"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A crazy day that I'll never forget. I am sure that everyone here remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard about this.

I was at work in a book bindery. No access to TV. We didn't have smart phone yet. All we had were radio reports.

After hearing that both towers fell I remember saying that there could be over 10,000 people
Dead. Thankfully many either hadn't arrived at work yet or got out safely.

Hopefully no shit happens today. Stay safe my friends.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove down 55 to yhr 4900 block of pulaski yo work at 6.40

Got in to see tv on in conf room

Watched it all day

Everyone left after lunch shocked

That evening went for a ride on LSD bike path to clear my head

Some idiot i was unaware of was drafting me. I pulled out to avoid a cyclist riding in the wrong bike lane. Hear enormous bang. Stop. Turn round. See bloke behind me on deck. Broken colar bone. Guy he hit on shopping bike. Helmet in basket is on the deck siezing and out cold.

The only fortunate thing was in happened by northwestern hosp and all the staff on smoke break came over

I turned round. Went home and got drunk. Decided it was just a shit day.

It is amazing to think 16 years on how the world has changed as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NFNF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was doing rounds when the first plane hit and a patient was watching on TV and said terrorists flew into a building in New York. I said no more likely a plane just lost control. Duh!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was living in texas at that time and was supposed to go fly that afternoon. when i turned on the tv the only thing they were showing and discussing was the first plane that had hit one of the towers. they kept saying it was an airliner but knowing how bad the news screws things up i thought that there was no way it was accurate. then the second plane hit. i called my buddy that i had flown with for years. he was flying for another company and had moved to phoenix. i asked him if he was up and had seen the news. he said no. i told him to get up now and turn on the tv. he asked what was going on, i told him i couldn't even describe it, to just turn on the tv and start watching the news.

that evening i called two guys that i knew who flew for American hoping to hear they were still alive. they were.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the first we heard of it they were just saying that a plane crashed into the building. And we all assumed it was an accident. Although I remember wondering aloud how the hell a plane that size crashes into a building.

Then, of course, the second plane hit and we stopped wondering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was my first week of university. I remember riding the bus to campus and hearing two kids, Elementary school age, talking about planes crashing in to buildings and thinking "that's kind of a weird morbid topic for this time of day". Got to my first class, math, and our proof told us what was going on. He was in shock. Tried to give his lecture, paused around 15 minutes in and said "you all should probably go home, be with friends or family if you can, or see what's going on on the news". Got to a tv just as the second plane hit.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Houston on business and driving to the airport to fly to the Valley for another meeting. I remember pulling into the parking garage at the airport and noticing every one on their phones (which was odd in 2001). As I walked into the terminal, things were odd (I still didn't know). As I walked to the counter I looked at the agent and said "I don't think I am traveling today, am I? She said nope. And she shared what she knew. I left and went back to the hotel and turned the TVs on in time to watch the buildings fall. I stayed in Houston for 2 days and then drove the rental car to Nashville to get home...I will never forget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was on a backpacking trip near the Grand Canyon (Havasu Falls). Didn't hear abou it until 9/12. A Havasupai Indian told us about it, drawing in the dirt with a stick as he spoke. He had drawn the Twin Towers and described how planes had flown into them.

Then he said, "one of the buildings came down, then the other", as he erased his drawing with his hand.

My wife and I were just sitting there like...

Didn't fully grasp what had happened until the 14th when we checked into a motel in Needles, CA and flicked on the TV.

I called my mom...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was on a conference call heard the first bang. Saw the second on TV. Had a lot of former coworkers and a friend or two in there. All were physically fine. Evacuated our building so I headed to the train station to take the train to the suburbs to get the fuck out of dodge. I ran into my dad in the train station. He had just gotten off. I asked him if he heard what had happened. Yep. Why aren't you heading home? They aren't going to fly a plane in my building and I have work to do. First person I met who basically said fuck'em.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few months after I had a guy give me surf lessons in Florida. He tells me his new girlfriend had moved from New York to Florida to live with him a few weeks before the event. Her job was in the twin towers and would likely have been at work that day if she had not moved. He said her family seemed to really like him.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Paris with my wife who was 4 months pregnant. That day, and the trip home from England, will never be forgotten.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Austin just after undergrad graduation. Was headed out to work when it came on TV. Sat there for hours with my Mrs. OCTri just watching the looping news. Terrible. Went out that night with a couple, had beers, sang "Proud to be an American." Terrible time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst day of my personal and professional life all rolled into one. I was stationed in VA Beach, been married 5 months.

