Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"eSports" in the Olympics?
Quote | Reply
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.e3052a99535c

"eSports"? Really?

First of all, whoever decided to spell it "eSports" is an ass.

Second of all, there are 145 million spectators who watch someone else play video games? That's deeply pathetic. Pathetic squared.

On the upside, parents who worry that their kids don't do anything all day except play video games can take heart- they might be raising a future Olympic "athlete."

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: "eSports" in the Olympics? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the upside, parents who worry that their kids don't do anything all day except play video games can take heart- they might be raising a future Olympic "athlete."

I can already hear kids fighting with their parents trying to get them to sleep, that they have to do a few more hours of training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot me now.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, considering the Olympics have been a farce for quite a few years now it only seems fitting.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there talk about adding Poker to the Olympics a few years back. This at least would be better than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't that long ago when they started adding gen X game type events but this is a bit much.
Quote Reply
Re: "eSports" in the Olympics? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
It wasn't that long ago when they started adding gen X game type events but this is a bit much.
Slopestyle is the worst.

Watching someone play PAC-MAN would be more entertaining.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. WaPo = Bezos Post = Amazon Post. Amazon owns Twitch.tv which is the largest "eSports" streaming platform in the world by a long shot.
2. Some of these games take amazing amounts of skill and teamwork. No, it doesn't require any physical ability but, IMO, the skill involved shouldn't be casually dismissed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jumping the Shark the Olympics have
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they going to do drug testing on them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old men step in. "Damn kids! I don't understand this! EVERYTHING STOP CHANGING!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the olympics are for "athletes ". Maybe one day esports could be considered a sport. However I don't see how the IOC could ever consider it athletic.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: "eSports" in the Olympics? [Watown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much on a par with treating poker as a "sport," imo.

Here's one thing I want to know about televised poker (what a sad phrase): Why are the players allowed to wear hats and hoodies and sunglasses and so on and so forth? To the degree poker is a game of skill, isn't most that skill based in reading the other players and not letting them read you? Doesn't a table full of faceless players who look like the unabomber strip the game of most of the skill involved?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply