Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties
Quote | Reply
not the 1960s. and not the 60s (people wearing togas). the battle of men in their 60s.

i first raced scott tinley in 1981, the first year the ironman was held in kona. now i'm racing him again, and i'm going to unleash fire and fury on him like the world has never seen. further, i'm going to flip him like a cheese omelet at his own race.

and i invite any other 60yo men who want to get whupped (ahem, dave, cough, cough, dave).

but i can't train very much anymore and specifically i can't run very much so it'll be short course. however i'll give all you oldie von moldies 2 chances, one chance to get whupped (sprint tri on saturday); and a second chance to redeem yourself and get whupped again the next day for the short course MTB triathlon.

in fact i'm also going to race the road bike hillclimb friday night, and by sunday i'll be tired of winning - tired like the world has never seen before.

so there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
not the 1960s. and not the 60s (people wearing togas). the battle of men in their 60s.

i first raced scott tinley in 1981, the first year the ironman was held in kona. now i'm racing him again, and i'm going to unleash fire and fury on him like the world has never seen. further, i'm going to flip him like a cheese omelet at his own race.

and i invite any other 60yo men who want to get whupped (ahem, dave, cough, cough, dave).

but i can't train very much anymore and specifically i can't run very much so it'll be short course. however i'll give all you oldie von moldies 2 chances, one chance to get whupped (sprint tri on saturday); and a second chance to redeem yourself and get whupped again the next day for the short course MTB triathlon.

in fact i'm also going to race the road bike hillclimb friday night, and by sunday i'll be tired of winning - tired like the world has never seen before.

so there.

I just hope for the sake of the women and children you guys aren't wearing speedos! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

i'm borrowing kenny souza's. fire and fury, baby. fire and fury.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i'm borrowing kenny souza's. fire and fury, baby. fire and fury.

You are a brave man..... don't forget the Oakleys!

I am not 60 (yet), but that is some good trash-talk for that age.
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 8, 17 22:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  There are some things you should know about Slowman and most of them are good. Though I'd never say it in a public forum he's not a bad guy for someone who hides in the psuedo mountains of SoCal and operates as a Great Oz behind the Slow-Curtain of a thinly-veiled datapshere. But against some odds, Slowman is a stand-up dude--as we say--but will go down in the 23rd running of the oldest offroad triathlon in the galaxy. ST accepts said 60-challenge and extends it to anyone who is not tempted to the Tennessee Tatoo brandfest on the same weekend. http://www.active.com/...thlons-2017-34749622
ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to beat a dead horse but did the registration really have to be with Active???

I am seeing a $6.39 'processing fee' for the $75 sprint race. Unless my math is off that's an 8.5% fee and if you need a day USAT membership the $75 race will actually cost $96.39. No matter how much winning you get done Active will be the clear champion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race.

Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

But, your post in injury, body status is why so many older folks are now doing the sprint. That is basically all they can do, starting with the run.

I first need to see if I can get through Penticton healthy. And after doing the LC Tri, my recovery might be such that even doing a sprint maybe too much.
I really do want to come down and support Tim. I also would love to have the honor to say we raced together, and I could care less who "wins".
So is Mark going to race? How about Scott?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn! First time I've been too young for something in a long time!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

Come race anyways. You young folks can kill us

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse but did the registration really have to be with Active???

I am seeing a $6.39 'processing fee' for the $75 sprint race. Unless my math is off that's an 8.5% fee and if you need a day USAT membership the $75 race will actually cost $96.39. No matter how much winning you get done Active will be the clear champion.

good stuff guys!

