Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'?
Quote | Reply
My wife and I got hooked on this show last year during the first series. Last night was the last episode of Series 2. What a climax to the season. The last episode reminded me of Breaking Bad with the multiple resolutions to various crises going on in the show.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've watched most of this season because we're getting 6 months of free Showtime and it comes on when I often have the TV on in the background. Moderately entertaining but wouldn't say I'm hooked (though haven't seen last night's episode yet - don't spoil it please).
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is awesome. One of my fave shows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to start my own thread, but dug this one up from 2014. Just started watching the series a couple weeks ago.

Ho-ly shit ...

GREAT show! However, last night's episode was tough. I am about 3/4 of the way through Season 2. This is the episode where they forget Conor's birthday. He asks for a family birthday party. Everyone shows, including Micky with Claudette. Wow. Talk about dysfunction. That entire episode got me feeling almost sick.

Love this show. Anyone else watching?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished season 1 and loved it.

But s2 ep1 was very weak (the whole fake American idol thing, the talking dolphin, rehashing the Connor beating someone up,) so you're saying it gets better? Wife and I are worried it's just more of the same but seems they kinda effed those storylines out with sully etc
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Just finished season 1 and loved it.

But s2 ep1 was very weak (the whole fake American idol thing, the talking dolphin, rehashing the Connor beating someone up,) so you're saying it gets better? Wife and I are worried it's just more of the same but seems they kinda effed those storylines out with sully etc

Oh HELL yeah! I agree, Season 2 started off weak. But it gets great. I just finished Season 2 tonight. Epic. Ray's life is a mess. Cannot wait to start Season 3.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been watching it since the beginning

Had to wait for Game of Thrones to conclude, then I need to finish Twin Peaks before I get back to Ray Donovan

I hate to admit it, but Avi & Lena are my favorite characters

Mini-Spoiler Alert: When you get deeper into Season 2, you may never play Scrabble again, nor look at Audrey Horne quite the same way

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are STILL watching it. Last night, we caught up a couple of episodes and there are only two left that we haven't seen. This season is pretty good. Some big changes.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely love that show, I usually wait till the current season is over and do a free showtime 3 month trial and binge watch it. One of the best series on cable at the moment, kind of an Irish Sopranos.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Absolutely love that show, I usually wait till the current season is over and do a free showtime 3 month trial and binge watch it. One of the best series on cable at the moment, kind of an Irish Sopranos.
I like the show but the accents are a little much, especially the wife's.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
monty wrote:

I like the show but the accents are a little much, especially the wife's.

I dunno. She sounds exactly like the fans at Gillette Stadium last night. Especially when she whines ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever see a movie with Ben Affleck, where he tries to put his Boston accent "back on?"

He's been gone so long, he can't do it anymore, and it comes out so cah-toon-y

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of changes coming in Season 5...

That's all I will say.

Greg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:

That's all I will say.

Greg

Season 4 spoiler.

Holy shit. I just watched the episode where mickey has to prove he's gay. The scene of him pretending to bang his old cellmate is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:

That's all I will say.

Greg

Fuck you, Season 5. Fuck you. That’s a lot to take.

Damn.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
gregtryin wrote:

That's all I will say.

Greg

Damn.

What episode are you up to? My wife and I caught up last night except for the new episode that aired last night. We are having a Tivo problem and it didn't record that episode.

But, yeah, what a f'ckin' season. Like I said above, lots of changes.

Greg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything but the episode last night.

I absolutely hated how the season started. I cannot stand when we jump ahead in time and have flashbacks every episode to fill in the gaps.

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Ever see a movie with Ben Affleck, where he tries to put his Boston accent "back on?"

He's been gone so long, he can't do it anymore, and it comes out so cah-toon-y

Exactly. Jeremy Renner and Chris Cooper's accents in The Town were more believable than Affleck's despite the fact they didn't grow up in Mass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Everything but the episode last night.

I absolutely hated how the season started. I cannot stand when we jump ahead in time and have flashbacks every episode to fill in the gaps.

I wasn't crazy about the flashbacks either, but in the end, several questions were answered. The whole time that Bridgette was telling the guy with cancer that she thought that Ray had 'poisoned' him, I thought that was just a crazy story. It made the viewer make a judgement as to whether Ray could or would do it for several weeks. It was a clever way to pull you in and it's really the way things happen in real life. Rarely do we get all of the facts in the beginning, nor do we know what 'facts' are actually facts when we do get them.

Regarding the last episode we watched, I suppose there will now be a new subplot; the FBI going after Darrell. However, they will not know who in the Donovan clan is really the 'right' guy. So, the intensity is about to ratchet up in a huge way. It's going to be a big 'ask' for Ray to get everyone out of this situation.

Greg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
gregtryin wrote:

That's all I will say.

Greg

Damn.

Spoilers:

Just finished episode 8 of Season 5. Fuck. Wife had me fast forward through a lot of the episode, particularly when Abby killed herself. I keep watching hoping the next episode will get better but they're still total downer episodes. I hope that now they've shown how she died we can get back to normal Ray Donovan and family crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the entire series and really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
CancelRetry
[/url]

Who's watching this season? I really like it. Only 2 episodes left, I think. I'm not sure how Ray's going to get himself out of this one but I'm sure Mickey will play a big role in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Me too
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Watch the Showtime Series 'Ray Donovan'? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Me too
Fuze
calling...
Can't complete call
We're sorry about that. Please try again or contact support if you continue to have issues.
CancelRetry
[/url]

You know its not over, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this show! I'm struggling a bit with Ray having to solve everyone's problems and constantly being kicked in the nuts. I would like to see him win a couple here and there.

I miss Lena. She was great and Ray really needed her.

Bridget and Smitty are poetic, in a sense.

Daryll is a POS, just like his father.

Something about Molly Sullivan - sexy as all hell ...

Quote Reply

Prev Next