Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
September Swimming!
Quote | Reply
Your goal, as in the past, is four swims a week :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.7 mi run 46:45, 1925 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
200 fast 2:28
2 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 200 fast on 3:30, all 2:26s
325 yd c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool is closing for annual maintenance and won't be open until the 12th. :(
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my pool is closing on Monday all the way to 22 Sep. Need to drive across town now. Bummer. Swimming is my only sport now, so this puts a damper on things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 mile run 45:43
Might count for half a swim... 850 yards 5x100 7x50 (late start, pool closed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are running TSUN club summer tune-up practices off the dock. I am doing them too, getting dropped like a stone. With a wetsuit however, 2km cross-lake OWS not a problem.

I gotta solve that suit/no suit differential for next year, I've got some clues.

Practice pix:

<https://twitter.com/...s/903863711642787840

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Sep 1, 17 23:18
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beautiful pic!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AM swim: 2475 yds
-500 warm up
-5x50 @ ~1:35 pace
-1500 easy
-3x75 cool down

PM swim: 2800 yds
-200 warm up
-200 kick
-200 pull
-200 easy
-2x900 ~1:48 pace (about race pace for me right now)
-200 cool down

I only posted because I'll probably never have a volume day like this again, haha. Storm here in Houston shut down my gym most of the week, so I had to double up some workouts to get everything in. My current plan has some big volume swim weeks and I'm seeing improvement (from nearly 2 min pace to 1:45ish pace on a 1000 yd. Wish I had more time for workout days like this.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job! 7.32 mi run this morning (65 min), 2000 yd swim. I was in a pool w/o a clock so I swam straight, some of it kicking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.2 mi run w/ 5k @ 7:53, 1.55 mi @ 7:47, 1.05 mi @ 7:41 (walking + .2 easy run between them)
800 yds in the outdoor pool to stretch out. Tasted like bleach.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wrapped up my Hawaiian Swim Spectacular today.
Saturday, I participated in the Maui Channel Relay – about 10 miles. Our team, all male 360+, placed third. Each member (6 of us) swims a half hour each and then 10 minute sessions. My half hour session got us 2208 yards further (1:20 pace) and I only had to swim one ten minute session which moved us 840 yards (1:12 pace).
Today, I swam the Waikiki Roughwater Swim and placed third in my division. 4622 yards in an hour & 8 minutes.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the swims!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run, 775 yd swim

rode 40.4 miles yesterday and am kinda tired today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run w/ 4.5 @ 8:00/mi
575 yd swim

got to the pool late because I spent about half an hour this morning watching the 9-day old kittens sleep :-) they were just too cute to leave.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awww, kittens. Then they turn into cats (ughh!)

I swam this AM.. the usual Shaw's Cove swim. Water was cold in the cove, but warmer outside - 67 or so. I wore my wetsuit top.
2421 yards in 44 minutes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE CATS.
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I LOVE CATS.
I'm not sure we can be friends anymore!
The thing is, cats don't like people. If they cuddle up to you all purring and what not, they have an ulterior motive. I'm not buying their play for affection.

On the other hand, a dog's affection is real. They truly love their owner.

When I ever get into a place I can have a dog, I'm getting a Vizsla.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cats have so much more elegance than dogs.

6.8 mi easy run 1:01:30, 1200 yd swim.

6 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
100 fast 1:13
50 easy
50 kick
100 fast 1:12
250 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.3 mi run w/ 2 x 2 mi 15:53 for each
2225 yd swim

500 swim
50 kick
100 swim
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
3 x [200 fast on 3:00 + 100 easy on 2:00] 2:38, 2:33, 2:33
125 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Cats have so much more elegance than dogs.
That's what cats will tell you. Simply not true.

Swam last night at Oak Street with the fun gang. 2737 yards in 40 minutes. Water there is a touch warmer at 64 degrees. Followed up with elegant bacon wrapped hot dogs & beer.

Swam again this morning at Shaw's where the water is still barely 60 & maybe under that. 2521 yards in 35 minutes. Wore my wetsuit to recall how to swim in it for this weekend's triathlon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday - 9.6 mi run, 2 mi bike

3 mi OW race yesterday. I was 4th FOV (a 17-yr old won, and they did awards as splitting adults and "17 and under", so I got a 3rd place award. I consider it a 4th place finish. There were 11 women and 22 men; I was 16th of the 33). Time 1:19:13, lap splits 25:30, 26:39, 27:04. Three loop course with a short run between them. I really liked that setup. I made up at least one place on the last lap - I passed a woman at the turnaround and started hammering to let her know she didn't have a chance of catching up.

4 mi bike yesterday afternoon.

This morning 8.3 mi run w/ 6.25 mi @ 8:00 pace, then 1525 yd swim as 10 x 100 on 1:30, 100 kick, 4 x 100 on 1:30, 25 kick. I felt really good except some sort of tennis elbow and some other muscles that said "if you keep going you'll pull us." Unfortunate as I WANTED TO STAY IN THE POOL.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your OW Swim! That reminds me of that Lake Mead 10k with the run up and around a feed table on the boat ramp. I'd sure love to do that one again, now that I know better how to pace a distance swim.

I raced (ok, participated) Pacific Coast Triathlon. I was not interested in digging deep on this one, but I was going to make it a hard training experience, if that makes any sense. I'm waiting for overall results as I want to see how I fared in the swim. I killed it in my wave, which left 5 and 3 minutes after the first two waves. I passed a lot of first wavers before exiting the the surf, did a lot of zig-zagging to get around them, too. By my watch, I held a 1:11 pace for the almost 1000 yards. I didn't have a great feel for the bike - never felt strong (just 19.5 mph average where in the past I've been nearly 21) on it and my buddy Ron caught me entering T2. We both began the run together, but he's always been a touch faster and I didn't feel like pressing it to the heart explosion pace. A few days before, I practiced the course doing just the bike and run and I held 7:57 pace then, but only 8:09 or so at the race. Oh well, I held on to second place and won a bottle of wine. As my sister said, it tastes just as good as first place wine.

This AM, back to the pool with a GF/coach plan of pain which included many 25y repeats at ridiculous intervals, 3200 yards worth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the 2nd!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job on all the races Steve, did you have a fast over 60 team for Maui? I have always wanted to do that race, had it in place a couple times and then guys started dropping. And I always made sure I was the slowest guy. on the team, so we were planning on going for the win..Some really fast old geezers do that race, cannot call it in by any means..

So got the tiki swim this week, Dan and I did 10x300 on 4;30 today. Well he swam 2400 straight and fell off pace a bit, I managed to descend 1to 5 swimming and then 6 to 10 pulling, 4;22 to 3;59. Not the best shape for sure, but now I feel like I can at least kind of race the 1.2 this Sunday. Dan will also be racing in that race in the swimsuit division, his first swim only race in a long time. Hope to see you at the finish with each of us with our Tiki's!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: September Swimming! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty,
I think I was the fastest on our team. Craig Taylor was an 18 minute miler not too long ago, but a heart attack has slowed him. Another on our team knows you from LA Lifeguards, Chappie DeHaven. I think we could have pulled into second, instead, our pilot gambled on a current near Lahaina that wasn't there. Olympic Club had a strong team as did the Aussies.
I'd love to solo that sometime. I think I could have gone 4 hours and change. There were only two soloists and they were 6 and 7 hours!
I'll find you two at Tiki. It would be great to add to my collection. I missed only one year, when I was 59 and Brian Buck moved into the 10 year age group.

Quote Reply

Prev Next