I tried a small online registration company as an alternative last year and with similar numbers they came in at all of 13cents cheaper. a grand total of one person used the alternative registration option.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I see the making of the thread entitled:

"H20Dave defeats Empfiled and Tinley off a sub 40 min 10K and crappy swim-bike"

Why don't you just change the title of this thread now and get it over with?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read somewhere that ST has had a hip replacement.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race. Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

dave, you've been throwing down for some years now, calling me out to drive TWICE the distance to your back yard. so, here we have a race, up in the beautiful sierras, midway between you and me, in the tall trees where you like to race, during the best sierra summer we've had in years because we had the best winter we've had in years.

here's your chance, big boy! you can take the big man down! the big enchilada! (oh, and you can take tinley down too.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

come on across, david! i know you, and your problem is you're just not busy enough. you just have too much free time on your hands. you ought to volunteer more!

anyway, here you go. come on out and see if you throw down a time that will scare us in the older AGs; send a signal that fire and fury is coming our way once you age up!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Having a real hard time wanting to drive 450 miles for a 1 hour race. Plus, as I always will say, most folks can fake a sprint race, while doing an Olympic one has to be in shape.

dave, you've been throwing down for some years now, calling me out to drive TWICE the distance to your back yard. so, here we have a race, up in the beautiful sierras, midway between you and me, in the tall trees where you like to race, during the best sierra summer we've had in years because we had the best winter we've had in years.

here's your chance, big boy! you can take the big man down! the big enchilada! (oh, and you can take tinley down too.)

Dan, actually, your comments make me want to do it less. I race for fun. I never race to "beat" someone. I know I am not that good. I just have been lucky with lots of hard work that for me, I have done okay. I would be honored to race with you and all the other legends in our sport. To even be talked about could I beat someone is fun. But what fun, you are not the athlete you used to be.

I have been having the wife work basically 7 days a week for ages with all my racing this year. I am not sure after the penticton trip, etc., that this is going to happen. Yea, she would do for me, but, ... She does not even get off work until 5, and since I go to bed at 7, driving at night is not my thing.

So we shall see, but the more this becomes something other than friends having fun, the less I have any desire to "race".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dan, actually, your comments make me want to do it less. I race for fun. I never race to "beat" someone

alrighty, dave. but you know where i'll be if you want to have some fun with the old men.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, actually, your comments make me want to do it less. I race for fun. I never race to "beat" someone

Allow me to butt in, hey Dave, "lighten up bro "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone willing to do Periscope updates so we can all watch this epic battle?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Tinley and me: Battle of the Sixties [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

i know ONE way you can watch this epic battle!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

i know ONE way you can watch this epic battle!

My excuse is 5.45 times better than Dave's. It's 2453 miles from my house to the race site.

Looks like a great weekend of racing. Sprint races certainly aren't FAKE NEWS as I'm sure the ITU elites can testify. Have fun!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 9, 17 8:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darn again - You actually talked me into it , but I went to register and it is the same weekend at 70.3WC . . . so, can I have a raincheck to visit?

FYI - over on this end of the country, you would be invited to Hincapie Grand Fondo on 10/21 . . . Let's just say that we have an elite groups of insiders that you would enjoy. Great event.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Slowman wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dan, actually, your comments make me want to do it less. I race for fun. I never race to "beat" someone. I know I am not that good. I just have been lucky with lots of hard work that for me, I have done okay. I would be honored to race with you and all the other legends in our sport. To even be talked about could I beat someone is fun. But what fun, you are not the athlete you used to be.

I have been having the wife work basically 7 days a week for ages with all my racing this year. I am not sure after the penticton trip, etc., that this is going to happen. Yea, she would do for me, but, ... She does not even get off work until 5, and since I go to bed at 7, driving at night is not my thing.

So we shall see, but the more this becomes something other than friends having fun, the less I have any desire to "race".

Snowflake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure wish I was closer. I'd love to bring Bill L and have an even older guy race with y'all. I may still have a pair of ST shorts in the closet.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to get up there and take it (You & Scott) on. Unfortunately, I've already signed up for Pacific Coast Tri.
Besides, I'd have to practice my backwards running technique to watch how far behind you two would be! :p

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Darn again - You actually talked me into it , but I went to register and it is the same weekend at 70.3WC . . . so, can I have a raincheck to visit?

FYI - over on this end of the country, you would be invited to Hincapie Grand Fondo on 10/21 . . . Let's just say that we have an elite groups of insiders that you would enjoy. Great event.

hincapie GF. can't go on 10/21: interbike. but i'll get out there. and i'll give you a raincheck out here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next