Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season?
Quote | Reply
I've done triathlons off and on for the last couple years (oly/sprint) on about 5-7 hrs a week, but plan to do my first 70.3 next year and want to get into a good year-round routine...my main goal for the off season is to improve my swim with the help of a coach and 3-4 swims a week. Besides that I don't have any real plan on how to structure my run/bike, maybe some trainerroad and runs sprinkled in?
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [kittenmittons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beginning on october 22 slowtwitch will switch over to stationary mode. we'll have you covered. also, we'll switch to winter swim training mode as well, geared to get you your swim improvement. so you have just over a month to wait.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I hate stationary mode. I'd rather be drenched, cold, and miserable with frostbite.
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
right. me too. but here are some stats, from slowtwitchers:

48 percent are ardent indoor riders and they break down this way:
2 percent will ride less in the future;
13 percent will ride even more in the future;
The rest will retain their current level of ardency.

40 percent are occasional indoor riders and they break down this way:
2 percent will ride less in the future;
19 percent will ride even more in the future;
The rest will retain their current level of ardency.

13 percent of our readers don’t ride stationary at all and that 14 breaks down this way:
4 percent say they’re start riding stationary;
9 percent say they don’t intend to ride stationary.

Altogether:

88 percent of slowtwitchers ride stationary.
92 percent of slowtwitchers expect to ride stationary.
62 percent say they’ll continue their riding habits.
4 percent say they’ll ride less in the future.
34 percent say they’ll ride more in the future.

so on october 22 we are introducing a number of features that kick off stationary training season. nothing we now do is going to be diminished, we're just adding a lot of links and prompts and whatnot to prepare you for stationary training. i'm like you. i'd rather hit myself on the head with a ball peen hammer. but the math is the math, and maybe stationary training has gotten to the point now where it's a more compelling exercise, even for you and me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 13, 17 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in that 4% who intends to start. I always hated riding the stationary, but if I don't get my ass on it, then I won't be riding at all. Our winter is way too long,

I don't like watching TV, for the most part, which makes the trainer extremely boring. But, I think if I get a Zwift and/or Trainerroad subscription along with a speed cadence sensor, I can use that. I've had a Fluid 2 trainer for years, just got it dusted off and got in a couple of sessions so far.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [kittenmittons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kittenmittons wrote:
I've done triathlons off and on for the last couple years (oly/sprint) on about 5-7 hrs a week, but plan to do my first 70.3 next year and want to get into a good year-round routine...my main goal for the off season is to improve my swim with the help of a coach and 3-4 swims a week. Besides that I don't have any real plan on how to structure my run/bike, maybe some trainerroad and runs sprinkled in?

I'd say do something that is fun and leaves some motivation for spring when you really need to start training for triathlon. I, for example, play mainly ice-hockey in October-March time frame and am relatively "successful" in AG races (if that is what you're looking for).

So I dont think it really matters that much what you do over the winter, as long as you do consistently sports.
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who used both, I can only tolerate Zwift for racing (it's roughly a 60' threshold training). For structural training, I prefer trainerroad with netflix in the backgroud, but with something that I don't mind zooming out, since on the intervals I'm just focused on finishing them, can't focus on the screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off season is for experimenting.

Put together a few sport specific training blocks and try to gain some fitness then hang on to it while switching things up.

My swim stinks, so I stay in the pool 4x per week. This year I am ramping up the volume too. From 7,000 ypw to 12,000 ypw to see what happens.

I typically go run focused through end of the year. Then I will go bike focused early in the new year.

YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off Season, what is an off season? Last races end of October.. First race end of Jan. Again, what is an off season?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the spirit

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not all of us live in California.

Tri season here goes from June - August. Du season is on the shoulders of that season (May and October)

Swim season is Sep-May.

There is something to do year round, but that's not what "season" means. Season is sport-specific, in my mind anyway.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lsousa wrote:
As someone who used both, I can only tolerate Zwift for racing (it's roughly a 60' threshold training). For structural training, I prefer trainerroad with netflix in the backgroud, but with something that I don't mind zooming out, since on the intervals I'm just focused on finishing them, can't focus on the screen.

+1

Offseason is for building FTP. Jump on TrainerRoad and get busy.

https://www.trainerroad.com/...138-sufferfest-build

Thank me later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Off Season, what is an off season? Last races end of October.. First race end of Jan. Again, what is an off season?

Maybe you'd be less of an arrogant dick if you took an off-season?? Overtraining can definitely impact your mental state.

Glad to see you changed your sig line so it was spelled correctly...
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, for one, prefer a good podcast or audible book while I do a longer ride.

