance, at 240 calories per hour, would provide 1,173 sodium+potassium/hour.

Here's a very quick and dirty comparison:

Gatorade Endurance:
(Pot+Sod)/Cal: 4.88
Sug/Cal: 0.144

EFS Pro:
(Pot+Sod)/Cal: 10.41
Sug/Cal: 0.0833

Last edited by: milesthedog: Sep 6, 17 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am a 33 year old male who was an average athlete in high school and did no athletic activity until I turned 29. This is my 4th year doing triathlons, mostly olympic distance, 2 HIM and I am currently training for Ironman Chattanooga on September 24th. I compete for age group podiums in local races and was top 1/3 in my 70.3 events in my age group...essentially and average triathlete.

I was excited to get a chance to use the new Gatorade Endurance formula because my first time using the old formula was at Eagleman 70.3 and loved it. I used it for almost a year after the race, but eventually decided to get away from it because I did not think it was giving me what I needed.

I was sent 2 tubs of Gatorade Endurance, one cherry and one orange; along with one box of packets for one bottle in lemon-lime flavor. I started using the product right away in late July and have been using ever since. All three flavors taste good, but lemon-lime is my favorite with cherry a close second. I was very curious how they would taste warm as most of our races the liquid nutrition we use always gets warm sitting there and they all tasted well. Again, I thought the lemon-lime tasted the best warm.

I used the product for any workout an hour or more. I initially started using as instructed, but began putting an extra scoop in each water bottle. I did that for two reasons 1) I sweat a lot so I wanted more nutritional value in each bottle and 2) it strengthened the taste. It mixed up very well and easy. Just put scoops in the water bottle and hand shake for 15 seconds and done...no issues there.

I did not notice any difference in my workouts on the bike using the Gatorade in comparison to my nutrition I was using before. However, on my long runs, especially the 2+ hour runs, I felt great throughout the entire run. I am a believer in the Gatorade Endurance for my long runs! I had no unusual stomach issues while using it.

The only race I was able to use it in was one olympic race. I took a bottle before the race and one on the bike during the race. I did have a poor run that day, but I do think there were other factors that contributed to that other than the Gatorade Endurance.

I am looking forward to continuing to use Gatorade Endurance throughout the rest of my Ironman prep and during the race. Based on my experiences with it that last month, “peak” Ironman prep, I feel it is enough to get me through my race and under my goal time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the basics: 45 year old male, 187 pounds this morning, 6'7”. Living on the Alabama Gulf Coast, what most people call really hot and humid we call perfectly normal .

September 9 will be my two year anniversary racing triathlons, started with a mini sprint, doing the olympic distance this year. Two sprints to follow, ending with 70.3 New Orleans in October.

Summer here is pretty much our off-season, too hot to race or even train hard, Everyone takes it down a few notches, taking breaks during longer runs.

I was eager to get to try this. I've been trying a few different drink products, but have not found one that worked for me. A lot of the 'fancier' products are really expensive while they taste gross. I've also tried to combination of saltchews with water and gel (essentially the three ingredients of a sports drink separated) but it's a pain when you simply want to go for a run.

Flavors:
Gatorade sent me single-use packets in lemon-lime, and a container each of cherry and orange.
The lemon-lime still tastes like what they have on course at Ironman and I don't like it. It reminds me of puke, and that's the last thing I want to do while running.
The orange has a great taste, almost like water with an slice of orange squeezed out.
Now the cherry is fantastic. I don't know if it actually tastes like cherry, but it has just the composition for me, so much that I don't even notice it when I drink it. It is 100% neutral to me. Which is also great because it doesn't mess with the Huma gel, or the saltstick chews I add on extra sweaty days. The cherry is by far the best drink I've ever tried for this purpose.

All three go down without trouble, no issue keeping it down, no side effects at all.

Also without trouble is the mixing. Scoop it in a bottle, add water, shake, done. No residue, can easily mix the day before and keep it in the fridge. Also stays fine when it gets hot, no noticeable changes.

Didn't use it during any races (that will be this Saturday for an Olympic). But during plenty of longer rides, hard runs, many at dewpoint above 75, heat index of 100+, actual temps at 90+, it worked great.
I usually didn't bother with gels under 2 hours, felt that the Gatorade provided plenty energy. And only on the hot runs I'd bring a couple saltchews.

Some random things I noticed during the past month:

• I feel like it's a lot less sticky than the old product

• It stains my bottles a bit, the lemonlime and orange

I agree with the earlier posters: cherry is awesome, and it would be great to have this available at least at the bike / run shops.
I'll keep using this, it's a great product.

