Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub?
Quote | Reply
Anybody got a good solution for shoes that rub?

I love my Hokas but when I run sock-less, the stitching on the inside, around the laces, cuts up the top of my toes.

Anybody had any success putting moleskin or similar inside your shoes?

Duct tape?!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub? [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes tape does work. The ultimate solution is to get a new pair of shoes that work better sockless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do wear socks, and i do have hokas. i brought them to nationals for my first race in them----otherwise training was fine.
but walking in the days before the race started a couple of blisters. today i duct taped my big toe and the next one (separately)
which is where the blisters had started. all was well, including during the swim.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually only run sockless in shoes that don't have internal seams, so any running I have is a slightly different problem. That being said, I usually smear body glide on and around any part of the inside of a shoe that I have a problem with and that tends to do the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear socks.

Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the seams are easy to get to kt tape works great, or the cheaper version. I do that with the heels of my shoes as a preventative measure and it helps getting them on/off.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vaseline
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can try 2toms blister shield. It works really well.
The issue most have when you use a training shoe sockless is space. The sock takes up a great deal of space in the shoe. When you put a pair foot in their there is that layer of thickness in the sock that is gone. You could also go to to any Savon or the like to find a flat insole. Put that underneath your the insole in your Hoka and it will take up some of the space. Also of not that Ortholite sock liner (Insole) Hoka and everyone else uses flattens down over time. Putting the extra insole underneath might feel better too.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second skin works ok. The night before a sprint or olympic, I will coat the sensitive parts of my feet in it. Usually two coats. It looks like you have leprosy the next day but who cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I usually only run sockless in shoes that don't have internal seams, so any running I have is a slightly different problem. That being said, I usually smear body glide on and around any part of the inside of a shoe that I have a problem with and that tends to do the trick.

+1

This is what I do on the heal-cup of my shoes that used to give me blisters. I also put some on my forefoot to prevent blistering there before sliding my foot in the shoes.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to take a small piece of sandpaper in there and smooth out that area a bit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KT/Kinesio tape is my go to strategy in most cases. Either applied to the shoe if it is in an area that doesn't stretch too much (not under the laces) or directly on the foot if it is a reasonable place for that (not between the toes, etc.). It often holds up pretty well. I used a couple strips of it to replace the insoles in a pair of shoes for a month before it started to fray and pull up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rubbing is because of the shoes being to big. You could try adding in some heel grips to stop your feet from moving thats what I do! :)

Here is a link to a good pair
Last edited by: mandymandy: Oct 6, 17 2:28
Quote Reply
Re: Best Solution for Running Shoes that Rub? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
Wear socks.

Problem solved.

Boom- this guy nailed it.

To the OP- why are you running sockless? If I were to run in my training shoes with no socks, I would definitely have blisters after 3-4 miles, but do perfectly with a nice thin coolmax sock in those shoes.

If you are thinking of a race situation, maybe go for a more minimal shoe like the Nike Lunaracer. If it's for a longer distance race and you want to wear your Hokas for that reason, just take an extra 5 seconds and put some socks on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also love my Hokas. I went from the Infinite to the Arahi and the upper is softer with a smaller tongue. I am getting a blister from the seam near the arch. Why the hell did they put a seam there of all places on a support shoe for overpronators??? I put a moleskin on it, but it is a little too thick. I will try the KT to see if it works better. If it doesn't work, then I'll have to try a different brand. No issue with my Kayanos, just prefer the Hoka for the cushion and arch support more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different shoes... wear socks with your current shoes until they wear out.
Quote Reply