Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT Age Group Champs thread
Quote | Reply
So who from ST is going? Event and age group? Insights for newbies?

I'm doing the Olympic, 55-59. Never done a champ event before. Never flown to an event before. Never had to use a bike travel case before. Never had to go thru the thought process of "take only the tools and stuff you absolutely need" before.

I bought an Airport Ninja bike bag last month. I picked that one because it really does beat the over-size luggage criteria. To my surprise, they did it in camo for me. The beauty of it being camo is that I'm retired military so I'm only a decent haircut away from appearing "active duty" which often gets a person cut a little additional slack. I did a complete disassembly of the bike last weekend to do a test pack in the Ninja bag. Bike only BARELY fits in their "standard" size case tho. Had to take both rear dropouts off. That was a darn near thing. I'll be fabbing up some kind of brace to go between the rear triangles to ensure they don't get crushed.

I had to play some games re. air pumps since my old Zipp disc requires a crackpipe. My new, cheap "travel" bike pump has no gauge. I'm hoping that race morning I can borrow someone's "real" pump and stick the crackpipe in that.

The rules guidance make a big deal out of always riding to the far right, and never passing on the right. I'm not that strong of a swimmer tho, so historically I have to pass an awful lot of folks on the ride. The early stages of the ride can be chaos with all sorts of not-strong riders all over the place. So it doesn't always work to pass them on the left. Often there's groups of 2 or more so I just zoom by as best I can. Many a race there was an instance where the only safe thing to do was cross the center line because folks in front of me were doing oddball things and I had a rapid closure rate. Gonna have to be more careful about all this I guess.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Aug 6, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was no shortage of bike pumps around last year. They had a handful of them in transition in corners and near the loo. The announcer was also constantly asking "does anybody have a <whatever> that a fellow athlete needs?" It ranged from cleats, to helmets, to Di2 battery, etc. I've never heard so many of those announcements.

The heats were pretty spaced out last year as well. I didn't see much clumping of riders at all. There were even a few times I felt lonely. Passing was never an issue.

I didn't care for the lake swim. I felt like I was in a crockpot and came out of the swim basted. That said, it was my first non-wetsuit swim.

You'll have fun. I'm not going this year. Last year was my first and it was a great experience and very competitive. And hot (I had a very late start).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went last year and it was fun and a good venue overall. The lake swim was okay, but water was the warmest I've ever swam in in any race, and just seemed long, and I'm a swimmer! Loved the bike course, rolling hills and very green. Run was miserably hot, humid and ugly, though the turn around in the baseball stadium is cool. Very well organized and very competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Oly 40-44M.

Flying in late Wed. night. It's my first time traveling by air to a race too. Figure going on Wed. Will give me all of Thursday to recover from anything I failed to pack.

Have never tried to cram my Thule hard case into a car before. A bit nervous it won't fit. Not looking forward to dealing with that late at night at the rental car agency. Fingers crossed.

PM if you end up needing tools or pump with gauge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with others you don't need a pump, plenty around. Last year this was my first big race ever, I had only done locally organized local races. It was crazy for me seeing so many bikes in transition all of which were newer and more expensive than mine (I ride a 2004 frame with a newer groupset that I put on).

The weather this year should be a lot cooler than last year, which is very important. Last year ambulances were taking people away with heat exhaustion. I wasn't very far away from needing this myself. It was hot, hot, hot!

With the run course change and the promise for not running out of things at the aid station and the cooler weather predicted for Saturday, it should be better.

I too am a slow swimmer and a faster biker. I passed loads of people and it wasn't a problem. If someone is hanging on the left, just yell out blocking or move right or something. I had to do it a couple times, but honestly it wasn't a big deal. The one place you have to be careful passing is on the one uphill because bikes are flying downhill coming the opposite way and need space so even when there are slow bikers don't get close to the yellow line when passing on the uphill.

On the downhill coming back, if it is wet this year and it might be, that curve at the bottom of the downhill could be nasty with rim brakes on carbon wheels (and please disc brake naysayers, please note this is an A race in which one might need better braking - it is more common than folks think).

Aside from them running out of stuff last year at the run aid stations, it was a very well organized race. I saw no bike packs which means passing is easier (another advantage of good bike course marshalling besides the fairness).

The water was warm, but I didn't mind it at all.

My best advice to you would be to practice going down the hill on the bike course a few times (heading south/returning to T2) to get used to it. If it is wet, you will really want to have a feel for the hill. Other than that, enjoy the experience, you are swimming, biking and running just like any other race, which is what we train for and what we love doing!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there racing M45-49 Oly but age up eligible. It's my first AG nationals as well. Fortunately I am within driving distance so will arrive Friday AM and have tools and floor pump with me so PM if you need something. Staying near the lake/airport at Hampton Inn.