(it's past my bedtime, apologies for the slightly incoherent rambling)

NO
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Thank you and I'm looking forward to the feedback and comparison to the 'old' Gatorade Endurance. I'd be curious to try it on the course, but will probably play it safe and use what's been working very well for me personally, EFS Pro.

For me, the 'old' Gatorade Endurace was too high in sugars, which affected water absorption for me, causing water to sit/swish in my stomach vs the water being more quickly absorbed; I'd get dry cotton mouth and was thirsty despite drinking more. I don't get this wit EFS drink mix or EFS Pro, or other mixes like Gu Roctane or Clifshot drink mix, the latter two combined with salt tabs to get the sodium+potassium/hour up. I'm finding EFS Pro used on really hot days is good at 240 calories/hour which provides 2,500m sodium+potassium/hour. The new Endurance, at 240 calories per hour, would provide 1,173 sodium+potassium/hour.

Gatorade Endurance:

EFS Pro:

Referencing my comparison above, is there anyone who's tried the new Endurance who finds original formula Gatorade and old Endirsnce too high in simple sugars? If so, for those people, what was your experience with the new formula, which appears to still have pretty high sugar content and middle of the road electrolytes vs what I'd call the industry leader in hot weather endurance drink mix....?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Gatorade Endurance:

EFS Pro:

Referencing my comparison above, is there anyone who's tried the new Endurance who finds original formula Gatorade and old Endirsnce too high in simple sugars? If so, for those people, what was your experience with the new formula, which appears to still have pretty high sugar content and middle of the road electrolytes vs what I'd call the industry leader in hot weather endurance drink mix....?
I am not one of the reviewers, but I had it on course at IM CDA. The new stuff is vast improvement over the old endurance formula. The old stuff just tasted like concentrated Gatorade to me, while the new stuff actually tastes and performs like nutrition designed for long course. The new does not taste sweet, but rather minerally (especially the orange). Once I really started sweating on the bike, the mineral flavor went away and it was a good flavor. With the increased electrolytes, I found I was less thirsty, and kept my liquid intake in check (I tend to overdrink on the bike). I experienced no sloshy stomach, but YYMV.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Gatorade Endurance:

EFS Pro:

I am not one of the reviewers, but I had it on course at IM CDA. The new stuff is vast improvement over the old endurance formula. The old stuff just tasted like concentrated Gatorade to me, while the new stuff actually tastes and performs like nutrition designed for long course. The new does not taste sweet, but rather minerally (especially the orange). Once I really started sweating on the bike, the mineral flavor went away and it was a good flavor. With the increased electrolytes, I found I was less thirsty, and kept my liquid intake in check (I tend to overdrink on the bike). I experienced no sloshy stomach, but YYMV.

Much appreciated. OK, my stomach tends to be OK in the late stages of the run, as in I can drink Coke. So, I'll try the new Gatorade then and see what I think.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a ST Gatorade Endurance reviewer:

Quick Summary: This MOP ‘tri-hard’ would strongly consider Gatorade Endurance (GE) for IM 140.6/70.3 branded races given some additional training/testing due to GE availability on course. Pluses: mixes easily, not too strong of a flavor, cherry tasted good, zero stomach issues during the testing period. Concerns: calories are low per bottle based on recommended preparation, flavor is stronger than I prefer during long training/races (t>4hrs), I did not enjoy the lemon-lime or orange taste.

Background: 40y male from NY, 6ft 170-165lbs, 6y in triathlon, 3xIMLP finisher (~11:30pb)…Lifelong athlete in ‘hand-eye’ sports but little endurance focus until triathlon. I have used a custom Infinit Formula with zero nutritional issues for all IM builds but requested to review the GE product after noticing some of the fast-looking guys having Gatorade Endurance (the previous formulation?) pre-loaded on their bikes at IM70.3 Syracuse in June. I am curious if living off the course could help eliminate concentrated bottles and stopping at special needs to re-load with Infinit.

Product tested: I received powdered forms of GE including (12) lemon lime individual servings, (1) 2lb tub of orange, and (1) 2lb tub of cherry along. Gatorade also included a kind hand written note and a GE water bottle. The product was used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. GE was used for all training after IMLP and in prep for IMLP70.3 including several long hikes (3-7hrs) while on vacation out west. This review will compare GE to the custom Infinit mix I use for all prior 140.6/70.3 races.

Taste, Convenience, Digestibility: GE has a noticeably milder flavor than Gatorade purchased at a gas station, but it is still stronger than I prefer and much stronger than my selected Infinit mix. It doesn’t taste too sugary to me and has a mild chemical/mineral-like after taste (probably due to the increased salts) that wasn’t bad. I liked the Cherry flavor the best and wasn’t a fan of either the lemon-lime or orange. I would tolerate any of these flavors for a 70.3 but I am less certain about a 140.6 or rides over 4hrs. The single serve packs were simple to use and all forms are instantly miscible with water suggesting that concentrated fuel bottles would be easily prepared. This is likely due to the very fine grind of the product which produces a wafting effect (dispersing cloud of sugar) as one scoops the product into a bottle. This is kind of annoying actually but may a sign of a quality manufacturing. I had no stomach issues during testing (never had any with Infinite either).

Nutritional Profile: I don’t feel that the calories as recommended will be sufficient for 140.6/70.3 training or racing. The electrolyte levels are significantly increased compared to traditional Gatorade products and are likely sufficient to eliminate salt tabs on the bike for me.

For Comparison to the custom Infinit I use per 24oz bottle:
Top Two Ingredients: GE=Maltodextrin, Fructose..…I=Maltodextrin, Dextrose
Calories: GE=180…I=273
Carbs (sugar): GE=46g(28g)..…I=64g(28g)
Protein: GE=0g..…I=3.7g
Sodium: GE=620mg…..I=416mg
Potassium: GE=280mg..…I=121mg
Calcium: GE=0mg..…I=28mg
Magnesium: GE=0mg..…I=21mg
Last edited by: jots7: Sep 7, 17 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found exactly what Vince said. It's a real endurance hydration product, vs a convenience store thirst quencher.
I never checked the difference in sugars but I did noticed it's way less sticky which should relate to sugary m

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Background:
Long history of endurance training and racing with high caloric and sodium (750 -1000mg/hour) requirements when training and racing. Blessed with good gut, but have suffered the usual distress later in IM events.

Usual routine for Ironman distance racing/training adjusted for conditions (heat):
Bike - custom blended slurry X2 on bike 750 calories/1000mg Na each, addl bars, gels, salt tabs to bring caloric intake >2000 and Na > 4000.
Run - Course performance drink and salt tabs, gels with water, and ending in coke and whatever else goes down.
Training – Basically a version of above with less calories

I like to keep things simple and be able to live off the course, however, I started with the custom mix on the bike about 5 years ago to get digestible carbos and sodium in using fluid form.

Gatorade Endurance

First experience was at IMLP
I didn’t have the product yet so my bike routine was as per above, on the run I went 100% of my fluids with Endurance since it was on course. At first flavor was so light I thought it had been poorly mixed (diluted) as we have all tasted the variability of course drinks. The good news from the race was that after mile 20 I was still pulling Gatorade from the stops. I have usually switch to cokes or water by this time as my stomach simply has had enough of the sugar. This experience has held up in training with the product after IMLP.

Post IMLP - IMAZ prep
I used the product in 2 ways; on the bike I mixed a concentrated version of ~8 servings (720 calories/2400mg sodium) with 22oz of water. I would consume this over the course of 2 or 3 hours and chase it down with water (between 2 or 3 bottles depending on temps/intensity). Running I would mix per instructions and concentration.

Taste:
I had lemon lime, orange and cherry with later being my favorite. Flavors are notably lighter in a good way. I initially missed the feeling of a sugar hit a strong flavor gives you, but knew for the long haul less is more and that strong flavor was what I dreaded in the later parts of races. Would credit the flavor for a more tolerable taste over a long distance.

Energy and nutrition:
Very pleased here as the sodium/carb content (ratio) makes for a much more concentrated solution negating any additional salt intake on the bike for training and reduced need on long runs (tab/hour). The delivery is consistent with no lulls or spikes. I do still use gels on the tail end of long runs for the caffeine and additional energy as I try to negative split these efforts.

Overall:
Flavors are good, light and tolerable for a long day. Nutrition content is perfect for long training or racing. Product mixes easily even into high concentrated bottles. One potential improvement is to offer a version with caffeine, but take them in the context that I am a caffeine junkie! A great product that I will continue to use and it will replace my custom ordered mix, nice work by Gatorade!
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 Slowtwitch Nutritional Reviews: Gatorade Endurance New Formula (Post reviews here) [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aftertaste on the new orange formulation is pretty nasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many apologies for the delay in this test test response.

