Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soccer in Syria?
Quote | Reply
Given the current 4th place standing for the US men's soccer team, the potential exists for a playoff vs Syria in order to qualify for the World Cup. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the playoff is a home and away two-game scenario.)

It would be "interesting" to have a team representing the US playing a game in Syria these days. But if that's the scenario we end up having, would the US men's team go and play a game there?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Syria play no games at home. Third countries host them

They were in qatar last year

Singapore malaysia etc

I would guess us / syria might go to somewhere like the emirates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the whole country a war zone? There may be places where it's pretty much life as normal (Assad parts of the country?). If not just play in a neutral location elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Syria play no games at home. Third countries host them

They were in qatar last year

Singapore malaysia etc

I would guess us / syria might go to somewhere like the emirates
Thanks. That makes sense (but it must be odd for the soccer players from Syria).

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard much about Syria lately.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the whole country a war zone?

The Northern part (Aleppo) is a particularly bad in many places in Damascus, they are trying to return to normal. I spent some time there just before the war and am in regular contact with people in Homs and also Damascus. We only see destruction but there are of course lots of places that are still functioning.

Syria doesn't play games in their country for the world cup qualifying, too easy of a target but people are still going out to watch the games and celebrate so they are trying to maintain some normalcy.

Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's because they don't get hurricanes...

Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

That's because they don't get hurricanes...

Nor has Assad tweeted something mean...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd figure they'd have 1-2 players in a decent European league but nope. Not a one. A little surprising.
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
I'd figure they'd have 1-2 players in a decent European league but nope. Not a one. A little surprising.

Middle East countries are about as bad as we are at developing good players.
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Salah from Egypt is on Liverpool and there have been others. I'd figure at least one or two in a second league. He'll, even Alexi lalas played in Italy's 2nd division.
Quote Reply
Re: Soccer in Syria? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Salah from Egypt is on Liverpool and there have been others. I'd figure at least one or two in a second league. He'll, even Alexi lalas played in Italy's 2nd division.

Yeah I would say that is pretty bad. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Soccer is simply a sport that requires too much skill to consistently get results with haphazard development of players like we have here in the U.S., which is how countries like Croatia produce better players than we do.
Quote Reply