Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - where are you? Hope all is okay.

Everyone else - how was your week?
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! Thanks for starting the thread :-)
I've been busy with work and... the pregnant momma cat I am fostering. Her name is Duchess Kate and she arrived yesterday. The kittens are due in about a week. She is definitely a cat... first she took a nap on the dryer, so I put a towel on top so she'd be more comfy. She then took a nap on the floor. I put a towel in that spot. She moved to the washer. Now there are towels all over my house, but at least I know she's resting on something comfortable!

My goals last week were 5 swims (done), ride long and or intervals (did long). I am getting better at keeping easy runs easy and fast runs fast. Totals 11k swim (5x), 45.5 mi bike (2x), 47.4 mi run (6x).

I tried to donate blood twice last week; my hematocrit was borderline low (35%, needs to be 38%). Disappointing as the blood supply is low right now. I am on a vitamin-c-and-spinach diet now :P

Goals for this week: swim 5x (2 done), keep doing a good job alternating easy runs with fast runs, bike 2-3x (one done)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am lost and afraid without Dr TC! I hope you are happy, healthy, and off doing amazing things in the interim....

Thanks for starting us off Scheherazade!

I'm good. Had a solid week last week and nailed almost all of my workouts.

Swim x2 (goal is always 3, rarely make it)
Bike x3 (skipped my last bike - too knackered)
Run x4 (solid!)

I'm still digging my OWS and I'm getting stronger at it. I don't like Kelp (new thing of the week I don't like). I do like my new goggles (nothing fancy, just new).

I had a nice run on Saturday with a gal I hadn't ever run with - our local running club had a shout out for guide runners for a new local who has blindness and I raised my hand. I picked up a great gal on a street corner and drove her out to one of my favorite runs out a fire road. We had a great time huffing and puffing and logged 9 miles. Turns out she is an accountant (with a doctorate!) and so we geeked out on tax code (IRC §280E for any interested in which one). Not many running partners dig that topic! She's running NY Marathon and I'm totally stoked for her.

I'm getting excited for Santa Barbara race in 2 weeks and then Santa Cruz two weeks later. This week will be a light one (thank god!).

Rock on Women!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your kitty DrTC. I'm impressed she could get up on the washer, when I was that pregnant just walking was enough.... Maybe you can keep one of the kittens?

We just got home from holidays. I was lazy and ate a lot of good food. Running the other day was hard.

I keep almost signing up for an "adventure" tri next month (paddle/MTB/trail run). And then I chicken out. Distance is really short, not sure what's causing the mental block.

I start back at work post maternity leave in a couple weeks. I should be taking the baby to daycare this week to get him settled, but I can't bring myself to do that either. :(

So really I just need a big dose of HTFU and to put on my big girl pants and get stuff done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Scheherazade, I hope you had a good week.

Dr. Tigerchik, congratulations and good luck with the kitties, I hope we see pictures soon. Thanks for the reminder to give blood, I'll try to do it this week too. And good work keeping easy runs easy, it really does pay dividends.

Good work getting after your goals, SLO. I'm kinda sorta looking forward to Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz -- I haven't done any bricks and haven't figured out which bike I'm going to ride but meeting you at one of the races is a personal goal :D

Giving blood, helping blind runners -- I'm inspired by the generosity of the Womens!

It was a socially/personally busy week since I was traveling but lower intensity for training since I was traveling, I'd planned on:

Quote:

2 swims focused on kicking, 4 bikes, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions, 1 yoga class, my daily p/rehab, and a nice hike at home. Hopefully my elbow will heal quickly so I can get back to swimming.

I only swam once (just kicking) and ran twice but did everything else I'd planned -- most sessions were a little slower or shorter as I stuffed things in wherever I could because plans tend to go out the window when I go home. I had a great time just helping my family get ready for our run/bike/horseback riding race and I got to run one of my favorite hometown trails.
The fifth annual Trihoofalon was a big success and tons of fun -- we ran and biked for two teams in different divisions and both teams made the podium in their divisions (<--- I am attempting to link to photos here, cross your fingers).

I'm back in SoCal now and already a little homesick for my friends and family. Unfortunately, my elbow is still bothering me -- that is a bummer since it's been on basically complete rest for over a week. I'll test it again in the pool on Thursday and hope to be back in the ocean by the weekend.

