Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called?
Quote | Reply
Another post got me thinking. What term will become accepted as a descriptor of the current generation of young people?

My father was part of the Greatest Generation - That name has stuck primarily thanks to Tom Brokaw's book
I am a Gen-X'er - That name has stuck primarily thanks to Douglas Coupland's book
My kid sister was Gen-Y - That name kinda stuck as an extension of Gen X.
The young interns at my work are Millennials - A term coined by some academic egg heads named William Strauss and Neil Howe.

What will the kids currently in public school be called when they enter the work-force? Gen Z? iGen?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Survivors?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: last tri in 83: Sep 13, 17 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poor Bastards?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Another post got me thinking. What term will become accepted as a descriptor of the current generation of young people?

Did you just assume their species? How triggering of you!

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunate to be born when they were. Future world is so f*cked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The on-demand generation.

I honestly don't know how you teach kids patience these days. Everything is on-demand. I am struggling with that with my son.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generation Y is same as Millennials

Next is generation Z also known as post-millennial, centennials, or homeland generation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard "iGen", nice Apple vibe, connects with "Me-Generation", trend toward pervasive connectivity and automation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the topic, I am going to pickup this book from the library tomorrow. Sounds interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Sociopaths-Boomers-Betrayed-America/dp/0316395781
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
What will the kids currently in public school be called when they enter the work-force? Gen Z? iGen?

Public school kids?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What age range are you referring to.

My son is almost 13 and I call him and his friends "the new rebellion".

They are all very skeptical of those who are most trying to control them.

They are plugged in and can detect bullshit pretty quick.

They are, without fail, rejecting the idea of "participation trophies" and "we don't keep score."

They will not be submissive.

They wear collared shirts and blazers and pink socks with narwhals on them.

They are The New Rebellion.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Sep 13, 17 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snow flakes?

The kids in college now, but not the younger ones. Middle school and below (in my experience) are head stomping (figuratively) the snow flakes.

The kids I know are ruthless individualists.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, score one for "Arrested Development" ;).
Last edited by: oldandslow: Sep 13, 17 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hee hee!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLOL!

Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching my grandkids grow up, and they are basically good kids, I get the same feeling.

I am torn between the queen song I want it all, and the oompa loompa song I want it now to reflect this new generation.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I honestly don't know how you teach kids patience these days. Everything is on-demand. I am struggling with that with my son.

Which is why I'm constantly surprised by my son wondering about this or that, or him and his friends arguing over stupid stuff, when they have a device at their finger tips that can answer the question in a matter of seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
My father was part of the Greatest Generation - That name has stuck primarily thanks to Tom Brokaw's book

I am a Gen-X'er - That name has stuck primarily thanks to Douglas Coupland's book
My kid sister was Gen-Y - That name kinda stuck as an extension of Gen X.
The young interns at my work are Millennials - A term coined by some academic egg heads named William Strauss and Neil Howe.

Since the turn of the 20th century, we've had:
  • Lost Generation: born 1883-1900. These are the kids who died in WWI, thus they were lost, especially in France and England
  • GI Generation: 1900-1924-ish. Kids who fought in WWII
  • Silent Generation: 25-45. Mostly too young for WWII, but fought in Korea
  • Boomers: 46-64
  • X: 65-85
  • Millennial: 85-2005
  • Strauss & Howe say the next ones will be from 05 to about 25 (but something might happen to change that, like if we start a world war with bad korea). Some people say Millennials only went from 85-96 and the next one was from 96-10 or 15. These people say that Millennials can remember 9-11, afters can't.

US HHS call them Post-Millennial, which makes perfect clinical sense. Strauss & Howe don't know what to call them, but their company are the ones who came up with homeland generation - due to the rah-rah 'Merica fuck ya spirit. MTV calls them founders, but fuck that.
Statistics Canada has a really screwed up list. They agree with the rest of the western world through boomers. Then there are "Boomer Busters" 66-71, the "Children of Boomers" from 72-92, then "Generation Z" 93-11 [cause their last census was 2011, the 2016 info hasn't come out yet]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generation Text
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I have a hard time with that and often wonder how much is it just being a kid vs how much is technology. Take television, they have access to cable, on demand and Netflix so something is always on when we let them watch. They typically want to fast forward through commercials. Sometimes they argue because one wants to see the commercial due to whatever toy or game is being advertised. The other just wants to get back to the show. Pausing a show for the bathroom is a whole other ballgame.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Snow flakes?

The kids in college now, but not the younger ones. Middle school and below (in my experience) are head stomping (figuratively) the snow flakes.

The kids I know are ruthless individualists.

I have a son who is 12 and two nephews who are in their late teens. All part of Gen Z they are very different then my Millennial nephew's and nieces. They are more conservative, less whiny, competitive, confident but not arrogant, more aware of their surroundings, more pragmatic (they don't go to school for shit degrees), more independent, rely on technology but are not huge users of social media. The newest generation will walk all over Millennials once they get into the workforce. Likely due to being raised by Gen X instead of the feel good, self esteem Boomers, there is no comparison and they are definitely not snowflakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The newest generation will walk all over Millennials once they get into the workforce. Likely due to being raised by Gen X

This.

Not sure about where you come from but where I grew up (gen x) we lived hard and fast. Most of us (almost all) have gone to prison, rehab or the graveyard. Sometimes all three.

We know what can go wrong but we also know how much we were lied to and we raise our kids accordingly.

The thing that strikes me most about my son and his friends is just much they are independent thinkers.

I'm very encouraged about their future.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe generational labeling, in general, is BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Generation Monikers - what are the current kids going to be called? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Just heard "iGen",

"i" names went out of style around a decade ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next