Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What Are You Running In?
Quote | Reply
I don't have a shoe sponsor, so this is not a sponsor plug in any way. I've paid for most of these shoes, but not for all for a variety of reasons (some were given to me by the company; some by friends who are the same size; etc). But I like variety when it comes to running shoes. So here's my running shoe line-up right now.

NB Vazee Pace [current edition] (default daily trainer)
NB 1500 V3 [current edition] (default uptempo trainer)
NB 1400 V3 [this is an older model] (default speedwork)
Adidas Adios (racing)
Newton Boco AT (trail running)
Newton Distance 3S [older model] (daily trainer option)
Nike LunarSpider [older model] (speedwork option)

I always like to see what other people are running in. I had the NB Fresh Foam Zante and really liked that and will probably buy another pair. Also really intrigued by some of the new Nike's with the knitted uppers; I have a really trick limited edition Adidas shoe from London 2012 that has a knit upper and I would like to try some shoes with a knitted upper.

Generally, I like light shoes. For training (except specific pace work off the bike), I like 7-9oz with 4-6mm of offset. For racing, I like 10mm of offset.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saucony kinvara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Brooks Pureflow 5. It's 9.2oz with a 4mm drop. It seems to have the right balance of cushion and speed, and I can log a ton of miles, even while being slightly fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep coming back to NB Zante as my daily trainer. My only gripe is that the toe-off area of the outsole wears out too quickly - on every pair I've owned, within a couple hundred miles. Other than that I find them nearly perfect for everyday use.

I also like the Vazee Pace as a slightly more aggressive option for daily use, but with some recent back and hip issues I've been wearing them less and the Zantes more.

For tri's I use a pair of Inov-8 Tri-Xtreme which are now discontinued, but they're one of the few shoes I can wear comfortably without socks.

For open racing up to HM I'm still using a pair of Saucony A6 flats but those are almost ready to be replaced.

I'm also curious to try some of the knit Nike models. I have a pair of casual shoes called Allbirds that are wool and have essentially no structure to the forefoot - they are super comfortable and I keep thinking that a running shoe with a forefoot like that would be amazing. Nike Flyknit seems to be the closest thing currently available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went minimalist several months ago. Goal is to be able to run barefoot if I want to, but realistically I'll have footwear due to ground debris and hot/cold pavement.

I don't expect to go any faster, but I just like the changeup in running style (I'm bored of the motion control shoes) and also like the much cheaper and much lighter/packable minimalist footwear.

I'm running in these nowadays - they are WATER SHOES!

https://www.amazon.com/Aleader-Mens-Water-Shoes-Black/dp/B017YTKTLY/

The mesh holes in the sole make it problematic for trail running. I've mostly used it on a treadmill, so can't comment on longevity of the sole but I suspect not so good as its very soft. Still, I've put at least 100 treadmill miles on mine no problemo, no accelerated wear. I've run 6:00/mi with these and they work fine.

For trails, I've gone to these budget shoes which are annoyingly narrow but still work:

https://www.amazon.com/...efoot/dp/B06XPRT4QQ/

The toebox is really narrow on this shoe, and it has zero padding, so you will feel every pebble and cranny on the trails. Even the treadmill surface feels freaking hard with this shoe! But, the sole seems pretty durable.

Not sure what I'll race in for the future, but it will possibly be a cheap pair of water shoes, as there's quite a selection on Amazon on the cheap.

I also wear these minimalist type shoes differently from a tight-fit 5-finger shoe - I actually buy them to be preferably a little on the loose side and I wear them with socks to avoid stank. Seems to work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Guide 9 and Freedom ISO for training. I'll use the Freedoms for racing Half and Full Ironman. For speed work and Sprint and Olympic distance, I use the Saucony Fastwitch.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 13, 17 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike Free Flyknit 4.0 up to marathon distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kinvara 8s and Altra Instinct 4.0

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asics GT-1000 v4, and v5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main Shoe: Alta Escalante (also for HM and longer races)
Race/Interval Shoe: Merrill Bare Access
Recovery Runs: Altra Olympus
Trail Runs: Altra Superior

I also sometimes do short runs in the Altra Samson (barefoot type shoe, was discontinued). In the past year the following have been my main shoe at some point: Altra Instinct, Alta The One, Sketchers GoMeb. The next shoe I want to try is the Nike Zoom Fly.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Sep 13, 17 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try the NB Gobi for better wear resistance. I switched to this for daily trainer because I couldn't find my size Zante V2 at a reasonable price any more. Gobi is like a beefy Zante and Amazon has V1 for pretty cheap. Drop is 6mm, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I would like to try some shoes with a knitted upper.

Generally, I like light shoes. For training (except specific pace work off the bike), I like 7-9oz with 4-6mm of offset. For racing, I like 10mm of offset.

