Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Premier Tactical [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
I think it will fit in the BB cover. There is additional space in the frame itself above the cover. I will print a sample based on the dimensions you provided and see how it fits. Give me a few days and I will let you know for sure.

That's not going to work for eTap. The wires from the blips are only 300 mm and the blip box has to be mounted somewhere around the stem area. There are no wires that route through the frame towards the rear of the bike. The BB us definitely too far.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that information. So it's not like the DI-2 where you can swap different length wires to move things around?

Are the shifters hard wired with 300 mm wires - with the disconnection at the blip-box?

I'll check out a wiring diagram and see what is possible.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be an option for the blip box. Run all the wires internally through the bar and further through the extensions. Then out the forward most adjustment hole in the extensions. With the box mounted slightly below or slightly above the extension bars - you should have plenty of grip room.

An alternative would be internally route the wires like we do the DI-2 and then out through the top of the stem cover and mount on top of the stem cover or alternatively inside a bento box.

If you run a BTA the box would be shielded.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I think this is a problem that needs a better solution and given your willingness to listen and make appropriate changes, I have no doubt you will.

In the years 2017/2018 and for a bike is being marketed as one only for electronic shifting (DI2, etap etc.), it should be functional and aesthetically pleasing for all such shifters. Are there solutions that could be rigged using etap with the current set up--sure...but none that are any more appealing (and perhaps less appealing) than a frame that doesn't market itself as built for electronic shifting and those don't all allow for complete cable integration. I don't know if there is a way to functionally make the cavity near the stem/aero bars big enough to house a blip box and keep cables hidden, but that would probably seem to be the ideal location.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 8, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you- which bike do you think does the best job of concealing the blip box?

I'll try an find a few examples that do a good job and see if we can come up with a good solution.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question to which I do not have an answer...hopefully someone else can chime in.

I have a 2014 P2 and I simply secured my blip box via the garmin mount that comes with the blip box to my stem. That could certainly be done on the Tactical. But, personally, if I were to consider "upgrading" (and the Tactical would be on the short list if I did), I would only do so to a frame that would entirely conceal the blip box.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just purchased Premier's chain. I can honestly say that the customer service offered by Dan is the finest that I've ever seen for an online retailer. The chain was back ordered when I placed my order. I emailed Dan to see if I could have it before the masters world cycling TT. He promptly emailed back and offered expedited shipping to me in France. If this is the service that he offers for a small purchase, he's definitely setting a new standard in customer care. I wish them all the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only bike I have seen do it well is Tony Martin's Canyon

http://www.velonews.com/...anyon-tt-bike_442209

and I'm sorry, but I have no idea how they hid the blip box, or if they are even using production parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Good question to which I do not have an answer...hopefully someone else can chime in.

I have a 2014 P2 and I simply secured my blip box via the garmin mount that comes with the blip box to my stem. That could certainly be done on the Tactical. But, personally, if I were to consider "upgrading" (and the Tactical would be on the short list if I did), I would only do so to a frame that would entirely conceal the blip box.

I'm hoping, and I suspect, the Blipbox isn't going to be around or necessary much longer. I don't have any solid inside info, just a smirk here or there when I mention it to people who would know.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, of course, the new technology we are currently investing in will be obsolete very shortly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any way to splice the blip wires and solder on a longer intermediate section, then stash the blip box under the saddle?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
This might be an option for the blip box. Run all the wires internally through the bar and further through the extensions. Then out the forward most adjustment hole in the extensions. With the box mounted slightly below or slightly above the extension bars - you should have plenty of grip room.

An alternative would be internally route the wires like we do the DI-2 and then out through the top of the stem cover and mount on top of the stem cover or alternatively inside a bento box.

If you run a BTA the box would be shielded.

With this, couldn't you just skip the Blip shifters, since from what I understand you can shift directly with the Blip Box? You can still route the cables for the base bars to shift remotely.

Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
is there any way to splice the blip wires and solder on a longer intermediate section, then stash the blip box under the saddle?

Yep. It is just a 2-wire cable connected to a momentary switch.

I've made a set of Clics out of some push buttons I got from Fleabay and used the stock cables from the blips that came with the group. I couldn't source the 2mm male plug sadly so I had to waste a good pair of blips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I'm hoping, and I suspect, the Blipbox isn't going to be around or necessary much longer. I don't have any solid inside info, just a smirk here or there when I mention it to people who would know.

I second this. Given that they were able to avoid using a blip box in their road group, I imagine SRAM is working to come up with a better solution to the TT group. Having to figure out where to put 4 wires and an object the size of a garmin edge somewhere around the stem (where it's just gonna get in the way of the wind) kind of kills the romance of the whole "wireless" shifting.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I thought when you said BB you meant basebar for some reason. The blip box definitely needs to be somewhere by the stem but as long as the cables can be routed to the exterior then it will work. Does the cavity where the junction box is stashed have a lid? I would be willing to drill a small opening for the wires and continue to mount the blipbox on the BTA cage. I want to buy a frameset from you whether we can get the blip box internally or not so I'm sure we can work something out.
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been thinking about this a bit and believe the box will fit inside the downtube where our JC200's are now without modification or drilling.

I'm out of town right now but when I return I will try and install a system and report back.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full page ad in the Ironman Wisconsin athlete guide on the Tactical
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good, keep me posted here or through PM. Also a post earlier said that the blip cable length was 300m, I just measured my set and they are 650mm in length.Let me know if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw an athlete on the Tactical this morning, and it looked amazing in person. Super impressive!
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [derailleur'd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
derailleur'd wrote:
I saw an athlete on the Tactical this morning, and it looked amazing in person. Super impressive!

Yeah, I agree. The one we aero tested was pre-production and looked "okay." We have two Medium's in our fit studio and the final product is very nice; looks great in person.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Tactical has shipped and I can't wait to get it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan

Firstly well done on bringing this to market - I think you are absolutely spot on with your product offering and I am 90% sure I will be making an order shortly.

two quick questions and apologies if these have been covered above:

- is the Tactical compatible with the tacx neo trainer?

- what is the cross section on the front wheel?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Sloggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sloggy you can use the Tactical on the trainer. No issues.

Front wheels specifications:
Tire Type:
Clincher
Rim Width:
[brake track width] 25 mm, [maximum width] 28 mm, [tire bed width] 17.5 mm

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Just to be clear I wasn't asking whether the bike was OK to use on a trainer per se, but rather whether you were aware of any clearance issues on the Tacx Neo in particular. I have the second generation of that trainer so I don't think its a particular issue anymore, but certainly on the Gen I there were certain bikes that didn't fit around the plastic case. I just wondered if you could say for sure it would fit.

On the front wheel, I guess what I was looking for was a description of the shape - is it a V shape, U shape or some other toroidal wheel shape? or better yet a picture, eg:

cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Premier Tactical [Sloggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 2nd generation Tacx Neo. Once I get the bike I will let you know how it fits.
Quote Reply

Prev Next