Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
sphere home makeover, kitchen edition
Quote | Reply
Didn't lift a finger to make it happen, and it feels so good.

Before:

Took out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, removed the pantry, moved the fridge, and converted the existing footprint to a breakfast bar layout:

A few odds and ends to tie up, but largely finished. Bottom cabinets are getting a grayish navy blue paint job, which will hopefully happen during our vacation next month. The removed wall was load bearing; they managed to tuck the supporting structures into the walls and ceiling without a trace. Pretty impressive.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Sep 11, 17 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much nicer without the wall. I'm going through some home renovation right now too. Curious - how much did it cost you and how long did they take?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We called the top four local kitchen remodelers in the area and got estimates from each. They were equally recommended, but the company chose came in at 75% of the other bids. The final tally, not including appliances, was ~$31k.

In actual work days, probably 4 weeks, but they managed to stretch it to over six.

Last edited by: sphere: Sep 11, 17 15:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the under cabinet lighting. Enjoy the space!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you get for counter tops?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Did you debate whether you had enough room for an island. It looks like you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Didn't lift a finger to make it happen, and it feels so good.

Before:

Took out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, removed the pantry, moved the fridge, and converted the existing footprint to a breakfast bar layout:

A few odds and ends to tie up, but largely finished. Bottom cabinets are getting a grayish navy blue paint job, which will hopefully happen during our vacation next month. The removed wall was load bearing; they managed to tuck the supporting structures into the walls and ceiling without a trace. Pretty impressive.

I'll have a single scoop of Pralines and Cream on an old fashion cone...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quartz. Wife wanted white, I wasn't big on it. Now we have bright white cabinets and off-white countet top and backsplash. Should be less obvious when the dark blue treatment happens.

Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're on a slab so an island wouldn't have included the stove, so it would have been impractical. Island with pass through on both sides would be ideal

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jealous. My kitchen is functional and has more counter space than the old house. Still, I wish we found a house with an updated kitchen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks really sharp! Given your past postings about remodels as expecting another disaster Reno thread... glad this one worked out. It really does look good.

Is that a down draft cook top? If not, are you concerned about lack of ventilation above the stove?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta post a picture AFTER the kids get into it.
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Is that a down draft cook top? If not, are you concerned about lack of ventilation above the stove?
+1. Pop up vent?
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
+1. Pop up vent?

It doesn't look like it but only briefly looked at the picture.

I did a kitchen Reno last year that had a miele induction cook top with pop up vent. It was slick, but an incredible pain in the ass to install, and trouble shoot. I'm pretty sure it cost more then the truck I was driving. The miele fridge took 3 technicians 6 hours to install.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stove electric or did you go with gas? Looked like and old and maybe new are electric.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

+1. Pop up vent?

It doesn't look like it but only briefly looked at the picture.

I did a kitchen Reno last year that had a miele induction cook top with pop up vent. It was slick, but an incredible pain in the ass to install, and trouble shoot. I'm pretty sure it cost more then the truck I was driving. The miele fridge took 3 technicians 6 hours to install.

I don't know about the miele ones, but all the cheaper ones break too. Then your out a whole range!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extra points for getting rid of a kid in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both electric. Ventilation system consists of open windows as necessary. One of the concessions we had to make to maximize the limited space and house features.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME I think you're going to dislike the lack of ventilation over time. We don't have proper ventilation for ours and it's surprising how disgusting things can get.
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We haven't had proper ventilation in the seven years we've been in this house. But then we also didn't have a white ceiling above. I guess we'll see.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gutting our kitchen and taking down a wall to extend into another room is toward the top of our project list. I can't wait to get rid of electric range. Do you like electric or too much to add gas ? I can't make the transition to cooking with electric, always have had a gas range. Getting better with it but don't really like it.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess we might as well rename Slowtwitch to Pinterest now.

nice reno though.
Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer gas but it wasn't really practical with the layout and not having a basement to run the lines cleanly.

Electric sucks, but it works.

Quote Reply
Re: sphere home makeover, kitchen edition [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Guess we might as well rename Slowtwitch to Pinterest now.

nice reno though.

Yep. That's where we found the design we wanted to build on. The lower cabinets are getting a similar treatment if the painter can reproduce a durable finish on a sample door.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure my wife has that exact photo pinned for our kitchen. We are doing ours maybe in 2-3 years. Backyard and deck this coming spring, kitchen a year or so after that, master ensuite/walk in closet the year after. Will have this house just about perfect... Just in time to sell it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next