Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg?
Quote | Reply
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.61c042f948ac

Following Feinstein's logic, Ginsberg should not be on the court because she is Jewish. Certainly Ginsberg's "dogma" effects the way she votes. I guess that the senator missed the part that 'Murica is built upon Christian-Judeo ethics and values.
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were following Feinstein's logic, you certainly wouldn't argue that the issue is the same with Ginsburg (the actual name of the SC Judge, just as an FYI).
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:

Following Feinstein's logic, Ginsberg should not be on the court because she is Jewish. Certainly Ginsberg's "dogma" effects the way she votes. I guess that the senator missed the part that 'Murica is built upon Christian-Judeo ethics and values.

You know its possible to have religious beliefs without basing legislation on your beliefs, dont you?

And no, this nation was not built on judeo-christian values.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

You know its possible to have religious beliefs without basing legislation on your beliefs, dont you?

Pretty sure that was his point. May I suggest you call Di Fi and explain to her that a judge can have religious beliefs and not base your interpretation of the law on those beliefs (see linked article).
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
veganerd wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

Pretty sure that was his point. May I suggest you call Di Fi and explain to her that a judge can have religious beliefs and not base your interpretation of the law on those beliefs (lsee linked article).

Aaaand now we are to francois' point....

Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
veganerd wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

Pretty sure that was his point. May I suggest you call Di Fi and explain to her that a judge can have religious beliefs and not base your interpretation of the law on those beliefs (lsee linked article).

Yeah, I get the typo.

If this country was not built on Judeo-Christian values, then what values on which this country was built?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US was built on 'common sense values'. Be kind, be generous, work hard, take care of your family etc.
The notion of Judeo-Christian ethics stems from the work of George Orwell in the late 30s. He's not American, and that was about 160yrs after the independence.
It still took 10 years or so to finalize a common ground between both sets of moral values, which anyway, are far from being shared only by Jews and Christians.
Last edited by: Francois: Sep 12, 17 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
veganerd wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
veganerd wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

Yeah, I get the typo.

If this country was not built on Judeo-Christian values, then what values on which this country was built?

Francois' point wasnt the typo.

May i refer you to the treaty of tripoli?

https://www.google.com/...dyUdvuoVqHbu06vBTD_Q

'The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.

That was signed by the president and unanimously ratified by the senate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is RBG known for speaking publicly about her religion? Honest question - just trying to establish if there's an equivalence in the public conduct of RGB and Barrett.
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side note. I've been monitoring Breibart a little bit just to monitor how hard they're going to go after Kusher, McMaster, et al.

But a few times on that site I've read the phrase "Judeo-Christian Liberal West" Always in a pejorative sense.

Am I way out of line to think that sounds like code for "Hollywood Jews?" Or do religious liberals on the the West Coast have a genuinely different flavor of Judeo-Christian values?
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The US was built on 'common sense values'. Be kind, be generous, work hard, take care of your family etc.
The notion of Judeo-Christian ethics stems from the work of George Orwell in the late 30s. He's not American, and that was about 160yrs after the independence.
It still took 10 years or so to finalize a common ground between both sets of moral values, which anyway, are far from being shared only by Jews and Christians.

You mean values like those expressed in the bible?
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Is RBG known for speaking publicly about her religion? Honest question - just trying to establish if there's an equivalence in the public conduct of RGB and Barrett.

No, and that was what francois was getting at.

Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's like arguing that the letter a is a judeo-christian letter because it's in the bible...yes they are in the bible. no they aren't the only religions or belief systems with these values.
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Francois wrote:

You mean values like those expressed in the bible?

Just because something is expressed in a book does not mean the idea originated in the book.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

You must have skipped reading the Declaration of Independence and Constitution unless the Creator and Lord references are scrivener error
Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Francois wrote:

You must have skipped reading the Declaration of Independence and Constitution unless the Creator and Lord references are scrivener error

Those vague references refer to which god?

You must have skipped reading the treaty of tripoli too..

Quote Reply
Re: Senator Feinstein, why did you vote for Ruth Bader Ginseberg? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now let's get back to Feinstein being intellectually stupid and embarrassing herself.

1) If one reads the professors comments it is hard to draw the conclusion Feinstein does

2) Arguendo her beliefs somehow influence her decisions how does that differ from Sotomayer?

3) A hardcore dogmatic Catholic fits much better with the Democrats than the GOP except on abortion and gay rights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Francois wrote:

The God of Abraham. Don't be intentionally obtuse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must have missed 'their' in front of creator...probably on purpose, to fit your usual rhetoric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't bother with windy...it's going to be the usual line of discussion. He was there. He saw what happened and he knows he's right. Doesn't matter that many times the Founding Fathers explicitly mentioned the separation of the State and the Church, it's still judeo-christian...I should have known better before commenting on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
You must have missed 'their' in front of creator...probably on purpose, to fit your usual rhetoric.

Um .... Um .... Their refers to all men and Creator is capitalized .... Um... I don't know what else to say but it is an obvious reference to God.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Don't bother with windy...it's going to be the usual line of discussion. He was there. He saw what happened and he knows he's right. Doesn't matter that many times the Founding Fathers explicitly mentioned the separation of the State and the Church, it's still judeo-christian...I should have known better before commenting on this thread.

There is no explicit mention of a separation of Church and State, jsut that there shall be no establishment of a State religion. Big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Francois wrote:

The God of Abraham. Don't be intentionally obtuse.

Speaking of being intentionally obtuse... how does this fit with your position?

John adams, you may have heard of him...founding father, first vice president, second president, signed a document that said this..

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

But what the hell would he know?!? Obviously you know better ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Francois wrote:

There is no explicit mention of a separation of Church and State, jsut that there shall be no establishment of a State religion. Big difference.

Danbury letters written by thomas jefferson, founding father, explicitly mentions seperation of church and state.

Also article 6 of the constitution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
Francois wrote:

Danbury letters written by thomas jefferson, founding father, explicitly mentions seperation of church and state.

Also article 6 of the constitution.

Article 6 supports my position if you're referring to the test.

Danbury contextually supports my position as well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next