Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Niagara Falls Barrelman Sells Out!
Quote | Reply
The 2017 edition of the Rev3 Niagara Falls Barrelman has sold out with almost 1,100 registered individual athletes (including individuals in relays) and on race day we will see 1,000 bikes in the Transition Zone. We anticipate that post-race the number of actual participants will give us bragging rights as the largest non-70.3 distance race in North America.
Much has been written over the past few years about independent Half and local/regional races in North America and it seems that our partnership with Rev3 has been a catalyst for U.S. based athletes learning about our race. The Rev3 Athlete Ambassadors have been incredible in posting support and feedback on the Rev 3 Niagara Falls Barrelman Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/...ps/1790879447841557/). Thank you to all of you!
Thank you to Dan, aka Slowman, and Slowtwitch for your tolerance in our posting about Barrelman, which I see as support of local and independent races. Thank you to everyone who has registered and will be participating in a great weekend of racing.

PS: If you missed your chance to register you can email our offices, as there have been some cancellations over the past weeks and we anticipate that there might be more this week as people's plans change. Please email info@multisportcanada.com to get your name on the waiting list. We will fill any cancelled spots with names from the waiting list, first come, first served.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Sells Out! [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
The 2017 edition of the Rev3 Niagara Falls Barrelman has sold out with almost 1,100 registered individual athletes (including individuals in relays) and on race day we will see 1,000 bikes in the Transition Zone. We anticipate that post-race the number of actual participants will give us bragging rights as the largest non-70.3 distance race in North America.
Much has been written over the past few years about independent Half and local/regional races in North America and it seems that our partnership with Rev3 has been a catalyst for U.S. based athletes learning about our race. The Rev3 Athlete Ambassadors have been incredible in posting support and feedback on the Rev 3 Niagara Falls Barrelman Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/...ps/1790879447841557/). Thank you to all of you!
Thank you to Dan, aka Slowman, and Slowtwitch for your tolerance in our posting about Barrelman, which I see as support of local and independent races. Thank you to everyone who has registered and will be participating in a great weekend of racing.

PS: If you missed your chance to register you can email our offices, as there have been some cancellations over the past weeks and we anticipate that there might be more this week as people's plans change. Please email info@multisportcanada.com to get your name on the waiting list. We will fill any cancelled spots with names from the waiting list, first come, first served.

That is awesome! I love hearing about independent races doing well! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankyou John for organizing all these great local races.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well earned John. Those are 1,100 lucky people. Great job!
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Sells Out! [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks davejustdave, len and SBRinSD!

Durhamskier, you and others have helped bring attention to our races and what we do, I really appreciate your support and positivity!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the sell out! My buddy and I were out on a ride Sunday Morning and I commented we should be in Cedar Point right now missed that race it was always a great family trip. Might need to visit Niagara in the next few years. Keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Sells Out! [joehysong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the sell out! My buddy and I were out on a ride Sunday Morning and I commented we should be in Cedar Point right now missed that race it was always a great family trip. Might need to visit Niagara in the next few years.

There is all kinds of great things to do and see in Niagara Falls itself. Just beyond Niagara Falls are some of the best wineries in all of Canada (and perhaps North America for some varietals), and the cycling in the region, while not mountainous, is amazing - many quiet roads, with little traffic!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:

Congrats John on building an awesome regional event. I was just talking to a friend who did the LP 70.3 who was very much disappointed with the lack of "service" for the Mdot premium and plans to do local half IM and Olympic racing next year. Also wanted to say thanks for keeping things going in Kingston all these years. That was my first race in 1985 and would like to do it again, once I am able to ride and run again in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed the bike cutoff time is a little tighter than some other races. Curious, have you had many miss the bike cutoff? Is this something that you have heard feedback from athletes on?
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Sells Out! [McNabb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it has never been an issue and we convey this in pre-race emails and meetings, the bike cut-off is quite flexible. The nature of this course and the logistics planning has to take into account a couple of things on the bike. Since we do not want to contribute to the possibility of drafting on a relatively flat course it necessitates swim wave starts that ensure spacing out the field. They start at 9:00am and the last leaves at 9:18. The other factor is that it is a point-to-point race. In order to get to Niagara Falls the bike course actually goes through a tunnel that runs under the Welland canal. Because that section of road must be closed we have a time limit of 2pm to get the last cyclist through that tunnel before we reopen to vehicular traffic. That is at the 55km point of the bike.

When you put that all together: If the slowest swimmer, starting in the 9:18 wave and finishing in maximum allowed swim time at 10:58, was also the slowest cyclist, they would have from 10:58am until 2:00pm to get through the tunnel. That is 3 hours to travel 55km. We have never had anyone miss that HARD cut-off. Given the two loop run we have leeway on, if and when, we will enforce the overall cut-off. The reality is we never want to pull an athlete from the course because of a cut-off and have sent our crew out to shadow and then stayed for the last finisher every year.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by: John Salt: Sep 14, 17 3:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, thanks for the detail! I hear great things about this race and the team behind it, looking forward to jumping in one year.
Quote Reply