Depending on my elbow, I'll likely swim twice and yoga once, run three times, bike three times, lift twice, and do my daily p/rehab. I'm hoping to do an actual swim/bike/run session off my tri bike on Saturday before heading to Idaho to campout for THE ECLIPSE(!) on Monday. Does anyone else have plans to see it?

I hope everyone has a great week!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Aug 15, 17 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the pics, congrats on the podium finishes!!
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A trihooflaon! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing pics.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TC - Glad to hear you are well & busy!
SoCal - great work on the podiums and great pictures too!

My goals were: 150 miles on the bike (NOPE but I got 117), run x 2 (yes), get fence stained (kind of)

What actually happened was that shortly after I posted my update last week I got called out on a search and rescue. 11 hours of woodland searching later my rest day was anything but and Tuesday was mostly a waste as well because I just felt so fatigued (although I did get the first layer of stain on).

The runs were good; the cycling was okay (I'm still just about on track to hit my 1000km goal). I did the club ride and struggled through the last 15 or so miles - we did some number crunching on Golden Cheetah later and figured that I spent about 30% of the ride over critical power. Oh well, I had September and October set aside for a build block anyway.

This week: cycle 150, run x 2 (did one but had knee pain so going to get in touch with my physio), get second coat of stain on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a terrible week last week although I missed two weekdays, one to errands and one to a work disaster that kept me late. I had a nice bike ride on Saturday -- my Garmin is on the fritz and/or it was super cloudy so it kept logging my 5-mile splits in like, 6 minutes. My "max speed" for the ride was 104 mph! Yes! XD XD XD

I was afraid I wouldn't get in any training Sunday because what I thought would be a quick trip to the garden ended up as a 3-hour tomato pruning fest. (We have raised beds in a city lot.) I ended up abandoning my weekly food prep routine when I hit a good stopping point for a quick 4.75-miler to get me to 25 for the week, which is good enough. I ran out the door yelling instructions to my husband, "Take the potatoes out of the oven when the timer goes off, and also unload the dishwasher and fold laundry...." to his credit he did it all!

Goals for this week are the usual: a couple easy runs during the week, get on the trainer, go to barre and/or try to get to the pool, and try to ride outside and run long-ish this weekend. We have a party Saturday night but the rest of the weekend should be nice and quiet.

This weekend is Michigan Titanium, an independent half and full iron distance race not far from me. I did it as my first (and so far only) 70.3 in 2014 and got pulled from the course for lightning in 2015 at mile 53 of the bike. I keep getting the emails of athlete information, and I'm kind of sad because my swimming has gone to shit and I'm not in half shape anymore. But I'm trying to stay positive ... just because I'm not in half shape NOW doesn't mean I won't be again, it wasn't long ago that I couldn't swim one lap, my biking has come a long way, etc.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
What actually happened was that shortly after I posted my update last week I got called out on a search and rescue. 11 hours of woodland searching later...

So.... I hope there was a rescue!! Yikes! Thank you for being a SAR! Hopefully, none of us ever need you.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoCalTricurious wrote:
I'm kinda sorta looking forward to Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz -- I have done any bricks and haven't figured out which bike I'm going to ride but meeting you at one of the races is a personal goal :D

Haha! I have the reciprocal goal! (is that the right word? It is a big word for me....). We should connect up at one of them. How many races have we both been at and not known it!? I'm sure you've blown past me enough times to recognize me. I'd only recognize your back side........ I'll PM you as the race date gets closer! :-)

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started. And I'm glad Dr. TC was just busy....

Well, I did my first cycling time trial. I won my AG. I was also last in my AG. That's because I was my AG! It was fun and really, really hard. I did zero training for it and signed up at the last minute. My foot started cramping really bad at about mile 16 (of 20). At the time I thought it was from fatigue but as it turns out it was probably neurological. My back flared up pretty badly afterwards. Nonetheless, I met my race goals: 1) get to the start in time to see how that went (I was camping and had to pack up before the race, so I was nervous about this); 2) average above 20 mph; 3) not crash; and 4) finish with a smile on my face!

I'm giving serious consideration to a bike race focus next summer. In part because I can bike at low intensity without jacking up the back. We'll see.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you to try a TT.

I found that biking didn't exacerbate my hurty back either. I think doing some bike racing is a great idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are you Dr TC? AKA How was your week, Aug 15 edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win and on meeting your race goals!

Anna S, hooray for climbing -- you're inspiring me to get out there.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply