Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix-Van Niekerk
Quote | Reply

This IAAF World's in London is supposed to be Bolt's retirement party! The start list is up posted by season's best that you can get from the IAAF page: https://www.iaaf.org/...reviews-2017-world-c

Just posting on some of my favourite events/atheltes that I am looking forward to:

100m F: Elaine Thompson should be the queen. Will Daphne Schippers (NL) be best of the rest?

100m: 21 year old Christian Coleman has run the season's best with a 9.82. Andre de Grasse, a year older pushed Bolt "a bit" last year at Rio. The young guys are coming on strong. I still want Bolt to go out with this win. Let's see. Gatlin on deck to push all these guys.

200m: Interesting that the fastest 200m times this year have been posted out of the continent of Africa: Van Niekerk 19.84 and Maklawa (from Botswana) 19.79. I am hoping our local boy Andre de Grasse can push these guys and Bolt for a medal

400m F: Is there a more technically beautiful runner than Allyson Felix. This seems like her race to lose

400m: I'm going for Van Niekerk all the way. Love this guy's running form. Makwala from Botswana posted a 43.70 this year. These Afrcians are fast

4x100: Season fastest times don't mean a ton since you never have the fast guys running together for their national team for the big meets. This should be the domain of a massive USA vs Jamaica smackdown....Great Britian and Canada have the two fastest times this year. Women's competition should be a Jamaica vs USA. I love the relays (more so the 4x100, but 4x400m is awesome....look out for Botswana men in the 4x400 to post a sub 3 min time).

Jumping up to the 5000m, the Ethopians Edris and Barega posted 12:55 times this year. Will they take it out in a drag race and try to wear down Mo Farah, or let his sit in for a sprint and give him the win at home? Of course the problem with this plan is that Mo's 5000m PB is 12:53....so he's going to sit in on all you idiots and still try to outkick you. In the 10000m Mo has run the 3rd fastest time this season. Rupp is on deck in this event. From Canada, we have Mohammad Ahmad who has been close to the front with all these guys....let's see what he can do in the 5k/10K double

OK, let's get the banter going since the Tour and Wimbledon are over the Vuelta has not started, US Open is still on the horizon, there is no Euro or FIFA World Cup this summer, Swimming worlds are done today, gotta wait for doped out NFL and Euro Pro Football till Sep and otherwise I am stuck with Nascar and Baseball...well on a plus note Tim Raines hits Cooperstown today.....GO ROCK!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 4, 17 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am really excited. I was watching pretty much every Diamond League meet in the past two years, checking letsrun daily etc. Swim worlds were beautiful, but watching sport is even greater when you know the protagonists.

As a slowtwitch fibre guy I have an aptitude for the endurance events. But I am also more and more interested in the sprint and field action.

While it is always a blast to see Farahs last lap, I am not sure if he can come through one more time. I mean in 8 times out of ten he will still do it. But still chances are intact for the africans. But it needs a gutsy race.
I hope one of the Robertson twins out of New Zealand can place high. They are cool guys with a crazy story.

Bolt, the showman, retires and the next big star could emerge at the exactly right time. Van Niekerk is a stud and a bit more calm than Bolt. I like him.

What can Jager do in the steeple. Monaco showed that he is a contender even for gold and end an incredible Kenyan streak. But everything needs to go according to plan. I like Jager too, but I am not sure what I should think of the latest fancy bear documenta. However, he did a gold Podcast with letsrun afterwards.

Will we see a crazy battle for the high jump victory? Talent is so high in this discipline at the moment that I think it's only a matter of time until the world record falls.

And always interesting are the different body shapes of the athletes. From the tiny african runners and skinny high jumpers to the bully sprinters and big throwers. But sometimes you get to see even major differences in the same event.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
I am really excited. I was watching pretty much every Diamond League meet in the past two years, checking letsrun daily etc. Swim worlds were beautiful, but watching sport is even greater when you know the protagonists.

As a slowtwitch fibre guy I have an aptitude for the endurance events. But I am also more and more interested in the sprint and field action.

While it is always a blast to see Farahs last lap, I am not sure if he can come through one more time. I mean in 8 times out of ten he will still do it. But still chances are intact for the africans. But it needs a gutsy race.
I hope one of the Robertson twins out of New Zealand can place high. They are cool guys with a crazy story.

Bolt, the showman, retires and the next big star could emerge at the exactly right time. Van Niekerk is a stud and a bit more calm than Bolt. I like him.