Also, there is something to be said for nothing but the sound of a fan and listening to your own breathing while doing a longer bike. I have been able to push much harder in these sessions.

Lastly, try riding your bike on the trainer with earplugs in. You can hear your breathing and heartbeat very well when you do this. You can almost forget about watching the bike computer once your a tuned in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike comes back pretty quickly. Drop the bike and just swim and run every day. Pick up the bike in the spring and it will come back. Back to your previous FTP that is. If you want to raise FTP then you'll need to ride and suffer regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'd rather hit myself on the head with a ball peen hammer. but the math is the math, and maybe stationary training has gotten to the point now where it's a more compelling exercise, even for you and me.

Hey, I recently ACTUALLY hit myself in the face with an angle grinder (while it was running). Even needed surgery to put all the parts back where they are supposed to be.

I don't know about "compelling". But, yeah---occasionally necessary? eh, maybe.

I get the stats. There wouldn't be all these fancy ant-FEC trainers, erg modes, Zwift, trainerroad, etc...if there wasn't a market.

Someone posted something about a 4+ hour trainer ride recently. OMFG---I'd rather hit myself in the face with an angle grinder...again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay....besides complaining about indoor trainers....

Tell us a little more about yourself...SBR splits in races maybe, or recent tests (swim: 400/1000yTT, bike FTP, run 5k/10k)? Something to help discern where your strengths and weaknesses are. The offseason is usually a good time to focus on a weakness or two. Pick a focus, drop the alternates to 1 or 2x per week for a couple months. Its almost proverbial now: become a swimmer, cyclist, or runner. Do that for a while. Get good at it.

You mention getting into a routine. Establishing a workable weekly structure that fits with your life is good. Especially if you are going to step up to the 70.3 level, where more than 5-7 hours will likely be necessary per week. I find that 5-7 hpw kinda just works into life pretty easy. 10-12 hpw takes a little more thought, and 12-15 takes real planning and coordination with family, work, and life in general. In other words, less than an hour per day is pretty easy. More than an hour per day, still not bad. Approaching or exceeding 2 hrs per day, needs to be thought through.

So, establishing a weekly structure around the needed FREQUENCY (not volume), might be a good place to start. 12+ hpw usually requires 2-a-day scheduling. Not necessarily every day, several for most peoples lives.

Just some random thoughts...
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Not all of us live in California.

Tri season here goes from June - August. Du season is on the shoulders of that season (May and October)

Swim season is Sep-May.

There is something to do year round, but that's not what "season" means. Season is sport-specific, in my mind anyway.

Yep, I am very lucky.

But, my season does not include my run races pushing the kids in the strollers. Those are about to start.

Bottom line the top folks I compete against train all year long. So if I am sitting on my butt, I have proved I am not serious about getting better, or at my age,
trying not to drop to much each year.

I guess I wussed out this morning, only did 2.5 hours. I passed on my 30 minute treadmill run. I am getting old and lazy.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last oly was 2:40 on about 4-5 hpw, which I was happy with given the amount of training I did(nt). I'm about a 1:50/100 for 1000 TT, which is an improvement for me from past years. I don't have a power meter and plan to upgrade to dedicated tri-bike this winter, but I'm usually middle to front of the pack for my bike at the hilly local races (19-20 mph). Best stand alone half marathon is 1:38, the run is probably my strongest discipline but obviously nothing special.

You're right about 10-12 hpw taking a lot more thought. I'm currently experimenting with some early morning workouts and a few 2-a-days, just to see if I can hit that number. As with most hobbyist triathletes I have a pretty full schedule (fairly intense job, family, delicious beer :), ect), so finding some kind balance will also be a goal over the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if possible, x-c ski.. excellent training and it's outside..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What percent of Slowtwitchers are in the southern hemisphere or in hot places where summer is indoor season and winter is for outdoors?!

(I'm guessing pretty low percent, but genuinely interested if you have the stats handy)
Quote Reply
Re: New(ish) to tri, what should I do in the off season? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
What percent of Slowtwitchers are in the southern hemisphere or in hot places where summer is indoor season and winter is for outdoors?!

(I'm guessing pretty low percent, but genuinely interested if you have the stats handy)

yes i have it, tho not at the ready. we may never take stationary training and racing prompts - and whatever other activations we engage in - off once it's on.

there is what i want - all of you riding outdoor all the time, in the fresh clean mountain air on open roads free of traffic - and there is what is, which is most of you do at least a good part of your riding indoor all year round. slowtwitch needs to accommodate you, if this is you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best investment I ever made for indoor riding is a Kindle.
Quote Reply