46 yrs old, 11 yr tri-vet., Average 1-2 70.3 races/yr or 1 70.3 and 1 full/yr plus multiple shorter races.
Stomach is sensitive. Very limited diet before/during a race. Have found that regular Gatorade does not bother me generally. Used EF when I could find it without ordering online which was rare in Central WI. I like Clif shot blox and Clif gels, the only ones that do not bug my gut, with Gu next best. Anything else gets ugly like an ape in a hurry. No issues on the bike, just with the run. Also have found that get side-stitches at times after long hard bike followed by hard effort run at about 6-7 miles pretty consistently. Spoiler alert- not anymore.

Received: 1 tub of Cherry, tub of Orange, and individual packets of lemon lime.
Used this on regular long runs, long bikes, and bricks for 6 weeks leading to IM WC 70.3.

RESULTS: tried the Cherry first and thought it was going to be too heavy in flavor, etc. Man was I wrong. I LOVE THIS STUFF. Tasted great out of the gate cold, tasted great as it got warm on a 3 hr ride, and tasted just as good on the run that followed. PLUS IT STOPPED A STITCH IN ITS TRACKS rather than the stitch stopping me. The flavor was very good as stated and it actually seemed like I was getting calories when I drank it. It was mostly a mental thing b/c the orange and lemon are the same calorie wise but the cherry made me feel like I was "drinking" something. The orange and lemon lime are better than the old versions. They are not as sticky to mix or when they get on the outside of a bottle. The flavor is spot on and the lemon lime may be better on the run for some people, as it does have a lighter flavor than the other two. But all three worked at getting me the nutrition I needed, stopped stitches, and NEVER BOTHERED MY GUT.
Did not cause any issues with eating gels, blox, or Clif bars of any flavor on bike or run. Gu gels worked well with it too.

Gatorade EF is now my go to for all my training. It is a great blend of flavor, calories, and provided the energy I need for all my training. It gives me the feeling that I am actually taking in calories, mixes well with my other choices of nutrition and is very easy to mix/make.
I know that when this batch is completely gone I will find a way to get more, even if I have to order online. Used at WC last weekend with one cherry bottle on the bike, picked up one orange on ride (used 1/2), then took cups at miles 3, 7, 9, on the run. No issues, loved how it made me feel and it got me through to a very satisfying 516 time.
Thank you Gatorade for a great product and thank you ST for this opportunity.

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If those ingredients are listed in order of mass, I'd much rather see maltodextrin as first. It's nice that it's ahead of fructose, but having more sugar than malto is a gut bomb waiting to happen.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My review is late due to racing IMWI this past weekend.

48 yrs old, 12 yrs doing triathlons and running races. I normally average a few tris a year and a couple of half/full marathons a year. I have done IMWI the last two years. I find I don’t have stomach issues as much as certain flavors can cause me to not drink as much as I should due to the heaviness. I used the old Formula GE prior to receiving the product as well as last year during training. In prior years I have used a custom Infinite blend.

Received: 1 tub of Cherry, tub of Orange, and individual packets of lemon lime.
Used this on regular long runs and long bikes since the beginning of August. I let my wife try the lemon lime on her long runs, she is very sensitive to taste and strong salt taste.

Conclusions: Prior versions of the GE would get to me based on the strong/heavy taste, not with this version. The taste is very light and I can drink it all day long. I really liked the taste of the orange and the lemon lime. I tried the cherry a few times and it just wasn’t for me. The taste was light like the other flavors, I just didn’t fall in love with it. I never had any issues mixing it and it was easy to clean up, not as sticky as other products I’ve used. I never had a single stomach issue with this formula, both in training and racing IMWI where the new formula was served. I raced Muncie 70.3 with the old formula and it didn’t work as well for me, GI issues on the bike. I supplement with salt due to heavy sweating and gels, neither of these were bothered by the new formula.
I have had GI issues when I got to the run in previous Ironman races but this year there were none.
I will continue to train with the new formula as I prep for the Chicago marathon. In the past I trained with what was on course because I had to, this year I actually liked the product I was training with and will continue using it.
My wife is normally a gel and water user due to not liking the taste of most sports drinks. She tried the lemon lime on a few long runs and commented that she liked it. She felt better after her run than her normal water and gel routine, more energy, etc, another convert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gatorade endurance bottles that are served on IM bike courses are two servings correct? So 180 calories right? And I assume those bottle are 24 oz right?

blog
Quote Reply