Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months?
Quote | Reply
Guy at work challenged me to be able to touch the rim for a significant wager, I would have two months to do it. I am 5'10" 165lbs, in decent shape, early 50s. I can touch 9' today.
What do you think can it be done?
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe with these.

otherwise, no....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you white?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Guy at work challenged me to be able to touch the rim for a significant wager, I would have two months to do it. I am 5'10" 165lbs, in decent shape, early 50s. I can touch 9' today.

That sounds like a very large gain. Probably the most important factor is how trained are you right now? If you're essentially untrained for jumping I'd say maybe even so a foot sounds like a lot.

Probably research studies out there that would give you an idea if it is possible and what to do to increase your vertical jump.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely untrained in jumping, I have never played basketball, I run, bike and lift weights, recently did IMMT middle of the pack finish.
I am hoping it is possible, I love challenges.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Are you white?

And would you like to try some human growth hormone? ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Completely untrained in jumping, I have never played basketball, I run, bike and lift weights, recently did IMMT middle of the pack finish.

Get yourself to Google then or Pubmed and start looking. I'd say there is a chance with plyometrics and the like. I'd bet a high jumper coach could get you a good ways there just on technique alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'10, in your 50's.

no.

not even if you weren't white.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
5'10, in your 50's.

no.

Are you trying to say White Men Can't Jump? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
5'10, in your 50's.

no.

I think he's saying Old Men Can't Jump.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
5'10, in your 50's.

no.

I think he's saying Old Men Can't Jump.

this....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Lol. Originally, I was thinking about 1 inch. Yeah, one inch, no problem. 1 foot? Forget it.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

Lol. Originally, I was thinking about 1 inch. Yeah, one inch, no problem. 1 foot? Forget it.

Being serious for a moment, I completely agree. 5'10", early 50s, and able to touch 9 feet? And wanting an additional 12 inches of vertical leap in two months? Ummmmmm...

Last edited by: big kahuna: Sep 13, 17 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:

There's something called the Jump Manual by Jacob Hiller, seeing claims of increases in vertical jump of 20 inches in a short period of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a pair of Hoka's, that gets you 1/4 of the way there, maybe you have some long asleep white fibers in there, worth a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really difficult. If you are presently WAY sedentary and packing ~20lbs of fat, you might have a chance. Crash course on explosive power coupled with major weight loss, with optimizing technique. Sounds like you are in good shape and pretty light, so your only big improvements will come via technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:

As a former high jumper who is white and was 5'11" in college, who cleared 6' 8 3/4", who could dunk a volleyball (couldn't palm a basketball), and is now 59 years old, I say not a chance. Vertical leap is a young man's game.

For context: look at the US records for masters in the high jump, and note the decline (the 50-54 record is 4" less than the 55-59 record, by the same guy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_records_in_masters_athletics#Men.27s_High_jump

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Sep 13, 17 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

There's something called the Jump Manual by Jacob Hiller, seeing claims of increases in vertical jump of 20 inches in a short period of time.

Not by someone in his 50s. Actually, I call BS on that for anyone other than a sedentary person with tons of innate talent.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
All exercises that would likely decrease your vertical as opposed to increasing it, unless your weight training was specifically devoted to jump training (which it isn't). No freakin' way. MAYBE 2-4", but that's assuming you don't get injured moving to a fast-twitch focus.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

Not by someone in his 50s. Actually, I call BS on that for anyone other than a sedentary person with tons of innate talent.

Just passing on what I found.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

All exercises that would likely decrease your vertical as opposed to increasing it, unless your weight training was specifically devoted to jump training (which it isn't). No freakin' way. MAYBE 2-4", but that's assuming you don't get injured moving to a fast-twitch focus.
I put better odds on getting injured on a landing than being able to touch the rim in 2 months.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, this thread got me wondering. I just checked. Jumped 8' 9" and improved it to ~9' over 5 jumps.

Info: I'm 5' 6", mid 50's, really out of shape (high school sprinter/long jumper), 25 lbs over my normal race weight. Can I hit 9' 6" in a month?
Last edited by: oldandslow: Sep 13, 17 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Okay, this thread got me wondering. I just checked. Jumped 8' 9" and improved it to ~9' over 5 jumps.

It's called warming up.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Can I increase my vertical leap 1' in two months? [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
MacCTD wrote:

I had the same thought. If he really wants to win the bet he needs to stop all that endurance stuff right away, induce a shift toward fast fibers by minimizing activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, I only added it to show that I wasn't lowballing the baseline ;).
Quote Reply

Prev Next