Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pardon my ignorance
Quote | Reply
What, exactly, is a white nationalist? And what do they want? Is it as simple as a country of just whities?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea but thought I read once where majority of them would be satisfied with simply moving out of their mom's trailer and into one of their own. Ya know...... Pride of ownership ??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose it's the news outlets' way of combining white supremacists and nationalists.

I will say, today's events were troubling, but I'm disturbed (though not surprised) at how one sided the coverage is and placing of blame.

Agree with them or not, the "white nationalists" had every right to come and protest today. Yes, they came armed and ready for a fight. You know why? Because the counter protesters were going to be there to pick a fight with them.

Fortunately, most public officials have denounced violence from both sides, but if you watch the news anchors and talking heads only, you'd think the Nazi party and KKK came to Charleston and just started rioting and looting unprovoked.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive read a little more. They look pretty badass with their dollar store tiki torches.

But basically racist idiots. And now someone is a murderer because he plowed his car into them. Talk about flushing your life down the toilet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Racist Idiots' is close enough, though perhaps an insult to idiots. Given it's a tiny fraction of the population I'd prefer they got no media coverage/attention and they don't deserve a counter protest. Then again, they don't deserve air but it's a free country and they can demonstrate if they so choose.

For what it's worth, they've always been around - this is not a new or political phenomenon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The car was driven into the counter-protesters, not the racist idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
No idea but thought I read once where majority of them would be satisfied with simply moving out of their mom's trailer and into one of their own. Ya know...... Pride of ownership ??

Do you know what that same white nationalist's definition of "augmentation" is?

When they blow up their single wide into a double wide! (Possibly due to a moonshine still mishap or meth lab gone awry)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I will say, today's events were troubling, but I'm disturbed (though not surprised) at how one sided the coverage is and placing of blame.

That tends to happen when one side gets one killed and 19 injured and the other side doesn't.

Granted, that's based on initial evidence, and could change. But it sure looks, initially, like the racist side drove a car into the anti-racist side.
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
slowguy wrote:

That tends to happen when one side gets one killed and 19 injured and the other side doesn't.

Granted, that's based on initial evidence, and could change. But it sure looks, initially, like the racist side drove a car into the anti-racist side.

Impossible. I've been told on here that only crazy lefties do that sort of thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Alex Fields Jr. has been identified as the the driver who drove his Dodge Challenger into a street congested with counter protestor pedestrians in Charlottesville, Virginia earlier today. His alleged action led to the death of a yet to be identified 32 year old woman and several critical injuries.
According to EverPedia, Fields Jr. is a “resident of Maumee, Ohio​. He is registered to vote in Lucas County, Ohio​ and put his party affiliation as Republican]​In addition, James is registered as the owner of a Gray 2010 Dodge Challenger​ that ran into protesters at the Unite the Right​ rally.​” He also is reported to have served in in the US military. From August 18th to December 11th, 2015, James was listed as an Active Duty Service Member in the United States Army​.
Earlier today the Charlottesville Chief of Police announced that they had Mr. Fields in custody and while charges were pending, they were investigating this as a homicide.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can feed your brain in excess to the point of brainwashing yourself so easily with the internet now. Pic anything and let er rip. The moment you think you are not vulnerable is when you are most at risk.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One "source" says the police do not think this was intentional. That doesn't mean he won't be charged, but it certainly changes the nature of the charges.

http://coed.com/...er-protest-injuries/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Your link says that a source said he was scared after his car was swarmed. That brings up an interesting question. If he had a right to drive on the street and people were swarming his car to the point that he felt afraid for his safety - could he be justified in accelerating his car in an attempt to get out of danger?
Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Interesting. Your link says that a source said he was scared after his car was swarmed. That brings up an interesting question. If he had a right to drive on the street and people were swarming his car to the point that he felt afraid for his safety - could he be justified in accelerating his car in an attempt to get out of danger?

I think they meant he fled out of fear. I THINK the source is saying he lost control of his car somehow and hit the car that hit the people. His car was then swarmed, which caused him to high tail it out of there. Again, this is just my interpretation of what the "source" is saying, not my theory of what happened.

Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to NBC News, Fields was just booked for second degree murder. Second degree is intentional, but not with premeditation. So, it does not appear the source in the link I posted previously was correct.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
According to NBC News, Fields was just booked for second degree murder. Second degree is intentional, but not with premeditation. So, it does not appear the source in the link I posted previously was correct.

In Virginia, I don't think 2nd Degree murder requires intent. For example, felony murder is 2nd degree murder. So if you were committing a robbery and someone accidentally dies as a result of your felony act, it would be 2nd degree murder.

In fact, I think there are 1st degree murder scenarios that wouldn't require intent, in Virginia. Not sure how that stacks up with other States, but in VA, I think Capital Murder always requires intent and premeditation, but not necessarily 1st or 2nd degree.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, kind of odd that he apparently was in the Army for only about 4 months.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Is there a tendency to overcharge in highly public cases. I.e. it calms the public and then if it is really an accident the charges are reduced after a long trial or the person is found innocent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

In Virginia, I don't think 2nd Degree murder requires intent. For example, felony murder is 2nd degree murder. So if you were committing a robbery and someone accidentally dies as a result of your felony act, it would be 2nd degree murder.

In fact, I think there are 1st degree murder scenarios that wouldn't require intent, in Virginia. Not sure how that stacks up with other States, but in VA, I think Capital Murder always requires intent and premeditation, but not necessarily 1st or 2nd degree.

Ah! You are correct. Good catch.

§ 18.2-32. First and second degree murder defined; punishment.
Murder, other than capital murder, by poison, lying in wait, imprisonment, starving, or by any willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing, or in the commission of, or attempt to commit, arson, rape, forcible sodomy, inanimate or animate object sexual penetration, robbery, burglary or abduction, except as provided in § 18.2-31, is murder of the first degree, punishable as a Class 2 felony.
All murder other than capital murder and murder in the first degree is murder of the second degree and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional facility for not less than five nor more than forty years.

Quote Reply
Re: Pardon my ignorance [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
JSA wrote:

Is there a tendency to overcharge in highly public cases. I.e. it calms the public and then if it is really an accident the charges are reduced after a long trial or the person is found innocent.

Yes, there is a tendency to do so. He was booked on second degree murder, but will not be arraigned (charged) until Monday. But slowguy caught that second degree murder in Virginia does not require intent. See the statute I posted above. The VA statute is a little unusual, but not unheard of.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What, exactly, is a white nationalist?

Someone who isn't a democrat. Doesn't actually have to be a white person but that helps.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived there for 13 years. That is a one way between main and water on 4 th Ave. The car was observed idling on the far side of main, only way it could hit these speeds.
The driving was intentional, even if the death wasn't

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Last edited by: jriosa: Aug 12, 17 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Also, kind of odd that he apparently was in the Army for only about 4 months.
Must have been a real gem if the US Army didn't want to keep him after only 4 months.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
What, exactly, is a white nationalist? And what do they want? Is it as simple as a country of just whities?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/...m-explained.amp.html

Nytimes attempt to explain white nationalism and distinguish it from white supremacy:

"White nationalism, he said, is the belief that national identity should be built around white ethnicity, and that white people should therefore maintain both a demographic majority and dominance of the nation’s culture and public life.

So, like white supremacy, white nationalism places the interests of white people over those of other racial groups. White supremacists and white nationalists both believe that racial discrimination should be incorporated into law and policy.

Some will see the distinction between white nationalism and white supremacy as a semantic sleight of hand. But although many white supremacists are also white nationalists, and vice versa, Professor Kaufmann says the terms are not synonyms: White supremacy is based on a racist belief that white people are innately superior to people of other races; white nationalism is about maintaining political and economic dominance, not just a numerical majority or cultural hegemony.
Quote Reply

Prev Next