What can Jager do in the steeple. Monaco showed that he is a contender even for gold and end an incredible Kenyan streak. But everything needs to go according to plan. I like Jager too, but I am not sure what I should think of the latest fancy bear documenta. However, he did a gold Podcast with letsrun afterwards.

Will we see a crazy battle for the high jump victory? Talent is so high in this discipline at the moment that I think it's only a matter of time until the world record falls.

And always interesting are the different body shapes of the athletes. From the tiny african runners and skinny high jumpers to the bully sprinters and big throwers. But sometimes you get to see even major differences in the same event.

On the body type front, the most interesting I find is actually in the 100m. You have skinny kids like deGrasse from Canada who look like they would not make their local highschool football team in ANY position and would be the geek in the corner sipping on a coke at the party, against guys like Gatlin who look like they can play running back in the NFL.

I also find the high jump and pole vault to be very interesting events for watching. Just the suspense especially in the pole vault.

OK, we have to fill the "gap" before Aru-Froome-Contador keep us entertained in the Vuelta. Track World's takes me back to my roots, with the 1983 IAAF World's in Helsinki. There was a young Carl Lewis warming up for the LA Olympics, and you had the team Great Britain 1500m smackdown with the likes of Coe and Ovett. Here is a video from the LA Olympics Finals. Between the three of them they had the 1500m world record holder, the 1980 Olympic World Champion and the 1983 Helsinki World's champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrxCe3ZOOM

What is crazy is Mo Farah's pb is 3:28 in the 1500m now!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 30, 17 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

This IAAF World's in London is supposed to be Bolt's retirement party! The start list is up posted by season's best that you can get from the IAAF page: https://www.iaaf.org/...reviews-2017-world-c

Just posting on some of my favourite events/atheltes that I am looking forward to:

100m F: Elaine Thompson should be the queen. Will Daphne Schippers (NL) be best of the rest?

100m: 21 year old Christian Coleman has run the season's best with a 9.82. Andre de Grasse, a year older pushed Bolt "a bit" last year at Rio. The young guys are coming on strong. I still want Bolt to go out with this win. Let's see. Gatlin on deck to push all these guys.

200m: Interesting that the fastest 200m times this year have been posted out of the continent of Africa: Van Niekerk 19.84 and Maklawa (from Botswana) 19.79. I am hoping our local boy Andre de Grasse can push these guys and Bolt for a medal

400m F: Is there a more technically beautiful runner than Allyson Felix. This seems like her race to lose

400m: I'm going for Van Niekerk all the way. Love this guy's running form. Makwala from Botswana posted a 43.70 this year. These Afrcians are fast

4x100: Season fastest times don't mean a ton since you never have the fast guys running together for their national team for the big meets. This should be the domain of a massive USA vs Jamaica smackdown....Great Britian and Canada have the two fastest times this year. Women's competition should be a Jamaica vs USA. I love the relays (more so the 4x100, but 4x400m is awesome....look out for Botswana men in the 4x400 to post a sub 3 min time).

Jumping up to the 5000m, the Ethopians Edris and Barega posted 12:55 times this year. Will they take it out in a drag race and try to wear down Mo Farah, or let his sit in for a sprint and give him the win at home? Of course the problem with this plan is that Mo's 5000m PB is 12:53....so he's going to sit in on all you idiots and still try to outkick you. In the 10000m Mo has run the 3rd fastest time this season. Rupp is on deck in this event. From Canada, we have Mohammad Ahmad who has been close to the front with all these guys....let's see what he can do in the 5k/10K double

OK, let's get the banter going since the Tour and Wimbledon are over the Vuelta has not started, US Open is still on the horizon, there is no Euro or FIFA World Cup this summer, Swimming worlds are done today, gotta wait for doped out NFL and Euro Pro Football till Sep and otherwise I am stuck with Nascar and Baseball...well on a plus note Tim Raines hits Cooperstown today.....GO ROCK!!!!

I think Bolt will win the 100, he always seems to peak at the right time. Don't think he's running the 200 though. Kwemoi will crush the 1500
Don't think Rupp has a spot, hes only an alternate after his very disappointing performance during US 10k nationals, seems he's having a tough time after moving to marathon. Believe SloMo will win the 10000 in a slow race as usual. Bekele dropped out of the marathon claiming he's unfit, hopefully that means he will run Berlin instead and we will get an epic battle with Kipchoge and Kipsang.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Jul 30, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for this to start!

Love watching athletics. I have followed Diamond league the past few seasons too. I believe i read bolt will NOT run the 200m (no idea why?). Other than that, i love the high vault competition. I think it started 3 years ago when Barshim and Bondarenko kept comming to each Diamond league race and aaaalmost beat the world record, damn it was so close on so many occasions, maybe it is finally time?
Marathon is also just fun because you just sit there thinking, how is it humanly possible to run this fast?!
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mo is so hard to beat because of his versatility. As mentioned above his 1500m is crazy fast and of course he can close the last 300-400m insanely. But he also has quite quick personal bests so you can't expect to drop him easily. But a fast race would make it harder for him.

Jeez, I consider myself a decent runner with about 33ish 10k. But to watch track is quite frustrating. These guys jog around in 30s for 200m and I think, man, I would need to push all out to just keep up. Amazing.

Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
Mo is so hard to beat because of his versatility. As mentioned above his 1500m is crazy fast and of course he can close the last 300-400m insanely. But he also has quite quick personal bests so you can't expect to drop him easily. But a fast race would make it harder for him.

Jeez, I consider myself a decent runner with about 33ish 10k. But to watch track is quite frustrating. These guys jog around in 30s for 200m and I think, man, I would need to push all out to just keep up. Amazing.

From what I recall reading, Mo and Galen Rupp can do ~ 49 seconds per 100m. At the London Olympics Mo closed the last mile of the 5000m with a sub 4 and the last lap was 53 seconds. I remember watching it and thinking, "they've come a long way from Bannister when they beat Bannister inside a 5000m Olympic race with no pacers".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:

From what I recall reading, Mo and Galen Rupp can do ~ 49 seconds per 100m. At the London Olympics Mo closed the last mile of the 5000m with a sub 4 and the last lap was 53 seconds. I remember watching it and thinking, "they've come a long way from Bannister when they beat Bannister inside a 5000m Olympic race with no pacers".

Yeah absolutely. And it showes that track (and even Marathon) runners are far from slowtwitch only. They really need some fast firing fibres in their muscles too.

And we can relate to the times because we know what it takes to run a 50s 400. Let alone at the end of a race. But I guess for the average Joe it just looks like brisk running. Especially the africans float so beautifully that it almost looks like jogging in the early stages of race.

Last edited by: ToBeasy: Jul 30, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy that in my opinion could be very dangerous for Farah in the 5k is actually only running the 1500m (whom you rightfully said will crush it).

Ronald Kwemoi has a similar 1500m PB to Farah (3:28) but his time is more up to date. He is still very young but on fire. The 5000m pb is around 13:15 but I think he could go way faster as he has strong endurance. And in a sit and kick race he could give Farah a run for his money. But sadly we will never see that duel.

Btw I don't want to see Farah lose. But I want to see a tight race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
The guy that in my opinion could be very dangerous for Farah in the 5k is actually only running the 1500m (whom you rightfully said will crush it).

Ronald Kwemoi has a similar 1500m PB to Farah (3:28) but his time is more up to date. He is still very young but on fire. The 5000m pb is around 13:15 but I think he could go way faster as he has strong endurance. And in a sit and kick race he could give Farah a run for his money. But sadly we will never see that duel.

Btw I don't want to see Farah lose. But I want to see a tight race.
I agree, Kwemoi's best distance might turn out to be the 5000m so too bad he isn't running, he has a crazy kick and is one of the few who can outkick Mo. I do think Kwemoi has a chance for a wr in the 1500 soon, but would likely have to be a set up attempt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so gutted that David Rudisha is out with injurie. He was not up to full gears this season but I was hoping to see hin just show up at worlds and light maybe his last big firework.
What a race that was five years ago when he run WR in an olympic final with no rabbits and alone from the front. I still watch it on youtube from time to time.

So it's the chance for the next stars. Can US based phenom Korir run to glory like his coach did? Or is it Amos to step up his game?

Btw. Kenyan Atheltics ridiculously screwed it with athletes selection. They can select four and Rudisha as reigning champ was (not so) obviously set. But then they did not just take the three fastest guys from the trials and handed out another wildcard. And at the end they failed to name a spare athlete. So now with Rudisha out there will only be three Kenyans in the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so I just get this facebook message from one of my classmates from High School living in London saying he has an extra ticket for me for Bolt's 100m retirement race on Sunday. The problem is that I am going on a short family vacation leaving on Sunday. I think my wife would kill me if I blow off the family vacation and get on an airplane to London tomorrow from Canada to make in time for Bolt's retirement race on Sunday....why does life always work out this way!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping the distance events are fast from the beginning. I hate it when it is lake a basketball game determined in the last 400m If you know a guy like Mo is going to beat you if you all go slow why not go down fighting. Thats what Steve would do.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I am hoping the distance events are fast from the beginning. I hate it when it is lake a basketball game determined in the last 400m If you know a guy like Mo is going to beat you if you all go slow why not go down fighting. Thats what Steve would do.

