Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike crash
Quote | Reply
Is this with the 51speedSTOP aerobar? All joking aside, he seemed to get out quite fortunate. This the nightmare of every triathlete or tt rider

https://www.facebook.com/CyclingCrashes/videos/857944257714303/

[moderator's edit: the original thread title was "bike crash on Factor bike". i edited the title because it's clear to me - and i explain what seems to have caused this crash in a post below - that the bike brand Factor played no part in this crash. neither the bike brand, the frame, nor even the maker of the aerobar used on the frame. accordingly i deleted the name of the brand from the original post in the spirit of fairness to the brand. and, no, the brand did not ask me to do this.]

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 13, 17 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [tri-run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes. It looks like the bolts for the mono riser break, but the bottom half stays put on the basebar whereas the top half goes with the extensions? WTF happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51 Speed Shop just makes the extensions not the bar.

http://road.cc/...rs-are-snapped-clean

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Yikes. It looks like the bolts for the mono riser break, but the bottom half stays put on the basebar whereas the top half goes with the extensions? WTF happened?

went over a speed bump. a lot of weight leveraged in front of the steering axis. perfect storm.

there is engineering. and then there is the inputs that drive the engineering. the output is no good unless the input is good.

i don't know what happened with THIS bike (maybe there are facts we don't know). but when i look at the Felt thread, the Aduro recall, and so many other aerobars down through history, it ought to be obvious that leveraging weight in front of the steerer, and out the side of the extensions, creates engineering challenges.

that guy was damned lucky.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I should have asked, was "what broke?"

IIRC, looking top down at the mono riser there is only 1 bolt visible. What I was getting as was that the bottom riser block stayed put, while the rest appeared to stay with the extensions. Are there bolts going up into the mono riser AND down into it, holding it all together? Was the failure carbon, metal, or improper installation?

EDIT: and obviously I'm not actually looking to you to answer just curious as mono riser seems to be the trend and, well, I was never really that comfortable with 4 bolts and aluminum bits.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Sep 12, 17 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
that guy was damned lucky.

Yes it could have been worse, but I'd hardly call him lucky. I'm betting that frontal road rash is going to be brutal for a few weeks.

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of pedestal leads to lots of torque.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
51 Speed Shop just makes the extensions not the bar.

http://road.cc/...rs-are-snapped-clean

I was just kiddin' . I know that Matt would not even consider bringing a product on the market that could fail like this. We cannot see clearly what exactly happens other then he seems to pull on the bars at the speed bump and that counterforce seem to snap something at the base bar / stem. It looks like the wole extensions unit including the pads came loose.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the most important takeaway from that video... GLOVES!
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought 51 Speedshop were behind at least the design of the monoblock bar system and wete going to release it as an aftermarket product some time in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRRCmCngpxO/

Despite this (hopefully) blip I am looking forward to seeing the after market product.
Last edited by: boing: Sep 13, 17 2:18
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
Are you serious?

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
commendatore wrote:
Are you serious?

let's talk about the MOST important takeaway. i did some digging on this, saw a variety of emails and correspondences. what appears to have happened from what i have seen is:

1. the rider wanted more armrest height.
2. a junior, temporary, replacement, mechanic gave into the rider's wishes.
3. this meant adding pedestals above the stated limit (60mm), and from what i read not just more than 60mm, but up to 75mm.
4. and most importantly, without changing the bolts!

now, just spitball with me here for a minute. in the image above i'm showing you bolt sets and pedestals, from another manufacturer of bars. but this looks pretty much like what i get from everybody: profile design, 3T, zipp. you get pedestals and you get bolt sets and these bolt sets here are in 5mm length increments. that means EVERY pedestal config comes with its OWN bolt length. you add 5mm of pedestal, you use this DIFFERENT bolt length that's 5mm longer.

so what we have hear is that the bars were pedestaled to their max, 60mm, and the company did not i presume provide ANY bolts longer than those needed for that max, because that was their max. the wrench must have (i presume) broken into a new pack of pedestals, dug out a 10mm and a 5mm, put them in, but used the bolts that were 3 sizes too short, with 15mm less thread engagement than the designer intended (and on a pedestal height beyond the manufacturer's spec).

so what did anybody think was going to happen when that rider went over that speed bump?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
commendatore wrote:
Are you serious?

let's talk about the MOST important takeaway. i did some digging on this, saw a variety of emails and correspondences. what appears to have happened from what i have seen is:

3. this meant adding pedestals above the stated limit (60mm), and from what i read not just more than 60mm, but up to 75mm.

Do you know that this was the case?

Or are you just making assumptions. It could also be that the bolt(s) just snapped, right?
Quote Reply
Re: bike crash on Factor bike [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Slowman wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
commendatore wrote:
Are you serious?

Do you know that this was the case?

Or are you just making assumptions. It could also be that the bolt(s) just snapped, right?

fair question. where i've made assumptions i've stated them as assumptions. i've heard from various parties, on various sides of this, who are involved in 3 different sides of this, and they all agree to the basic facts as i've laid them out.

now, maybe everybody has decided to come together and lie. but that is not where i'm placing my wager. if you look at the images themselves - and i have - the pedestaling appears to be well in excess of 60mm, and i know what the manufacturer's spec is, and i don't know why the manufacturer would make a bolt for a 75mm pedestal of the manufacturer doesn't allow pedestaling above 60mm.

it's possible the bolts snapped. it's possible none of this would've happened if the rider hadn't been vaccinated as a child. after my own investigation and talking to parties around the world and on 3 continents this is what i've come up with. occam's razor. process this information as you will.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply