Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I'm a reasonably strong cyclist, but haven't been around the sport that long. My past 3 bikes have all been 11 speed and I've run 10 speed discs on them, however I'm struggling to understand the desperate need for 11 speed. People in my area selling 10 speed wheels, it's like trying to sell dog shit. Very little interest as soon as people find out it's 10 speed and con't be converted. Am I missing something?

Its not about having the extra gear, its keeping up with the compatibility of everything that has been sold for the past couple of years and moving forward. Anyone who has bought a new bike has 11 speed components, thus a 10 speed wheel that won't fit an 11 speed cassette is useless without one of the above conversion hacks.

Well, depends on how much that "compatibility" is worth to you. I'm using Dark Speedwork's hack of removing one cog and it works fine. It's not worth it for me to sell my 10 speed rear Zipp wheel at a big loss in order to save less than a minute when I install it for a race to adjust the limit screw to lock out the last click, given I keep a dedicated freewheel on that wheel. It's quick, no big deal. I get the same range of usable gears with this setup in the big chainring with an 11-25 as I would with an 11 speed 11-28, and for most races that's what I care most about. For the occasional race where the lowest gear is more important, I just suck it up, put on a bigger cassette and accept I am losing a middle cog, not worth it to me to spend a lot of money for those rare races.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I'm a reasonably strong cyclist, but haven't been around the sport that long. My past 3 bikes have all been 11 speed and I've run 10 speed discs on them, however I'm struggling to understand the desperate need for 11 speed. People in my area selling 10 speed wheels, it's like trying to sell dog shit. Very little interest as soon as people find out it's 10 speed and con't be converted. Am I missing something?

Its not about having the extra gear, its keeping up with the compatibility of everything that has been sold for the past couple of years and moving forward. Anyone who has bought a new bike has 11 speed components, thus a 10 speed wheel that won't fit an 11 speed cassette is useless without one of the above conversion hacks.

Well, depends on how much that "compatibility" is worth to you. I'm using Dark Speedwork's hack of removing one cog and it works fine. It's not worth it for me to sell my 10 speed rear Zipp wheel at a big loss in order to save less than a minute when I install it for a race to adjust the limit screw to lock out the last click, given I keep a dedicated freewheel on that wheel. It's quick, no big deal. I get the same range of usable gears with this setup in the big chainring with an 11-25 as I would with an 11 speed 11-28, and for most races that's what I care most about. For the occasional race where the lowest gear is more important, I just suck it up, put on a bigger cassette and accept I am losing a middle cog, not worth it to me to spend a lot of money for those rare races.

And that's great that approach works for you, but lets get real...
Slowtwitch represents a tiny portion of the triathlete population. How many triathletes have heard of the dark speed works method??? And even if we just look at slowtwitchers, how many actually work on their own bikes, and how many of those folks have read the threads about this workaround, and how many of -those- actually want to do it?

I shit you not, most triathletes I know likely do not even have a clue as to whether their bikes are 10 speed or 11, and have no idea how to do the most basic adjustments on their bikes, literally. Brakes pads need to be adjusted, saddle height? saddle tilt? index shifting adjustment? etc all those things are trips to the LBS for most these folks. They ain't gonna be doing a dark speed works custom!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shaved 1.8mm off the rear of the 11 spd cogs to fit my 10spd wheelsets.

Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

I just switched to 11sp on my tri-bike and just bought a Lasko modified 11-28 Ultegra cassette for my 10sp HED Stinger disc. Works perfectly no issues at all, I highly recommend. Easy modification to do if you have access to a machine shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had this done to an 11 speed cassette to fit on a 2006 Zipp 182 10 speed hub.

It worked perfectly with no derailleur adjustments.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
zedzded wrote:

I just switched to 11sp on my tri-bike and just bought a Lasko modified 11-28 Ultegra cassette for my 10sp HED Stinger disc. Works perfectly no issues at all, I highly recommend. Easy modification to do if you have access to a machine shop.

Yeah I've got a couple of options with my Zipp disc and PX 90mm, but am happy to keep them 10 speed. I don't see the need for 11 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I don't see the need for 11 speed.

Yeah I didn't either until I got an E-tap, no looking back now!
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting an 11 speed cassette to a 10 speed zipp disc wheel [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
zedzded wrote:

Lasko sent me 2x modified cassettes a couple months ago. They both work fine on my 90's Zipp that probably was 8spd. I'll got a pair of flat-lander cassettes, so I'll be buying a couple more cassettes from Lasko in the coming year in order to better accommodate out-of-region hilly events.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next