I think the problem with fast from the beginning is everyone knows that the pace is not physiologically sustainable, so they sit back at the known sustainable place knowing everyone will come back. Let's do the math. 5000m world record is 12:53. 60 second laps is 12:30. Anyone going out at faster than 62 seconds WILL blow up. It's like Contador taking it out at record climbing place on Croix de Fer. They know he will move back on Telegraphe and Galibier. So the question is "how fast can they take it out". I believe the answer is "no faster than 62". The problem is that Mo will sit back and run 63-64 seconds knowing that only a few guys can sustain 62 and then use the other idiots to close the gap on them and then be in position to outkick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is it.

And noone wants to sacrifice himself for the group to beat Mo. Better fight for second than blow up at the end. Champuonship races are without rabbits, so the one who goes out and sets a hard pace will eventually get dropped by those sitting on the heels.
Kenyans could apply a team tactic like that or they could take turns attacking.
But again, who is going to sacrifice his race. And I think it would be similar like in the Tour. Podium contenders watch each other and close down every gap and Farah sits behind, laughing.

But yes, the only way to beat him would be to go out in suicidal pace. In Prefontaine style.

Btw. Above I wrote about Kwemoi being on fire. In Monaco he obviously had problems with his legs and had to be supported. Now I found out that he lost a week of trainig thereafter.
When he still feels the injurie that would be bad. But when he is fine now, that little break could be a blessing in disguise for the 1500m final. I think he trained bloody hard all seoson so a bit of rest could actually be good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
len wrote:

I think the problem with fast from the beginning is everyone knows that the pace is not physiologically sustainable, so they sit back at the known sustainable place knowing everyone will come back. Let's do the math. 5000m world record is 12:53. 60 second laps is 12:30. Anyone going out at faster than 62 seconds WILL blow up. It's like Contador taking it out at record climbing place on Croix de Fer. They know he will move back on Telegraphe and Galibier. So the question is "how fast can they take it out". I believe the answer is "no faster than 62". The problem is that Mo will sit back and run 63-64 seconds knowing that only a few guys can sustain 62 and then use the other idiots to close the gap on them and then be in position to outkick!
But the world record is 12:37, so 60,5s laps. Would love to see the group go out hard, but I think there is a big chance they barely break 13. Mo has said thoug that we should expect something special in the 10000m so hopefully a fast time there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why I was thinking 12:53, but I think it is because this year's season's best was in that range....so revise numbers by 1 to 1.5 second per lap and we have the correct numbers.

Here are your top 50 all time. No one has broken 12:51 since 2013. Not sure if the runners got slower or all those fast times were before blood passport/ more stringent testing. We still have some top 50 times standing from the early 80's too:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_5000ok.htm

All-time men's best 5000m[/url]
[/url]

