Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMCDA Expected Water Temperature
Quote | Reply
It's still 6 weeks before IMCDA, however can someone advise what the "average" lake water temperature for August 27 is? I'm trying to determine whether it's expected to be a wetsuit swim or not.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Expected Water Temperature [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's always expected to be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the long persistent heat wave has taken its toll. The water temp this morning was 75.3. On July 7th it was 72.6. The cutoff is 76.1. Forecast is sunny and 90+ for at least the next week. If I was a betting man, I'd say it's not going to be a wetsuit swim.

I normally have my tri suit (LG Course M2) rolled up around the waist and pull it over the shoulders in T1. I might have to test it out and see if it's got enough flexibility in the shoulder to wear it zipped up in the swim. That or find a cheap used swimskin.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the WTC will find water that is less than 76 on race day...guaranteed. And I doubt it will be that hard...it was smoking hot leading into the 2016 affair and the coolest place all weekend was that large body of water.
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Expected Water Temperature [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates. I've been concerned about this heat spell and what the water temperature might be. It's good to hear that the temperature is still below the wetsuit limit despite the heat wave, and hopefully the cooler night temperatures will keep it there. I'm waiting to register until it's confirmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I've been concerned about this heat spell and what the water temperature might be. It's good to hear that the temperature is still below the wetsuit limit despite the heat wave, and hopefully the cooler night temperatures will keep it there. I'm waiting to register until it's confirmed.

You're going to race an IM based on whether or not it's wetsuit legal?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:

I'd be more concerned about the heat/ wind on the hills
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Expected Water Temperature [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I think I'll leave my race wheels at home due to the hills and expected winds. I'm not concerned about the bike and run, but 2.4 miles without a wetsuit has me worried- as much as I've tried I still suck at swimming.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per the Ironman website "for our U.S.A. Triathlon sanctioned events IRONMAN reserves the right to allow athletes to participate in the non-competitive wetsuit wave for water temperatures 76.2F/24.55C and up to 83.8F/28.8C."

Even with the heatwave I don't see it getting anywhere near 83.8 so there would still be an option to wear a wetsuit

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IMCDA Expected Water Temperature [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about water temp I'd be more concerned about the water snakes, freaky!!!

Proud Kiwami Ambassador/Team Member
ask me anything about:
https://kiwamitri.com
Quote Reply