I really like the Altra Escalante which is 7.8 oz and has a real nice knit upper. But it's zero drop so it doesn't quite fit what you are looking for.

The Gomeb Speed 4 is 6.6 oz and has a 4mm drop. You can get a pair for $70 so it'd be fairly cheap to try them. The knit upper on them isn't quite as 'flexible' as that on the Altra Escalante or my Nike Free's (which is almost too flexible). I liked them and would wear them again.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Escalante is my race shoe and for shorter runs and one of Altra's maximalist shoes for my long runs (forget the name). For me, the wide toe box saved my running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony kinvara
Altra torin (wanna try em out)
Saucony xodus
Asics Fuji trainer
Pearl izumi
Hoka clifton
....looks like I like to choose haha. Depends on terrain,weather you name it.
Still got a nb minimus which I wanted to try out for running but only in daily use so far.

If I see this numbered up my low mileage seems ridiculous.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NB Vazee Pace - daily driver
NB 1400 Rev1 - racer.

When my last pair of racing shoes (1400 Rev2) died I had a hard time finding a new pair. The Rev3 was too narrow, and the Rev4 wouldn't even go on. I tried some other shoes in that end of the market (Mizunos, Nikes, Adidas if memory serves, and also the Kinvaras) but all of them were too narrow. I scoured the internet for 1400 Rev1/2s (preferably Rev1) and located the last two pairs Rev1s in my size in Texas. They're fluorescent yellow and should serve me for 3 years or so.

So what's up with these racing shoes all being so narrow?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra Escalante for shorter stuff and Altra Torin 2.5 (there's a 3.0 but I haven't tried it yet) for longer or slower runs. Recent convert and verrrrry happy with the outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Ghost. Cascadia on trails.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained for my last IM with the Saucony Zealot. A bit lighter than the freedoms and good cushioning. I think it's a very good shoe for daily training.
I did the race with them, but someone faster might want something a bit more firm for racing half and full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Mizuno Wave Riders for a long time (9-10 oz, 12-13 mm drop), but I've started using the Asics Gel Hyper Speed 7 (6 oz, 5 mm) for speedwork and open races. I need space in the toe box and both work well for me.

fellrnr has good reviews and comparisons: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the Adidas Boston but wouldn't wear them for much more than a 10k (I'm a crappy runner, but do like lighter shoes).

Really like, so far, the Nike Zoom Fly and will wear them in next half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Ride (daily trainer)
Saucony Guide (daily trainer when I'm feeling tired and easy brick runs)
New Balance 1500v3 (uptempo/speed work)
Adidas Boston Boost (used it for IMSTG and don't feel it fits anywhere in rotation - too heavy to race and too firm for daily)

Hoka Clayton v2 (mixed use but basically race shoe)

Pretty much all of these will be extinct when the new line of Hoka's come out in 2018. The Mach and Kavu will take over pretty much everything; however, I'll keep the 1500v3 in the lineup until they ruin the shoe in an update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road:
Hoka Huaka (mostly for training)
Hoka Clayton (mostly for racing)

Offroad:
Hoka Speed Instinct
Altra Lone Peak 2.5

SwimRun:
Trail-like - Icebug Accelritas OCR RB9X
Pavement - still working on it, but for very short races, an old pair of Nike Mayflys

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: What Are You Running In? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I keep coming back to NB Zante as my daily trainer. My only gripe is that the toe-off area of the outsole wears out too quickly - on every pair I've owned, within a couple hundred miles. Other than that I find them nearly perfect for everyday use.
Have you ever tried Shoe Goo? They sell it in phamacies, hardware stores and online. Just buy a tube of the clear Shoe Goo. Apply a relatively thin coat to the areas of your shoe that wear out fast. Let dry overnight. Run for a week or two or 3. Then reapply. You will dramatically extend the life of those shoes and you won't feel the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainers
Altra One 2.5 - for training days when my legs feel beat up
Nike Flex Fury 2 - go-to training shoe
Nike Air Triax TC+ - another go-to training shoe

Racing flats:
Adidas Adizero RC - marathon and long distance race flat
Nike Zoom Streak LT - shorter distance racing flat
Nike Luna racer - for races when my legs feel beat up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team has a sponsorship with Salming, so I thought I'd give them a shot. Having never heard of them, I found they are fairly new to the US, originally from Sweden. I was dealing with a bout of Morton's Neuroma, and thought a shoe switch would be a good 1st step. I also like lightweight shoes, and have not had good luck with really low drop, so went with the Enroute model. The various models are 4~6 drop, so reasonable, and very light. I love the construction, as the durability has been so much better than my Nikes or most brands. I've now got a large number of mostly trail miles on the original Enroute, and they show no signs of giving up yet. I have purchased another pair of the Enroute, the Distance model and the Race5. All have been fabulous, and I also like having a brand that is a bit out of the norm. Their philosophy on shoes is one that seems to work well for me.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next