1 12:37.35 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Hengelo 31.05.2004 2 12:39.36 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Helsinki 13.06.1998 3 12:39.74 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Bruxelles 22.08.1997 4 12:40.18 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Saint-Denis 01.07.2005 5 12:41.86 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 13.08.1997 6 12:44.39 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 16.08.1995 7 12:44.90 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 2 Zürich 13.08.1997 8 12:45.09 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Zürich 14.08.1996 9 12:46.53 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Roma 02.07.2004 10 12:46.81 Dejen Gebremeskel ETH 24.11.89 1 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 11 12:47.04 Sileshi Sihine ETH 29.01.83 2 Roma 02.07.2004 12 12:47.53 Hagos Gebrhiwet ETH 11.05.94 2 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 13 12:48.09 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Bruxelles 25.08.2006 14 12:48.25 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 18.08.2006 15 12:48.64 Isiah Koech KEN 19.12.93 3 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 16 12:48.66 Issac Songok KEN 25.04.84 2 Zürich 18.08.2006 17 12:48.77 Yenew Alamirew ETH 27.05.90 4 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 18 12:48.81 Stephen Cherono KEN 15.10.82 1 Ostrava 12.06.2003 19 12:48.98 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Roma 05.06.1997 20 12:49.04 Thomas Longosiwa KEN 14.01.82 5 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 21 12:49.28 Brahim Lahlafi MAR 15.04.68 1 Bruxelles 25.08.2000 22 12:49.50 John Kipkoech KEN 29.12.91 6 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 23 12:49.53 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zaragoza 28.07.2007 24 12:49.64 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 11.08.1999 25 12:49.71 Mohammed Mourhit BEL 10.10.70 2 Bruxelles 25.08.2000 26 12:49.87 Paul Tergat KEN 17.06.69 3 Zürich 13.08.1997 27 12:50.16 Sileshi Sihine ETH 29.01.83 1 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 28 12:50.18 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 29.08.2008 29 12:50.22 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Bruxelles 26.08.2005 30 12:50.24 Hicham El Guerrouj MAR 14.09.74 2 Ostrava 12.06.2003 31 12:50.25 Abderrahim Goumri MAR 21.05.76 2 Bruxelles 26.08.2005 32 12:50.38 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 2 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 33 12:50.55 Moses Masai KEN 01.06.86 1 Berlin 01.06.2008 34 12:50.72 Moses Kipsiro UGA 02.09.86 3 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 35 12:50.80 Salah Hissou MAR 16.01.72 1 Roma 05.06.1996 36 12:50.86 Ali Saïdi-Sief ALG 15.03.78 1 Roma 30.06.2000 37 12:51.00 Joseph Ebuya KEN 20.06.87 4 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 38 12:51.21 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Ad-Dawhah 14.05.2010 39 12:51.32 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Saint-Denis 08.07.2006 40 12:51.34 Edwin Cheruiyot Soi KEN 03.03.86 1 Monaco 19.07.2013 41 12:51.44 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Roma 14.07.2006 42 12:51.45 Vincent Chepkok KEN 05.07.88 2 Ad-Dawhah 14.05.2010 43 12:51.60 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Stockholm 08.07.1996 44 12:51.95 Thomas Longosiwa KEN 14.01.82 5 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 45 12:51.96 Albert Rop BRN 17.07.92 2 Monaco 19.07.2013 46 12:51.98 Saif Saeed Shaheen QAT 15.10.82 2 Roma 14.07.2006 47 12:52.26 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Oslo 27.06.2003 48 12:52.29 Issac Songok KEN 25.04.84 1 Roma 08.07.2005 49 12:52.32 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 28.08.2009 50 12:52.33 Sammy Kipketer KEN 29.09.81 2 Oslo 27.06.2003
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I don't know why I was thinking 12:53, but I think it is because this year's season's best was in that range....so revise numbers by 1 to 1.5 second per lap and we have the correct numbers.

Here are your top 50 all time. No one has broken 12:51 since 2013. Not sure if the runners got slower or all those fast times were before blood passport/ more stringent testing. We still have some top 50 times standing from the early 80's too:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_5000ok.htm

All-time men's best 5000m[/url]
[/url]

1 12:37.35 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Hengelo 31.05.2004 2 12:39.36 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Helsinki 13.06.1998 3 12:39.74 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Bruxelles 22.08.1997 4 12:40.18 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Saint-Denis 01.07.2005 5 12:41.86 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 13.08.1997 6 12:44.39 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 16.08.1995 7 12:44.90 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 2 Zürich 13.08.1997 8 12:45.09 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Zürich 14.08.1996 9 12:46.53 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Roma 02.07.2004 10 12:46.81 Dejen Gebremeskel ETH 24.11.89 1 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 11 12:47.04 Sileshi Sihine ETH 29.01.83 2 Roma 02.07.2004 12 12:47.53 Hagos Gebrhiwet ETH 11.05.94 2 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 13 12:48.09 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Bruxelles 25.08.2006 14 12:48.25 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 18.08.2006 15 12:48.64 Isiah Koech KEN 19.12.93 3 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 16 12:48.66 Issac Songok KEN 25.04.84 2 Zürich 18.08.2006 17 12:48.77 Yenew Alamirew ETH 27.05.90 4 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 18 12:48.81 Stephen Cherono KEN 15.10.82 1 Ostrava 12.06.2003 19 12:48.98 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Roma 05.06.1997 20 12:49.04 Thomas Longosiwa KEN 14.01.82 5 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 21 12:49.28 Brahim Lahlafi MAR 15.04.68 1 Bruxelles 25.08.2000 22 12:49.50 John Kipkoech KEN 29.12.91 6 Saint-Denis 06.07.2012 23 12:49.53 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zaragoza 28.07.2007 24 12:49.64 Haile Gebrselassie ETH 18.04.73 1 Zürich 11.08.1999 25 12:49.71 Mohammed Mourhit BEL 10.10.70 2 Bruxelles 25.08.2000 26 12:49.87 Paul Tergat KEN 17.06.69 3 Zürich 13.08.1997 27 12:50.16 Sileshi Sihine ETH 29.01.83 1 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 28 12:50.18 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 29.08.2008 29 12:50.22 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Bruxelles 26.08.2005 30 12:50.24 Hicham El Guerrouj MAR 14.09.74 2 Ostrava 12.06.2003 31 12:50.25 Abderrahim Goumri MAR 21.05.76 2 Bruxelles 26.08.2005 32 12:50.38 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 2 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 33 12:50.55 Moses Masai KEN 01.06.86 1 Berlin 01.06.2008 34 12:50.72 Moses Kipsiro UGA 02.09.86 3 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 35 12:50.80 Salah Hissou MAR 16.01.72 1 Roma 05.06.1996 36 12:50.86 Ali Saïdi-Sief ALG 15.03.78 1 Roma 30.06.2000 37 12:51.00 Joseph Ebuya KEN 20.06.87 4 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 38 12:51.21 Eliud Kipchoge KEN 05.11.84 1 Ad-Dawhah 14.05.2010 39 12:51.32 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Saint-Denis 08.07.2006 40 12:51.34 Edwin Cheruiyot Soi KEN 03.03.86 1 Monaco 19.07.2013 41 12:51.44 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Roma 14.07.2006 42 12:51.45 Vincent Chepkok KEN 05.07.88 2 Ad-Dawhah 14.05.2010 43 12:51.60 Daniel Komen KEN 17.05.76 1 Stockholm 08.07.1996 44 12:51.95 Thomas Longosiwa KEN 14.01.82 5 Bruxelles 14.09.2007 45 12:51.96 Albert Rop BRN 17.07.92 2 Monaco 19.07.2013 46 12:51.98 Saif Saeed Shaheen QAT 15.10.82 2 Roma 14.07.2006 47 12:52.26 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Oslo 27.06.2003 48 12:52.29 Issac Songok KEN 25.04.84 1 Roma 08.07.2005 49 12:52.32 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 13.06.82 1 Zürich 28.08.2009 50 12:52.33 Sammy Kipketer KEN 29.09.81 2 Oslo 27.06.2003
I don't think the slower times has anything to do with doping or passports, simply that the racers have become smarter. Maybe there was a time where mo could challenge the wr, but now he would be nowhere close. So then his best option is to "just" win. I mean look at the 800m in rio, just ridiculous! The same reason the Olympic record for the 5000 is 20 seconds slower than wr, no one has the balls to go after it and risk the race! Besides Monaco there are almost never any fast times. I do think that kwemoi can go close to the wr, although he still isn't as fun of a racer to watch as bekele.
Now, Berlin, if Bekele shows up will be a real fight! Can imagine Bekele, Kipchoge and Mutai's hitting low 14's for 25-30k.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I see is KEN ETH KEN ETH KEN ETC. Surely there is enough of those guys to get together a share the load strategy. I guess if that made sense they would already be doing it. I guess I can go to the bathroom for the first 10 min or make a snack. If they even televise that part. I won't miss Daphne though!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SloMo strikes again! Though he undoubtedly had to work for it today. Too few surges to break him though. Fast last K and a good time! Think he will have an even tougher time in the 5000, but it is incredible that he still has that amazing 1500 speed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely incredible race from Mo. The greatest on the track. What a man.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
legend.
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
legend.

I can't wait to get to my pvr tonite after work!!! kiki....do you see that awesome dorsiflex of his right foot....wish I could do that right now....still working on it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:>

that last 50m was insane, he knew he had it
Quote Reply
Re: IAAF Track Works: Bolt-Gatlin-Farah-Thompson-Felix - Van Niekerk- [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a race. 26:49 with such uneven pace!

Mo absolutely deserved the win. But the others tried something. Did you See how nervous it got when Mo made his move from back of the pack to the front. Crazy.

Btw. How cut looks Mo?! There are other very skinny (or skinnier) guys in the field. Mo is rail thin too but with very defined muscles. It looks fucking freakish.

Quote Reply

Prev Next