It's a little early but the forecast is for cooler weather (70's to low 80's) so that will be nice. Unfortunately the lake is already at 86 degrees. I believe that they changed the run course this year and not going into TD Ameritrade ball park this year.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the next day or so I'll PM my cell # to everyone that seems to be going to the event. That way we can put together a SMS group text because friends don't let friends drink alone.

I started this in college so when I think of triathlon, I think of tables full of buddies surrounding beer and pizza, laughing at each other's outrageous lies. Just shift to alcohol free at midnight before race morning.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

The rules guidance make a big deal out of always riding to the far right, and never passing on the right. I'm not that strong of a swimmer tho, so historically I have to pass an awful lot of folks on the ride. The early stages of the ride can be chaos with all sorts of not-strong riders all over the place. So it doesn't always work to pass them on the left. Often there's groups of 2 or more so I just zoom by as best I can. Many a race there was an instance where the only safe thing to do was cross the center line because folks in front of me were doing oddball things and I had a rapid closure rate. Gonna have to be more careful about all this I guess.

I'm racing M55-59 this year and was M50-54 last year. I was DFL last in the AG out of the water and passed a lot of people on the bike. There's enough room to pass so don't worry about it. The only dicey part was the "bump" around the 6.5 mile mark. Last year there were a quite a few people who dismounted and walked the climb. This caused three across going up (walkers passed by slow bikers passed by strong bikers). At one point was a center line violation at the top that almost cause a head-on with the leaders descending. Other than that, there should be any issues with passing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be racing both the Olympic and Sprint M35-39.

This will be my second national championships, but first one in Omaha. Looking forward to the race and the much cooler temperatures than last year's race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you staying? Close to downtown? Got any questions about Omaha let me know.

Carter Lake was 78.X tonight. Forecast doesn't show much above 80 this week with lows in the 60s overnight.

Run course has a fresh coat of asphalt.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [rplong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for this year Olympic and Sprint M55-59, had to withdraw last minute last year because of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, took 9 months to completely recover but I'm ready to go. Staying at Holiday Inn Express in Council Bluffs. 12 hour drive, going to split into two days and arrive Friday by noon. Looking forward to the cool weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remove your rear derailleur and hanger... that's my bike packing tip and something between the dropouts is a good idea too. I pack everything I took the bike apart with. I have a Lezyne travel pump... it's a good balance between a full size pump and frame pump.

There will be plenty of pumps around Omaha otherwise... hotels are loaded with athletes, you can even bum a pump there.

I didn't find the bike course too crowded last year, but you will pass lots of people most likely and yes.. on the left unless it makes sense not to. Sometimes you've got people hanging left for whatever reason with an open right.... aka blocking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympic 35-39M

This will be my first Nats.

I will be driving down, arriving Thursday night, staying at the Double Tree.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [BTEEZY28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hitting the ground Thur late morning. Staying at Country Inn and Suites.

PMing for cell #'s is too hard. If you want on the ST Group Txt list, email me your cell #. scott (at) gress (dot) org. I've already sent one text blast to folks on the list. Next one will go out tomorrow morning.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to Milwaukee. That was a blast. Did not enter any qualifying races these past two years, because the nats are in Omaha. People get the hell out of Omaha, not go there on purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there too. Raced Milwaukee 2 years ago and despite my DNF because of my bike chain splitting in 2 about 5 miles into the bike, I've decided to give it another shot. I'll be racing Olympic M35-39.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Went to Milwaukee. That was a blast. Did not enter any qualifying races these past two years, because the nats are in Omaha. People get the hell out of Omaha, not go there on purpose.

As opposed to Milwaukee? I guess your shit out of luck the next two years it will be in Cleveland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to make this year's race due to ongoing back recovery. I could be competitive in the sprint but not worth the 8 hours drive without also doing the Oly on Saturday.

I hope it's not as hot for y'all this year.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, and it's my first nats. Doing standard distance, M35-39. Someone has to bring up the rear of that group, so glad to be of service.

Hope everyone has a great race!

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on h20 temp. Wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
Any word on h20 temp. Wetsuit?

Right now it's borderline (temp is 78.6). Given the forecast, the bet is wetsuit legal. I'm packing mine, just in case.

If you're a Facebooker, follow the event page.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time all around (nationals, flying with bike). I'll be in the 40-44M group. Not used to starting so late in the morning, so trying to figure out what to do with myself for two hours post Transition close. Call me crazy, but I'm flying in Friday morning, so that adds even more stress. I'm sure I will be watching all of you from behind in the distance! Have a great race all.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [bgjeffery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I had a late start too... I got there a couple minutes before transition opened, set up and went back to the hotel for breakfast and came back to the site about an hour before my start.

If it rains like the forecast is looking like it will... that lot where we park could be a train wreck.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a contingency plan for parking if it rains - it's explained on the site I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
They have a contingency plan for parking if it rains - it's explained on the site I believe.
I wonder what that is... do you have a link to the contingency plan? The chance of rain is reducing on Saturday which is great, but would nice to know before hand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next