Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ozark
Quote | Reply
New Netflix series, just watched the first episode and thought it was really good. Looks very promising. Starts out slow for about 15 minutes and then the shit gets real in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Re: Ozark [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought about starting it tonight. I'll give it a shot.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ozark [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Thought about starting it tonight. I'll give it a shot.

I'm on episode 3 will probably burn through this weekend

Its above average right now; not great but above average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be interesting. Certainly better than "Glow" which I struggled through despite being a casual "fan" back in the 1980's.
Quote Reply
Re: Ozark [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched episode 1 last night. I enjoyed it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed

2-3 a little slow. 4 good again. On 5 now

Early but promising
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is next after Last Chance U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Episode 7 - Come on! Everyone who has ever worn one knows it is virtually impossible to drown while wearing a wetsuit. You sure as shit are not going to sink to the bottom of the lake, even if you wanted to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started this week, good enough to give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. I thought the same thing.

Just finished last night. Overall good. Set up for another season. I will continue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Episode 7 - Come on! Everyone who has ever worn one knows it is virtually impossible to drown while wearing a wetsuit. You sure as shit are not going to sink to the bottom of the lake, even if you wanted to.

You can't let shit like that bother you or you'll never enjoy anything.

That's what I kept telling myself through the latest Planet of the Apes movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

I disagree. I am willing to suspend belief but that scene was dumb and added nothing to the ending of the show. She is an experienced swimmer in a wetsuit. What happened? She got disoriented? Why? How? She sinks to the bottom of the lake? Why? Then she snaps out of it while sutting at the bottom??? Why put her in a wetsuit? More importantly, why do any of the scene? It made no sense and added nothing to the ending of the episode.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

I disagree. I am willing to suspend belief but that scene was dumb and added nothing to the ending of the show. She is an experienced swimmer in a wetsuit. What happened? She got disoriented? Why? How? She sinks to the bottom of the lake? Why? Then she snaps out of it while sutting at the bottom??? Why put her in a wetsuit? More importantly, why do any of the scene? It made no sense and added nothing to the ending of the episode.

I don't disagree. I just watched the episode last night. Seemed like the whole point of it was the kids are "drowning" as the parents are leading their life into the shitter.

But the swim scene itself made no sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

I don't disagree. I just watched the episode last night. Seemed like the whole point of it was the kids are "drowning" as the parents are leading their life into the shitter.

But the swim scene itself made no sense.

I agree it made little sense. I think she was role playing a suicide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My position on movies/tv is that I am wholly capable of suspending all disbelief for a good story. But, a good story demands good writing. To that end, every story gets to set its own "rules." But, once set, the rules have to be adhered to throughout the story. Anything less is sloppy writing.

So, what are the "rules" in Ozark? Well, a few things we know for certain: 1) the parents realize they are in danger, 2) the parents realize the kids are at risk, 3) the parents are committed to protecting the kids, 4) the parents are over-protective at times, and 5) the parents worry about the kids a lot.

So, what happened in this episode?

1) Wife gets a visit from drug boss's enforcer who mentions the kids by name and the school they attend.
2) Daughter runs away and freaks out parents.
3) Marty is adamant that Charlotte cannot go to live in Chicago and needs to be close.
4) Bird runs afoul of Snell adding a new threat to the family.

In light of all of that, Marty tells Charlotte - yeah, go ahead and swim by yourself at night! Go for it!

Really??? Most likely, all of us have done a lot of open water swimming. Many have done IM training and racing. So, we can handle ourselves in open water. What are the two primary rules for open water swimming? 1. Don't swim alone. 2. Don't swim at night (without significant safeguards at least).

In light of all that happened that day, the parents tell Charlotte to go ahead and swim alone in the dark. Really???

Now - if it added to the episode or scene, ok, take a little liberty. But, it didn't. Instead of saying - what a great episode! I am focused on the needless and ridiculous aspect of the final scene.

Follow you own rules!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
My position on movies/tv is that I am wholly capable of suspending all disbelief for a good story. But, a good story demands good writing. To that end, every story gets to set its own "rules." But, once set, the rules have to be adhered to throughout the story. Anything less is sloppy writing.

Yet, you managed to stick with 'Fear The Walking Dead' longer then I think anyone else on this forum!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wish I hadn't watched the trailer before I watched the show. Made the realtor and his mom's fight less surprising......

Overall I am satisfied. Especially the manner in which people die.

Just enough hint of "justified" to make me nostalgic.
Quote Reply
Re: Ozark [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yet, you managed to stick with 'Fear The Walking Dead' longer then I think anyone else on this forum!

My gawd that show is awful! If you go back to that thread, the failure to adhere to their own rules was one of my biggest gripes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
In light of all of that, Marty tells Charlotte - yeah, go ahead and swim by yourself at night! Go for it!

I was expecting her to nearly get run down by a boat as they warned her about swimming out past the first buoy because of that danger in a previous scene and then they showed her swimming past one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

I was expecting her to nearly get run down by a boat as they warned her about swimming out past the first buoy because of that danger in a previous scene and then they showed her swimming past one.

That's exactly what I thought. Or I thought she might be snatched from the water, which I thought was possible, but not likely.

It would have been an interesting twist if the pastor got drunk and clipped her in his boat.

But, what actually happened made no sense at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Episode 9 - come on! What kind of commie liberal bullshit is that???

Special needs kid goes into a "Walmart" and buys a Ruger Mini 14 and gets it, after checking the box that he is buying for someone else. If that wasn't bad enough, the Mini 14 magically becomes full auto when the son shoots it???????

Then a fed cracks a guy with a beer bottle in a crowded bar, draws his gun, and shoots the tv??????????

That's son serious anti gun propaganda in that episode!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Episode 9 - come on! What kind of commie liberal bullshit is that???

Special needs kid goes into a "Walmart" and buys a Ruger Mini 14 and gets it, after checking the box that he is buying for someone else. If that wasn't bad enough, the Mini 14 magically becomes full auto when the son shoots it???????

Then a fed cracks a guy with a beer bottle in a crowded bar, draws his gun, and shoots the tv??????????

That's son serious anti gun propaganda in that episode![/quot

Dock death was cool tho
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPOILER ALERT, don't read past here if you don't want my opinion of JSA's posts.

So should I be mad that you spoiled the show for me, or thankful that I won't waste time watching it?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Ozark [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing I have said is integral to the plot. Despite the anti gun bullshit and the ridiculous wetsuit scene, it is a good series. Not the best, but worth the time.

Jason Bateman is awesome. But I cannot shake the feeling that Laura Linney is too old for him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good show. Yes lots of things that didn't make sense. Wetsuit scene (what was the purpose of that scene anyway?); automatic weapons at the super mart, and a number of others. But overall, good suspense and a number of interesting characters.

BUT JSA, you did spoil it for me. Every time Laura Linney was in bad lighting, I was thinking, "JSA was right." So I was thinking of you way too much during the show. The age really showed in the flashback episode. But I still like her.

For fans of Ozark, I raise you Magic City on Netflix. It stars, I think, that guy with the bat on TWD, but he's great on Magic City, loved him.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next