Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike mechanics: need help swapping out crankset on specialized shiv
Quote | Reply
As the post says, I need some help swapping out the praxis alda 2 crankset for an ultegra 6800 11 speed. My local bike shop is having a hard time fitting the ultegra in the bottom bracket. step by step instructions would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: bike mechanics: need help swapping out crankset on specialized shiv [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your bike shop realize that the Praxis crankset has a larger axle than the Ultegra?
Quote Reply
Re: bike mechanics: need help swapping out crankset on specialized shiv [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 95% sure the Praxis is a 30mm axle whereas the Shimano is 24mm. Honestly, the mechanic not figuring this out on their own would cause me to lose faith in him/her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll need to remove the old crankset AND bottom bracket, and get a Shimano bottom bracket. I HIGHLY recommend the Wheels Manufacturing angular contact bottom brackets that thread together. Cost is around $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your local bike shop has never seen a Shiv, and they probably don't work on tri superbikes that often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, you'll need a different bottom bracket, the Praxis M30 (I believe is the name) needs a special tool for removal, 2 to be specific as it's a thread-together bottom bracket.

Once you remove the bottom bracket, depending on whether your frame is a pressfit30 or BB30, you'll need to get a 24mm Shimano bottom bracket for your frame.
Quote Reply
Re: bike mechanics: need help swapping out crankset on specialized shiv [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Your local bike shop has never seen a Shiv, and they probably don't work on tri superbikes that often.

That shouldn't matter. A tri bike still has the same makeup as other bike types (road, mtb, cruiser). 2 Wheels, a drivetrain and a mess that is the custom BB standards everybody and their mom decides they need to throw in their hat in the ring.

I'd be also be worried with a shop/mechanic that is struggling with this (especially in the smartphone with google at your fingertips age).
Quote Reply
Re: bike mechanics: need help swapping out crankset on specialized shiv [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
They'll need to remove the old crankset AND bottom bracket, and get a Shimano bottom bracket. I HIGHLY recommend the Wheels Manufacturing angular contact bottom brackets that thread together. Cost is around $100.

I will second this.

The Press in shims work(BB30 to Shimano 24), but not as well as an excellent BB like that Wheels MFG.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply