Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ever had a Parasite?
Quote | Reply
As I spend more time reading about nutrition, metabolism etc one of the tangents I have come across deals with gut health and parasites. I have never thought I had a parasite but odds are I do right now and so do 85% of people, according to the interwebs.

Have you ever had a parasite and if so, how did you know? I generally feel tip top but have some gas after I eat cruciferous vegetables and fruit. Otherwise, I train 5 days a week, sleep well and eat a low carb, high protein, high fat diet.

If you have a parasite what did you do to get rid of it?

I have seen some say Apple Cider Vinegar helps, Diatomaceous earth etc. I am on a routine of intermittent fasting twice a week for my regular eating plan but maybe I should do a long two week or so fast to starve the little Mfer;s if indeed I have any.

Any experience with this??
Last edited by: ACE: Sep 13, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you calling parasites? Can you give examples, and I assume you are referring to harmful parasites rather than the good/normal bacteria, microbes and fauna that are gut-beneficial?

I make my own kombucha and drink a glass per day for the microbes and other supposed benefits. I don't know if it helps really, but I like the taste of it, so what the heck, down the hatch with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like an ex that never paid for dinner?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had giardiasis once. Several of us that drank creek water at a remote cabin got it. It took about 5 weeks to figure it out: 10 days for illness to set in, 3 days of intense discomfort, followed by weeks of just not being quite right.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) knocked it right out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was once lying in bed and I felt a bug of some sort crawling on my ear (my guess is an ant). Then it fell into my ear. At that point I could hear it moving around in my ear. I tried getting it out with q-tips and tried tweezers.

Never got it out. After a couple of hours it stopped moving.

It was not an enjoyable experience.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
What are you calling parasites? Can you give examples, and I assume you are referring to harmful parasites rather than the good/normal bacteria, microbes and fauna that are gut-beneficial?

I make my own kombucha and drink a glass per day for the microbes and other supposed benefits. I don't know if it helps really, but I like the taste of it, so what the heck, down the hatch with it.

hookworms, tapeworms, penworms and any other type of worming shit that shouldn't be in there.

Not meaning to say the good stuff we need in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
I had giardiasis once. Several of us that drank creek water at a remote cabin got it. It took about 5 weeks to figure it out: 10 days for illness to set in, 3 days of intense discomfort, followed by weeks of just not being quite right.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) knocked it right out.

I've had giardia once, maybe twice a long time ago when i was spending a lot of time outside in mountains.

Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I would always pay for dinner prior to her being an EX but once she obtained EX status she was not entitled to anymore free dinners, so never had that come up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess my concern is not about times I knew my stomach had an issue ( diarrhea, vomiting, just got back from donkey town in mexico and ate the worm) but more along the lines of just everyday life we all have worms in our body we don't know about. Reading about parasites and most sites will say we all them currently even with our ho hum non-Mexican vacationing lives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure 100% of people have parasitic organism on or in them. Most are not acutely pathogenic. I've lived in Mexico, India, and Malaysia for for almost 8 years. I'm pretty sure I've got a veritable menagerie of flagella covered 'friends' in my gut. But it doesn't seem to slow me down any. And I seem to be able to eat stuff that would make a Culcutta goat ill.

iron_mike should be the local resident expert on this - I believe he does research or work for the WHO in Switzerland or something akin to that.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been watching the Animal Planet show "Monsters Inside Me"? It may be making you paranoid.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
windywave wrote:

I would always pay for dinner prior to her being an EX but once she obtained EX status she was not entitled to anymore free dinners, so never had that come up.

Should have made it pink
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Have you been watching the Animal Planet show "Monsters Inside Me"? It may be making you paranoid.

Not lately but have watched that in the past and it does tend to freak me out. Just been reading about nutrition mainly and this plays into it. Gut health, disease etc...

The video of the worm crawling out of the kids leg after it was infested on a trip to south America was a terror movie of the highest order on Monsters Inside me.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I was once lying in bed and I felt a bug of some sort crawling on my ear (my guess is an ant). Then it fell into my ear. At that point I could hear it moving around in my ear. I tried getting it out with q-tips and tried tweezers.

Never got it out. After a couple of hours it stopped moving.

It was not an enjoyable experience.

Next time lay on yoir side with that ear up, then drip water in it. Whatever crawled in will crawl out.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hoping that there isn't ever a next time.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father-in-law, his wife, her son, my employee, sometimes my sister.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: oldandslow: Sep 13, 17 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a parajacks once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had a leech

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
As I spend more time reading about nutrition, metabolism etc one of the tangents I have come across deals with gut health and parasites. I have never thought I had a parasite but odds are I do right now and so do 85% of people, according to the interwebs.

Have you ever had a parasite and if so, how did you know? I generally feel tip top but have some gas after I eat cruciferous vegetables and fruit. Otherwise, I train 5 days a week, sleep well and eat a low carb, high protein, high fat diet.

If you have a parasite what did you do to get rid of it?

I have seen some say Apple Cider Vinegar helps, Diatomaceous earth etc. I am on a routine of intermittent fasting twice a week for my regular eating plan but maybe I should do a long two week or so fast to starve the little Mfer;s if indeed I have any.

Any experience with this??

Just about everyone has gas after eating cruciferous vegetables. https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/nutrition/battling-broccoli/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup!! It was an August from hell for me this past summer. Got caught up in a fucking cyclospora outbreak up here in Canada . Bunch of cluster outbreaks across the country and also apparently in the US linked to prodcuce!! Told public health official I never ever even buy produce from Mexico so?!?... who fucking knows where it came from. Linking it back to a source is like trying to find needle in hay stack. Had never even heard of it and neither had my doctor if you can believe it!! He's young though. And how did I know I was infected!!?? .. oh boy,lol. That's a story for another thread. Just suffice e to say ...you'll knooow real quick if you are ever so unlucky:) :) And of course the official dx requires submitting a stool sample. Nasty business:)
Strong 7-day med cycle wiped it out and I was back almost 100% soon after.
It was a bloody nightmare !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe. I'm approaching the 10 day mark post elk hunt where the water sources were really awful. My water smelled of elk stronger than my elk... No problems yet, still hoping I dodged that bullet.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Maybe. I'm approaching the 10 day mark post elk hunt where the water sources were really awful. My water smelled of elk stronger than my elk... No problems yet, still hoping I dodged that bullet.

Come on, man ... there's no need to take that risk. A Sawyer Mini filter weighs 51 grams, if that's too much a small eye-drop bottle filled with bleach weighs about 15 g.

Oh, and don't think for even a second that you got away with that back-door brag. I'm calling you out to revive the Hunters of the LR thread. I can contribute as well, hopefully even more so after the next trip (leaving in the morning). Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably have lyme disease too. And internet itis.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Ever had a Parasite? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
307trout wrote:

Come on, man ... there's no need to take that risk. A Sawyer Mini filter weighs 51 grams, if that's too much a small eye-drop bottle filled with bleach weighs about 15 g.

Oh, and don't think for even a second that you got away with that back-door brag. I'm calling you out to revive the Hunters of the LR thread. I can contribute as well, hopefully even more so after the next trip (leaving in the morning). Cheers!

I do filter every drop of water that I drink, and carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my pants pocket to try to keep my hands relatively "clean". Cattle had really trashed all the water sources though so I had to get water out of shallow and stagnant mud holes. Even after filtering it wasn't very confidence inspiring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next