Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo?
Quote | Reply
I took a peek at the new XC90. The top of the line "Excellence" line starts at $104,900.00. WTF?!

Looks like something the Post Ranch Inn would use to shuttle its guests from SFO to Big Sur, but other than that, who would buy such a thing?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same person that would pay $85000 for Dodge Diesel when they decide they want a European car, except its a Volvo, which is Scandinavian and the only thing they're good at making is Lutefisk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Around here, just about all of the Volvos have Obama and Hillary stickers on them. So, I don't see how they are going to find a market for a $105,000 SUV.

;-P

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sat in one of those XC90s. Truth be told, the interior is really, really, really nice. The interior is worthy of that price. However, for that sort of money there's zero chance I'd tolerate the reliability problems and customer service I've experienced with my comparatively lowly XC 60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that trim falls out of the typical SUV. The regular ones start in the $40k's

• Plugin Hybrid Vehicle, 400 hp, 87 hp Electric Motor
  • Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound System
  • Beverage Cooler/Refrigerator
  • Front and Rear Seats w/High-spec Ventilation and Massage Function

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I took a peek at the new XC90. The top of the line "Excellence" line starts at $104,900.00. WTF?!

Looks like something the Post Ranch Inn would use to shuttle its guests from SFO to Big Sur, but other than that, who would buy such a thing?

I remember when a Volvo or a Saab was regarded as an "intellectuals" car. In the 70's professors in any university town tended to drive them. And the graduate students drove used ones. When I was a student, half the faculty parking lot was a Swedemobile. That was awhile ago however.

I'd like a P1800 like Roger Moore used to drive in "The Saint". My lawyer is restoring one, although its been a long term project.
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Crank wrote:

I remember when a Volvo or a Saab was regarded as an "intellectuals" car. In the 70's professors in any university town tended to drive them. And the graduate students drove used ones. When I was a student, half the faculty parking lot was a Swedemobile. That was awhile ago however.

I'd like a P1800 like Roger Moore used to drive in "The Saint". My lawyer is restoring one, although its been a long term project.

Thats funny because whenever I think of "The Saint", I think of Val Kilmer's C70, which I thought was pretty sweet at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think car manufacturers sometimes fail to understand the psychology of pricing. Twenty years ago, a 105k car would probably have cost you 60k, but I think paying over 100k for a Volvo or any non-supercar (or Bentley, RR etc) is just crazy in most people's minds even if you factor in inflation. However, perhaps this car is marketed more towards the European market and selling it in the US for less would cause problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
I think car manufacturers sometimes fail to understand the psychology of pricing. Twenty years ago, a 105k car would probably have cost you 60k, but I think paying over 100k for a Volvo or any non-supercar (or Bentley, RR etc) is just crazy in most people's minds even if you factor in inflation. However, perhaps this car is marketed more towards the European market and selling it in the US for less would cause problems.

Yeah, I almost want to think Volvo tooled a line to make a relatively small number of bespoke XC90s and said (Swedish accent), "F*ck it, let's just put it out there and see if anyone else wants one."

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
tri_kid wrote:

Yeah, I almost want to think Volvo tooled a line to make a relatively small number of bespoke XC90s and said (Swedish accent), "F*ck it, let's just put it out there and see if anyone else wants one."

lol! Actually, this Volvo XC90 thing reminded me of a Doug DeMuro video I watched about the Cadillac ELR.

https://www.youtube.com/...idmj1VaFw&t=285s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post Ranch Inn = best silverware in CA
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the price of american diesel trucks is truly astonishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellence is built for the China market where everyone has drivers. That's why there's only 4 seats in a full size SUV that normally seats 7. Not selling well in US, the discount on them is now over $20K so it's really an $80K SUV.

When I bought my XC90 in July, the Excellence model they had in the showroom was $85K and there are more discounts now.

Crank wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point there! In fact if you follow the link, the main picture is of a guy sitting in the back seat. Clearly they are targeting buyers who expect to sit in that comfy back seat while someone else drives, otherwise wouldn't you want to show the driver's perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkuo wrote:
Excellence is built for the China market where everyone has drivers. That's why there's only 4 seats in a full size SUV that normally seats 7. Not selling well in US, the discount on them is now over $20K so it's really an $80K SUV.

When I bought my XC90 in July, the Excellence model they had in the showroom was $85K and there are more discounts now.

Crank wrote:

Great point about China. I recognized the target market as one in which the principal is driven by another, thus my comment about shuttling people from SFO to Big Sur. It's like an SUV Maybach (price point notwithstanding).

Aside: I once saw a Maybach parked in my office building's parking lot. The thing was clearly a daily driver, complete with child seat in the back with Cheerios and dirty kid's clothing strewn all over the rear seats. The thing was filthy, looked like it hadn't been washed in a month. Blew my mind.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Doug DeMuro reviews the XC90...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6G69CsBI4Y

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:

Doug DeMuro reviews the XC90...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6G69CsBI4Y

This is my company car. It's a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 station wagon with 184,000 miles on it (30,000 of those from me) and it runs and drives like a top. The turbocharged five-cylinder mill still winds up and lets go with a snap and it accelerates to freeway speeds in seemingly nothing flat. Plus, it's versatile and I can haul stuff around in it, if I need to.

Like-new leather interior, moonroof, good stereo system -- "all the bells and whistles," as they say in the used car business. It was meticulously maintained prior to being handed off to me (Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles, scheduled maintenance performed religiously) and there's not a spot of rust on it or a dent in its body and no fading of that Classic Red exterior, which is still glossy. All the original glass, too. The heated seats are a comfort in the winter and the whisper-quiet automatic climate control provides well-regulated coolness in the summer.

I love the thing, for some perverse reason, although that exterior color makes it hard for me to sneak around the airport ramp and do my security "red cell" stuff. But I can live that.

This car is why I'm going to grab a used Volvo XC70 later this month. Not the same as the V70 (or the hotter V70R, with all the examples for sale around here being thrashed to hell), but if the XC70 performs like my company ride has, I'll be more than happy.

Now, is that XC90 worth $105,000? It will be to someone, I'm sure. Cars are a somewhat emotional thing to many people, and I'm never surprised by what folks will pay for one of them if they become emotionally invested. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Oct 11, 17 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles.......

Totally unnecessary

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Totally unnecessary

Clearly you missed the giant oil stain under the car ;-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Who the Hell Would Pay $105K for a Volvo? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Totally unnecessary

I agree. But I wasn't the one doing the maintenance. I've since dialed it way back (the company pays for all maintenance, and usually does it in its GSE ("ground service equipment") shop or sends it to a local facility.

I'm glad they were so particular about all the scheduled stuff in the owner's manual, though (which is still in the glovebox). And for paying for the auto insurance and the free gas, too. Life is good, my friend. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply