Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar Pad Stack/Reach
Quote | Reply
Is there a database of Pad X/Y for various aerobars relative to stem clamp (or relative to top of headset for those that integrate the stem)?

The new calculator is great for getting Pad X/Y that Dan developed (regardless of if you are thinking about an Andean) combined with the fact that most frames list Stack/Reach to top of the headtube, could make this a tool for purchasing any bike. However, if you are picking a frame and bar combination, you still need data on the bars to make this work. While a few manufacturers list options, they don't seem to be common. Is there a database of bar stack/reach to go with the frame stack/reach database already here?

For instance, I'm looking to purchase a frame and bar (probably used) as part of a project bike. My target Pad X/Y is 465/600. I can tell what frames might be in the right ballpark, but not which bars might best complement them (within the range of normal stems available). Anyone have suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Pad Stack/Reach [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've compiled that data, at some point I'll add it to the velogicfit website but I'm afraid that's pretty low on my priority list.
At this stage the only way to access the info is to subscribe to the bike finder (on velogicfit.com) and generate specific bike/bar results
Note that pad X is to the rear of the pad

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Pad Stack/Reach [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that you wouldn't be willing to make that data publicly available, even in just a spreadsheet form? I understand that it wouldn't help your business. I'm just hoping that someone who does have the data is willing to make it public and free to help out those of us who are trying to manage a DIY bike fitting project on a tight budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to make it available, but it's a massive amount of work to express all those measurements in a consistent way. At this stage the time frame is 2018, probably towards the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that is understandable, but on firs blush, I can't see why. Isn't it just min to max stack and mid to max reach? On a few bars, I could imagine that those interact rather than being independent, but you could always go with inner limits on those and mark them as weird. Or is it that the data is not organized in a consistent and tabulateable way? If you want a second set of eyes on it, I'd be happy to look it over and potentially help you organize it (or confirm that it is really a big and unwieldy task that isn't well suited to an automated solution).

Nonetheless, a sincere thank you for doing the work to gather all of this info and to make it public (eventually)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that hard to pull a summary table. But it doesn't mean much without context - it's the context that I need time to write up.
I construct models of the bars so we can calculate every possible configuration, which includes specific stem options, spacers etc.
This table gives you the min/max aerobar xy (from frame xy to back of the pad and top of the cushion) for the models I could most easily grab but will only serve to tell you which models are really out of the running.

Note that there are filters applied to reduce the number of configs to only be useful ones so the totals for the new Profile bars are lower than the true total possibilities.

Context looks like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I fully understand both the beauty and challenge of what you are putting together. I only cared about a small part of this, the pad X/Y options because my interests and knowledge are limited. I am not too picky about extension shape (within limits), ride with my bars at 0-deg tilt, don't care much about bullhorn drop, etc.

From my limited experience with different aerobar setups (and it really is pretty limited), and my more extensive experience with various other bars on various road/tandem/fixed/mountain/gravel bikes (I still have a pair of WTB dirtdrops I love for fixed gear gravel riding, to give you a sense of where I'm coming from), I've discovered that I'm just not that picky. Having something fit in the X/Y/Z matters a ton to me, once I'm settled in on it, I adapt pretty quickly to the details of the setup and rarely care.

So what I thought was a simple request mostly was one. It is all the other details that a proper fitter like you should care about (for the 99% of people who are pickier than me) that I was ignoring and you are quite rightly focussed on.

Thank you so much for the shortlist with the basics that I was looking for. It gives me a great sense of how to compare a whole bunch of potential bars and a good way of comparing other bars to these based on publicly available information. I really appreciate it.
Quote Reply