Our first attempt a pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, I was at the Dr's office with my wife while she was undergoing a D&C procedure and I watched the whole thing unfold on TV, when the second tower was hit I called into work. My job at the time was air defense and was pretty god damned sure our unit was actively turning everything up to watch the unfriendly skies and make them friendly once again. Perhaps the the biggest lesson I ever learned in my 22 year Marine Corps career was given to me over the phone by the Master Sergeant I worked for at the time. He simply said, "you stay with your wife, she needs you more now then we do. You've trained your Marines, they're doing fine, we'll see you in a few days" then hung up before I get out the obligatory "but...but....but".

I never forgot that lesson. And I can never forget this day. It changed not only the our mck414 lives forever, it changed the world.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First year law student, my Contracts professor had a note handed to him in the middle of class, he read it gravely and then told us what had happened. Finished the lecture early, we all went out to the halls where TVs had been rolled out and we watched it on live TV. Classes were cancelled, I was a month post-Ironman and (as I still do) looked to exercise as therapy and stress relief - went home and ran intervals around the lake until I was on the verge of vomiting.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much the same story for my wife. I think that she was also first year law. Watched on TVs in the main area of her campus building for a few hours, then went home.

I don't think that she ran until she vomited though.

Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I never forgot that lesson. And I can never forget this day. It changed not only the our mck414 lives forever, it changed the world.

I was thinking about this this morning on the way to work. How long until 9/11 is relegated to textbooks and history channel specials a la pearl harbor? On Dec 7th, you might here a blurb here or there, but for the most part, its been relegated to history.

Of course those of us who were old enough to witness and grasp what happened on 9/11 will never forget.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I said no more likely a plane just lost control. Duh!

My first thoughts as well. I was wondering who approved some idiots pilots license who couldn't avoid a big ass building; thinking it was a Cessna or similar. Then the second plane hit and broadcasters were still wondering whether or not it was an act of terror and thinking what kind of idiots do they let report news on live tv/radio.
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I was thinking about this this morning on the way to work. How long until 9/11 is relegated to textbooks and history channel specials a la pearl harbor? On Dec 7th, you might here a blurb here or there, but for the most part, its been relegated to history.

Of course those of us who were old enough to witness and grasp what happened on 9/11 will never forget.

Good question, I would think 2-3 generations. For me Peal Harbor was "just a text book" lesson, but for my grandparents it was something a whole lot more and a very real part of their lives decades later. I suspect my my grandchildren, should I blessed as such, feel the same way with 9/11.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was mid-air between Hong Kong and Anchorige, AK. Ended up turning back over the Andreanof Islands and spent the next 4 days in Osaka.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: 16 Years Ago Today [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I was mid-air between Hong Kong and Anchorige, AK. Ended up turning back over the Andreanof Islands and spent the next 4 days in Osaka.

When did you find out why you were turned around?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted to IG by a good friend, photography mentor, NASA moon shot king pin and genuinely crazy person...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked for a venture capital company that was traded on Nasdaq. We had TVs all over the office and, as the markets were closed, there was nothing to do but watch the news. We dealt with analysts at Goldman Sachs, UBS Warberg, etc. who were headquartered in Tower 6 (or 5?) and we didn't get any news about them for several days so it was pretty somber. The whole city was somber, taking the bus in to work and walking around downtown everyone looked shell-shocked.

At the end of the day I'd had too much of the news so headed over to my friend's. She was supposed to be flying out that day for a four month trip through Syria, Jordan and Egypt. She'd packed up her house for her trip so all we had to entertain us was Disney movies and ouzo.
Quote Reply

Prev Next