Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived
Quote | Reply
Wow. If you have stood at that dam and seen the power there and the crazy water I doubt you would jump in. Lucky bastard.

https://www.theguardian.com/...r-dam-swim?CMP=fb_gu

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the last 10 years, 275 people have died at the site and no one had previously survived swimming across its breadth.

275 fatalities? What?!
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know right! It's crazy...like a siren song drawing people in. It is some scary as F*$& water.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
In the last 10 years, 275 people have died at the site and no one had previously survived swimming across its breadth.

275 fatalities? What?!

I would think most if not all of those are suicides. Famous places become popular suicide sites. I visited there in 2010 and I don't remember seeing any signs about suicide prevention. I remember somewhere recently where they had signs offering help if you were distressed, numbers to call, etc. Cliffs of Mohr had that in Ireland, but I think I have seen something similar in US, but I can't remember the venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an absolute ass clown.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A drunk Brit screaming "Leeroy Jenkins!" as he takes the plunge would have been awesome!

Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

I would think most if not all of those are suicides. Famous places become popular suicide sites. I visited there in 2010 and I don't remember seeing any signs about suicide prevention. I remember somewhere recently where they had signs offering help if you were distressed, numbers to call, etc. Cliffs of Mohr had that in Ireland, but I think I have seen something similar in US, but I can't remember the venue.

Golden gate bridge in SF has a help phone line and signs on either end of the bridge.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

I'm calling BS on the numbers. If 2 people a month were jumping we'd all know about it.

See e.g. http://www.hooverdamnotes.com/...er-dam-suicides.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I found a better article with pictures!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...r-Dam-reservoir.html
Last edited by: tri_kid: Sep 11, 17 20:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa.

TAKE IT TO THE TRI FORUM

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope...they try to keep it quiet. A friend works for the Charleston FD and he says they pull someone out of the water every 3 or 4 days that jump off the newer bridge. They just try and keep the news to a minimum so others won't get the idea. Bad for a cities reputation.
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDavis wrote:
Nope...they try to keep it quiet. A friend works for the Charleston FD and he says they pull someone out of the water every 3 or 4 days that jump off the newer bridge. They just try and keep the news to a minimum so others won't get the idea. Bad for a cities reputation.

Odd, doesn't seem to bother the media or politicians when it suits them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

My Dad worked at Hoover for 15+ years and from the stories he would tell, I believe the number is much higher than 275. And yes, most are suicides. The nasty part is, from the top the dam looks more or less straight down when actually there's a curvature to make it wider at the base. The jumpers end up skipping down the face and exploding when they hit the wall at the bottom.

On the lighter side - I was able to get behind the scenes tours of the dam. The bottom floor looks like an empty Game of Thrones dungeon with small compartments and dim lighting but each compartment has a brightly colored life ring. Like you're going to be able to float out of that maze. And the walls seep water. Very comforting. Also got to stand inside one of the penstocks which are massive. A friend designed a scaffolding system for maintaining the tubes. The whole place is a marvel. Just needs more water behind it.
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

My Dad worked at Hoover for 15+ years and from the stories he would tell,

You would know this. While on a tour of the dam, someone asked how any people were buried in the cement during the construction . The tour guide answered "none" and that was a tall tale.

What say you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

I'm calling BS on the numbers. If 2 people a month were jumping we'd all know about it.

How would we know about it if they don't report it.

The Toronto Subway line has shitloads of suicides. They never report on them. Sometimes you're riding the subway and you hear about an "injury at track level". That's code for suicide.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iO4 wrote:
Wow. If you have stood at that dam and seen the power there and the crazy water I doubt you would jump in. Lucky bastard.

https://www.theguardian.com/...r-dam-swim?CMP=fb_gu

Not luck. Skill.

Current scorecard:

Great Britain: 1
Rest of the World: -275
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
wild hare wrote:
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

My Dad worked at Hoover for 15+ years and from the stories he would tell,

You would know this. While on a tour of the dam, someone asked how any people were buried in the cement during the construction . The tour guide answered "none" and that was a tall tale.

What say you?

My Dad's wife, who also worked there, thinks 2 but said my Dad would know more. He's in Florida without phone/power so will ask in the next couple days.
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [Sideways] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey sideways....Seatbelts play this show.https://www.facebook.com/...ion_history%22%3A%22[%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22page%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22page_upcoming_events_card%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A[]%7D]%22%2C%22has_source%22%3Atrue%7D

sometimes
Last edited by: mustangchef: Sep 12, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Whoa.

Is that Tom Demerly???

TAKE IT TO THE TRI FORUM

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With more hair.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
eb wrote:
patf wrote:
eb wrote:

275 fatalities? What?!

How would we know about it if they don't report it.

The Toronto Subway line has shitloads of suicides. They never report on them. Sometimes you're riding the subway and you hear about an "injury at track level". That's code for suicide.

Eh, I'm not convinced. The 275 number came from somewhere, but there's no attribution. The page I linked to says the number is much lower. I'm sure the county coroner knows. You don't just get away with not reporting - somebody somewhere knows.

And BTW info on Toronto subway suicides is readily available (although they did resist publishing the data): https://en.wikipedia.org/...Commission_incidents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golden Gate Bridge has signs and I believe even volunteers patrolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:

Not luck. Skill.

Current scorecard:

Great Britain: 1
Rest of the World: -275

The skill to swim 220 meters in half an hour!

That would be 13:38/100m. Go Brits!
Quote Reply
Re: Drunk Briton swam across Hoover Dam and survived [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDavis wrote:

Yup in Perth we have a lot of people that go missing "presumed drowned" when swimming in the ocean such as a surfer who recently "drowned", legroom was snapped or bitten.. and his body never found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was the conversation right before he dove in:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next